Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We must be entering short squeeze territory here.... it just keeps going up! Pity most of my options expired friday..... lucky I exercised some of them so I have some stock to ride.

I have a theory which is merely based on feeling:

EVIDENCE
- steady stock rise within clearly defined boundaries
- no pullback, no profit taking. Basically just a continuous climb.
- shorts activity remains very strong with high short interest
- positive market sentiment towards the stock since the beginning of the year. The narrative has been "this is the year of M3".
- little ammo for shorts to combat the rise since not a lot of shares are available for shorting making them vulnerable.

CONSPIRACY THEORY
Someone has set an algo to buy stock in order to cause a steady rise (according to a predetermined growth rate) and squeeze the shorts out.
They are capitalising on relatively low prices and on a generally positive market sentiment that could support the rise and targeting TSLA given the very high short interest and low amount of shares available for shorting.

Too crazy? Resources needed would probably be quite high. Maybe it's Elon? :p
Couldn't be Elon for two obvious reasons - the vast majority of his wealth is already tied up in Tesla and SpaceX, and if it were Elon, it would be a truly massive SEC violation to do that.

I agree somebody is playing a game here, its just a mystery as to who.

Reactions: T3slaTulips
If the M3 launch is a success they'll sell debt, not equity for GF2. Why dilute shares if not necessary, especially with interest rates so low?
Yeah I guess it would depend on the stock price. My take is why do debt if you could do an easy cap raise? If it's pushing 350 or 400 a big cap raise could probably be done with very minimal dilution but I don't know, I guess we'll find out.

Couldn't be Elon for two obvious reasons - the vast majority of his wealth is already tied up in Tesla and SpaceX, and if it were Elon, it would be a truly massive SEC violation to do that.

FWIW, I'm still not convinced my theory of it being Trump in some form or other (either personally, through family, or through the Trump Organization) isn't correct. The timing fits.

All it takes is for some hedge fund manager or investment bank to actually buy (or drive) a Tesla. When you do, it v quickly becomes obvious, viscerally obvious, that this is the future of the automobile. Suddenly all that fan-love out there for Tesla switches from being indication of weird cult stock to further evidence of inevitable epic disruption on the way. Once you get that TSLA is surely heading north of $1000 within a few years, it's a no brainer to initiate an accumulation strategy. Volume today was 4.9m shares, about 100k more shares than average. That's only $25m more shares than average. Maybe some one wants to build a quarter-billion dollar position. That could mean 10 days like those of the past week or so, driving the price as much as $50 in the process given that there are clearly fewer sellers about. $50 gain compared with the coming $750 gain is neither here nor there.

Just curious, anyone have info on days to cover for shorts right now?

About 8 days, according to this link: Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Short Interest

That number was predicated on 34M short shares, and the last number I heard was 37.5M shares. On the other hand, volume is picking up, too. So, roughly 8-9 days is a good estimate.

Just in case there's any doubt here - it can't be Elon, as any transaction in TSLA stock he makes must be reported on Form 4 within 2 business days of the transaction. We would definitely know about it right away if Elon, any of his other named executive officers or any Tesla Board members were accumulating (or doing anything) with TSLA stock.

Just in case there's any doubt here - it can't be Elon, as any transaction in TSLA stock he makes must be reported on Form 4 within 2 business days of the transaction. We would definitely know about it right away if Elon, any of his other named executive officers or any Tesla Board members were accumulating (or doing anything) with TSLA stock.

Maybe Apple or Google finally decided to make a buy. VW 2008 all over again sometime soon?

The upward trend is unbroken, up in Europe as of 10:30 MEZ +1.4%, 238.70 €, or 256.53 USD.

If ever the mother of squeezes ( as in Porsche / VW) would happen, are you trading guys (as opposed to me boring buy & hold investor) prepared to profit from it an how ? Having sell orders at ridiculous heights in different steps ? Can somebody compute to what max the SP could top if the +-30m shares short have to be covered ?

I personally am not preparing to do anything as of now, since i am convinced that my selling would mean releaving to a short, something i am not prepared to do...

Thanks for your input.

The upward trend is unbroken, up in Europe as of 10:30 MEZ +1.4%, 238.70 €, or 256.53 USD.

If ever the mother of squeezes ( as in Porsche / VW) would happen, are you trading guys (as opposed to me boring buy & hold investor) prepared to profit from it an how ? Having sell orders at ridiculous heights in different steps ? Can somebody compute to what max the SP could top if the +-30m shares short have to be covered ?

I personally am not preparing to do anything as of now, since i am convinced that my selling would mean releaving to a short, something i am not prepared to do...

Thanks for your input.

I'm not a "trading guy", but I have two options from here. Hold for 15 years and retire a millionaire or sell at +/- 500 and buy a house we want for cash; both are good options, but I, or rather my wife, is undecided.

So we're debating right now whether to put a sell order at 499, just in case there's a spike to take advantage of; then re-buy later with other funds.

Don't know...

Waiting or trading in expectation of a VW/Porsche like squeeze is the investment equivalent of going down to the bodega and buying a lottery ticket. If you can't get exited by a 1 month run from 180-255, you may want to take up MIxed Martial Arts, run with the bulls, or jump out of planes sans parachute....trading is going to be too mundane for your tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.