Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get tired of the MugWmps and bears as in this article. Profit From Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Stock No Matter Which Way It Moves

Look at GM, yes a failed company that has its comback story thanks to the President stepping in and federal aide. Tesla will make it because I say so:) It has too. Everyone else has failed me Religoiuslly, Politically and humanity wise, so Tesla has to succeed. I just want something good to believe in and get tired of the same ol' song of its going to fail, or it will make it if it does not fail. Have a pair and commit ~ invest and buy an MX. Oh, and do not forget the solar panels:)

They told me I would not succeed in college, they told me I could not make it as an officer in the army, they told me no at every turn, but I like the enigizer bunny kept on trucken. So will Tesla:)

I get tired of the MugWmps and bears as in this article. Profit From Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Stock No Matter Which Way It Moves

Look at GM, yes a failed company that has its comback story thanks to the President stepping in and federal aide. Tesla will make it because I say so:) It has too. Everyone else has failed me Religoiuslly, Politically and humanity wise, so Tesla has to succeed. I just want something good to believe in and get tired of the same ol' song of its going to fail, or it will make it if it does not fail. Have a pair and commit ~ invest and buy an MX. Oh, and do not forget the solar panels:)

They told me I would not succeed in college, they told me I could not make it as an officer in the army, they told me no at every turn, but I like the enigizer bunny kept on trucken. So will Tesla:)

I firmly disagree with the article you posted. Straddles are great, but there are better ways to hedge, that involve less risk, with the potential for far greater returns.

The authors overly simplistic view of how hedging works is a bit funny.

The author isn't even really a "bear". He simply states Tesla will either be a lot lower or a lot higher by the end of 2018. This is a great example of someone stating the obvious. :rolleyes:

And note that it only affects 2012 models.

For now. It will expand in the future to affect all Model Ss through late 2016. The "problem" is that a component of the Takata air bag degrades over time and degrades faster in humid environments. Therefore, as of now it is only a potential problem for 2012 models in humid environments.

Here is the email I received from Tesla:

As part of a recent expansion of the industry-wide recall of Takata airbag inflators, the passenger airbags in certain 2012 Model S vehicles are now affected by the recall, and Tesla will be replacing them. Although the Takata recall currently only applies to 2012 Model S vehicles located in regions of the United States designated as high humidity, Tesla will replace the passenger airbags in all 2012 Model S vehicles globally. The safety of our customers is paramount and Tesla is taking this action even though there have been no airbag ruptures or other related incidents in any of its vehicles.

If you own a 2012 Model S vehicle, Tesla will contact you to schedule your replacement service. At this time there is no immediate action that you need to take.

As with the tens of millions of other vehicles with Takata airbags, this recall is taking place according to the schedule determined by the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Tesla intends to follow the same schedule for replacements in other countries as well – even where local regulators have not required a recall. This schedule ensures that customers will have sufficient time to replace recalled airbags before they present a risk to safety, due to the fact that the inflators only become defective based on a number of different factors, including their age.

Although the current recall only applies to 2012 Model S vehicles, the passenger airbags of all Model S vehicles produced through late 2016 are expected to eventually be recalled. If you own a Model S produced between 2013 and 2016, your airbags are safe, and you do not need to take any action until you receive further notice from Tesla. As noted by NHTSA, customers do not need to be concerned about Takata inflators before they receive a recall notice. Nevertheless, for convenience and peace of mind, Tesla will make every effort to proactively replace the airbags of all affected vehicles even before they are recalled. This will be performed as parts supply allows, and at this time you do not need to take any action.
The recalls will not affect any Tesla vehicles currently being produced, Model S vehicles that were produced after late 2016, or any Tesla Roadster or Model X vehicles. These vehicles do not have the type of airbag inflator that is subject to the recall.

For more information, FAQs, and other details related to this recall, please visit the Recall Information page. If you need additional assistance, you can also contact us by phone at (877) 798‑3752 or by email at [email protected].

Thank you for being a Tesla customer and working with us to ensure your safety. We apologize for any inconvenience.​

I firmly disagree with the article you posted. Straddles are great, but there are better ways to hedge, that involve less risk, with the potential for far greater returns.

The authors overly simplistic view of how hedging works is a bit funny.

The author isn't even really a "bear". He simply states Tesla will either be a lot lower or a lot higher by the end of 2018. This is a great example of someone stating the obvious. :rolleyes:
The author made it sound like a slam dunk that TSLA will be either <$120 or >$320 within the next 2 years for him to make any money at all. Looking back 3 years, even with all the coolaid-fest and the ensuing cool-off dips, TSLA traded between ~$140s to $280s, so his certainty of this binary outcome seems a little baseless.

Reactions: neroden and dakh
According to Reuters News Brief Nevada Governor indicated that Tesla increasing their capital investment in Nevada by $350 million, which will be spent on including production of Model 3 drive-trains at the GF. This was reported before, but official announcement from the Nevada Governor might provide for a nice tail wind for TSLA.

Someone was worried about the launch counter controversy hitting the mainstream news. Tesla is removing the counters, it's not an issue anymore: Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

I look forward to the day that TM has a high performance roadster/supercar/"S XT" or something that they can optimize for speed and racing. Funny that the same car I use to commute and drive my daughter around is the same car (sorta) that get's tied up in "but I want to outrun Ferraris" controversies.

Anyone attempting to trade today's SP movements?

I'm mentally burned out after unloading options on Fri, trying to buy options yesterday morning and failing, piling (like 3x my usual amount) into the stock in the high 235s but selling most of it towards close in the low 236s, only to see this morning's strong open..... maybe I'll just ignore it for a few days! I'm 95% invested, but it's mostly stock, not much options.

Anyone attempting to trade today's SP movements?

I'm mentally burned out after unloading options on Fri, trying to buy options yesterday morning and failing, piling (like 3x my usual amount) into the stock in the high 235s but selling most of it towards close in the low 236s, only to see this morning's strong open..... maybe I'll just ignore it for a few days! I'm 95% invested, but it's mostly stock, not much options.
I think day to day it's too hard to know what will happen. On the other hand, it looks like we are in the trend still so until it's broken it's going to follow the trend.
upload_2017-1-18_10-59-0.png

I am bearish for the next few weeks still... which means TSLA is going to ATH, of course.

But if TSLA does drop due to the market, it doesn't have any real bearing on the overall TSLA story not matter what the technicians say. Certainly, there is risk going into Q4 ER in February, so short term traders beware, more than usual.

OTOH, Q1 will be very, very interesting.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
You are spot on about that pattern and the buying dip. I took advantage of this as well.

I'm struggling with is the options vs stock on margin decision. These dips and peaks are not trade-able with ops because of low volume. I think the best strategy is accept the fact I will be heavily on margin for short periods of time...

That and accept the fact this is mentally exhausting and I will eventually get sick of trying to day trade this stock even tho I both like day trading and I like this stock :).

Nice dip buying there!

Status
Not open for further replies.