Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Elon guides for $15-20 Billion in sales (very likely), there could be a steep climb since that is twice what the "analysts" are predicting for 2017....
My guess is that they would have to deliver around 200K M3 to get to $20B revenue in 2017. I just don't see it, maybe 20K-40K is more likely.

Elon said that July production is an impossible goal. Their "pencil down" milestone in June 2016 is delayed by almost a month from when Elon initially mentioned it. So I envision Tesla starting production also at least a month late, in Aug/Sep, then taking 2-3 months to get early feedback and fix production issues, and start really cranking by Nov, getting to the rate of ~20K cars/month (~250K/year), then the last 1-2 months of 2017 full-on production gives you 20-40K.

To get to 200K M3 delivery in 2017, you would need to hit Tesla's 2018 production rate target 500K/yr, for 5 months in 2017 at that rate, that seems very unlikely. To even hit 100K, Tesla needs to be be cranking at that rate by mid Oct, still seems a stretch

• Disagree
Reactions: Gtoffo and MitchJi
Elon said that July production is an impossible goal. Their "pencil down" milestone in June 2016 is delayed by almost a month from when Elon initially mentioned it.
Actually, in early June EM said pencils down in about six weeks. Pencils down was confirmed on July 28 to be two weeks prior ... so 'on time'.

Its bad enough all the jokes about Elon-time without giving him credit for being right occassionally.

My guess is that they would have to deliver around 200K M3 to get to $20B revenue in 2017. I just don't see it, maybe 20K-40K is more likely.

Elon said that July production is an impossible goal. Their "pencil down" milestone in June 2016 is delayed by almost a month from when Elon initially mentioned it. So I envision Tesla starting production also at least a month late, in Aug/Sep, then taking 2-3 months to get early feedback and fix production issues, and start really cranking by Nov, getting to the rate of ~20K cars/month (~250K/year), then the last 1-2 months of 2017 full-on production gives you 20-40K.

To get to 200K M3 delivery in 2017, you would need to hit Tesla's 2018 production rate target 500K/yr, for 5 months in 2017 at that rate, that seems very unlikely. To even hit 100K, Tesla needs to be be cranking at that rate by mid Oct, still seems a stretch

Am I crazy at thinking the number of cars delivered in 2017 is not significant? If it doesn't deliver in 2017, doesn't mean it doesn't get sold eventually in 2018.

Supply side issues is better than demand side issues.

Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
I think you guys are too paranoid. The run up has been steady, and not so fast that the shorts can't meet their legal obligations to cover (aren't they required to have a certain amount of cash to backup their short position?). Without a large catalyst in the next week, I don't think this will change. However, it may be smart to recall shares before ER and 2017 guidance. If Elon guides for $15-20 Billion in sales (very likely), there could be a steep climb since that is twice what the "analysts" are predicting for 2017....
Only the paranoid survive
Andy Grove
TSLA could have a Porsche/VW like short squeeze
You never know
It's entirely possible with the super high short interest and a perfect storm of positive catalysts

Thank you for this very good point. I was surprised that both on Monday and yesterday, although shares available for shorting were essentially depleted before market open, Fidelity did not replenish the supply as they usually do. after reading your post I am wondering if they are getting more conservative on the internal limit of shares (percentage of total) they are willing to lend and reduced it based on assessment that is perhaps similar to yours. If this is true this could turn very ugly for those holding short positions.
Oh good grief, this is not true. Just ask someone knowledgeable at Fidelity (or read your share loaning agreement) if you have doubts.

Am I crazy at thinking the number of cars delivered in 2017 is not significant? If it doesn't deliver in 2017, doesn't mean it doesn't get sold eventually in 2018.

Supply side issues is better than demand side issues.
I agree that the M3 delivery number in 2017 is insignificant, but the production rate existing 2017 would be very significant. If it's not good, it will bring back a lot of bad MX memories.

Actually, in early June EM said pencils down in about six weeks. Pencils down was confirmed on July 28 to be two weeks prior ... so 'on time'.

Its bad enough all the jokes about Elon-time without giving him credit for being right occassionally.
In that case I remember wrong, it's good to see more predictability out of Tesla from an investor perspective, from a technical perspective I hope Elon keeps going hog wild on us

Status
Not open for further replies.