Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Repeat: TSLA is volatile. 10% moves in short periods are *normal*. I had to accept this before I bought my first shares back in the $30s.

I'm more concerned about the continuing appallingly bad, inefficient, incompetent communications at Tesla (which I just had to deal with two more times) than the short term fluctuations in the stock price. I was expecting the stock to go up to $300 by the *end of 2017* if you remember... so we're a bit early...

Going long in short term calls is a mug's game. :-(

Yeah, yeah, I know. Short term is a fool's game.

So, to refresh these numbers, I sat down, reviewed various sources, and calculated:
164.19 million shares total

Here's the ones who will not sell any time soon:

33.63 million held by Musk (after the most recent conversions) -- down to 20.4%
Another roughly 0.5 million shares held by other insiders (mostly JB Straubel and Kimbal Musk)

5.85 million held by Fidelity Contrafund (ultrabullish, never sells)
0.70 million held by Fidelity Contrafund VIP (same management, I think)
4.42 million held by Fidelity OTC (ultrabullish, never sells)
(Other Fidelity funds may sell, see below)

13.29 million held by Bailie Gifford (decidedly bullish and long-term)

(T Rowe Price often sells, see below)

8.17 million held by Tencent (probably much more, since that was *exactly* 5% at the time of report; nobody ever stops buying just *over* the reporting threshold)

2.69 million held by Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (they have to add more as TSLA goes up)
1.54 million held by Vanguard Extended Market Index (they have to add more as TSLA goes up)
1.41 million held by other Vanguard funds (since they're mostly indexes, same thing for the cap-weighted indexes)

3.79 million at Morgan Stanley (MS is a consistent buyer and rarely sells -- Adam Jonas? -- though they sold a little recently)

3.31 million at Bank of Montreal (Also a consistent buyer and rarely sells, though they sold a little recently)

(Jennison and a bunch of other major institutional holders are not long-termers and have sold lots repeatedly and recently.)

1.15 million held by Powershares QQQ ETF (NASDAQ tracker, they have to add more as TSLA goes up)

1.20 million held by Baron Partners Retail and Focused Growth Retail (Ron Baron, "never sell" bull)

1.07 million held by Harbor Capital Appreciation Institutional (seems consistently bullish)

1.17 million held by Primecap (secretive, definitely long-termers, super low turnover; has sold some but might be cash outflows from mutual funds)

1.58 million held by BAMCO (seems consistently bullish after selling out in June 2013 and buying back in March 2014 -- *someone* isn't making the same mistake twice)

And some other big holders which are more likely to sell:

2.38 million held by Fidelity Blue Chip Growth (DOES sell sometimes)
1.88 million held by Fidelity Growth Company (DOES sell sometimes)
1.04 million held by Fidelity Advisor New Insights A
4.64 million held by other Fidelity funds

2.74 million held by T Rowe Price Growth Stock (usuallly bullish but did sell recently)
1.13 million held by T Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth (bought recently)
8.03 million held by various other T Rowe Price funds (many do sell)

1.36 million held by American Funds NVIT Growth II (managed by American Funds, a division of Capital Group)
1.33 million held by VA CollegeAmerica New Perspective 529E (managed by American Funds, a division of Capital Group)
2.07 million held by Capital World Investors (a different division of Capital Group -- they've been selling since 2012)

Anyway, I estimate 50.27 million shares in the hands of long-term "rarely sell" institutional investors / mutual funds. Plus whatever Tencent has accumulated above 5%. That leaves about 79.79 million shares floating (including the "fast trading" and "weak long" mutual funds and institutions). Minus whatever Tencent has accumulated.

There are 31.58 million shares short (as of the 13th, possibly more now). The shares sold short are bought by additional longs, so the "available for trading" shares are around 111.37 million, minus whatever Tencent has accumulated, and any "long-term longs" (like many of us) who I didn't get in my count. To cover the short shares, the short-sellers must buy 28% of this total. To put it another way, more than 28% of the shares currently available for trading were created by short sellers. They will have to buy them back and find enough "weak longs" to buy them back from. Every time there's good news this becomes harder.

If I guess that Tencent has grabbed another 4.9% (to stay just below the 10% reporting threshold), it would be another 8.08 milion shares off the market.

Addition to the S&P 500 would require a minimum of 4% of the "float" (according to certain definitions) be purchased by just the *biggest* S&P tracker funds. It'll probably be more like 10% (including "closest index" funds and funds which aren't allowed to invest in companies which haven't shown 4 quarters of profit). For this purpose, I'm not sure how they calculate "float", but I figure they basically just exclude Musk and Tencent, so 122.39 million. 4% is 4.89 million. 10% is 12.24 million.

This could bring us down to 59.47 million real shares which are really available for sale (not counting the possibility of a macro crisis causing massive index fund redemptions). With a short interest of 31.5 million... well, then the shorts have to buy one out of every three shares available for trading in order to close out their positions. A lot of buying pressure.

Good info. Does anyone has any ballpark estimates for retail as a percentage of float in Tesla and what percentage of those you could consider real longs?

We had a re-test earlier today of the break-out that occurred on 4/03. TSLA bounced successfully off that so far. A close above 295 would mean we closed within the MM expected move for earnings. That could be all she wrote in terms of dip-buying opportunities.
Action into the close will be informative IMO.

Agreed. It is easy to get distracted by short term chart moves (recent trendlines that others posted earlier) and the "300 barrier", but IMO the technical play you point out - the break-out of the previous ATH of 295 - holds far more weight. Seeing strong support around 295 is very encouraging. Months from now this will simply look like a new double-bottom support point on the monthly/annual chart. Thus setting any stops between the previous ATH break-out of 295 and the psychological barrier of 300 would have put some people in a tight spot.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
What a shocker, we landed just inside the implied move bounds based on option pricing. Market Makers win again.
Ah, that could explain it. Watching that flatline price action on Level 2 data was fascinating. There were lots of 10k buy orders flashing momentarily at exactly 295 then disappearing without getting filled. Today's afternoon trading looked quite unusual.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and zdriver
Ah, that could explain it. Watching that flatline price action on Level 2 data was fascinating. There were lots of 10k buy orders flashing momentarily at exactly 295 then disappearing without getting filled. Today's afternoon trading looked quite unusual.

I agree. There was a lot of volume warring over the $260 mark for an usually long time. And for 45 minutes, the trading range was unusually tight.

From Papafox's helpful post from the last ER, day after (2/23/2017), #535

tsxlafeb23-jpg.216094

Today's chart is definitely stronger:

TSLA5-4-2017.png

We didn't end up at low of day. Hopefully that means something positive.

Added another 100 shares to my stockpile today in the form of DIM Jan 2019 calls. This dip was an absolute gift. Anyone who views negative EPS at this stage of Tesla's growth as a negative is a moron. What matters is $4,000,000,000 in cash, doubling of revenue, Model 3 on track for July, etc. Sales this year will be over $15 Billion, and in just 2020, $70 Billion based on 1 million cars without taking into account Tesla Energy, which means it could be over $100 Billion just 3 years from now. Every dip is a buying opportunity delivered by shorts and weak longs - LOVE THOSE GUYS!!!

Added another 100 shares to my stockpile today in the form of DIM Jan 2019 calls. This dip was an absolute gift. Anyone who views negative EPS at this stage of Tesla's growth as a negative is a moron. What matters is $4,000,000,000 in cash, doubling of revenue, Model 3 on track for July, etc. Sales this year will be over $15 Billion, and in just 2020, $70 Billion based on 1 million cars without taking into account Tesla Energy, which means it could be over $100 Billion just 3 years from now. Every dip is a buying opportunity delivered by shorts and weak longs - LOVE THOSE GUYS!!!

Yep, this is going to be the last chance to get involve with TSLA so cheap. Next one will be the next market crash, but if it happens in more than 2 years, even if TSLA lose 50%, it might still be over 400 dollars ...

Reactions: Turing
did you deal with your margin call? were you able to exit in 300s or you wait til broker sells out for you?
I've still got margin calls for about $137 k due next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'll sell some shares then unless it rebounds before then and reduces my margin calls. No big deal. I did not sell a single share today nor will I unless absolutely necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.