Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we camp out a $370 for a while? It will be fun. We can tell stories, roast shorts, recite bad poetry, and have s'mores.
Everything you said, but no poetry - good or bad, or 370 could turn into 270. Former baseball player. Superstition is like a distinguished guest, you just feel better giving it the respect it is due.

So, the Friday swoon ended up being a massive bear trap. I'm willing to bet there was significant short turnover on Friday - smart shorts covering and new dumb shorts getting in for the "correction to 300" or whatever.

In 2 days the stock is back to an ATH and all those fresh shorts are underwater again - along with all the longtime shorts who are probably making all sorts of offerings and sacrifices to their traditional automaker shrines at this point. Oops!

I admit I got caught up in the trap and added some option positions on that Friday turnover. I think this will correct to 400 as early as July, no later than August.

Am I doing this right?

• Funny
Reactions: austinEV
the margin portion of my portfolio will shrink overtime. I don't see myself keeping it over 150% once my portfolio gets massive in size.
OK, so you've got a plan to deleverage as the stock rises.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how I bypassed the 50% initial margin. My Robinhood app does say 50% initial and it lists me an amount that's much higher than my total portfolio, but I just made the order and it went through, so meh.
Don't tell the SEC!

Yesterday, I checked and had 80 dollars worth of buying power.
That's the dangerous situation where you might get margin-called. If it drops below 0 they will most likely margin-call you.

Right now, it jumped to 13k for no reason. Maybe because the stock went up, the amount loaned to me also went up.
The way it works is that the stock goes up. The amount you are *permitted to borrow* is a percentage of the value of the stock. The dollar value of the amount you *have* borrowed stays the same so you now *can borrow* more. (But you shouldn't, not when you're that exposed!)

But yes, I'll hold off on buying more, for now.
Very wise. You shouldn't be using this much margin if you don't understand exactly how the margin loans work, so spend some time learning the rules. Learning the details now will save you from tears later. Once you understand how it works inside and out, do what you think is best, but it's very dangerous to do this stuff if you don't understand it.

Energy comprises a smaller portion of overall market with each passing week, so the decrease to overall market capitalization from energy sector collapse will be lower than the increase due to tech sector boom.

Also, 2017/18/19 earnings is replacing 2007/08/09 (lack of) earnings in the denominator for CAPE.

For these two reasons, I do not see CAPE declining anytime soon, unless if oil prices surge, taking up interest rates with them.
My go-to scenario for CAPE dropping sharply is a collapse of the banking sector, a collapse worse than 2008. Financials still dominate all the major indexes. If the financial sector collapse takes down highly leveraged companies in other sectors (such as oil) simultaneously, it could be a big price crash. Not saying it will happen, just a scenario I've been kicking around.

OHOH, I agree that stock picking (TSLA specifically) will play a bigger role in outperformance going forward.

My go-to scenario for CAPE dropping sharply is a collapse of the banking sector, a collapse worse than 2008. Financials still dominate all the major indexes. If the financial sector collapse takes down highly leveraged companies in other sectors (such as oil) simultaneously, it could be a big price crash. Not saying it will happen, just a scenario I've been kicking around.

Why do you expect financial sector to collapse? The sector is undervalued. Economy doing well with no major signs of a recession. Loan books are fine. Mortgages are fine.

Tencent views Tesla as an obvious buy for Baba, Baidu, and Tencent. If Tencent doesn't act quickly, the other two might act and drive up the stock price. It would then be difficult for Tencent to buy shares.

They probably also worried about Baba and Baidu buying the entire Tesla. I would be surprised if Tencent didn't increase shares after the 5% initial investment. Nothing prevents Baba to buy 5%. Tencent has to have more shares to be sure.
Yeow. I'm now visualizing a scenario where Tencent is aiming for 10% while Ailbaba and Baidu both aim for 5%, taking 15% of the float off the market. Meanwhile (and not coincidentally) we have a short-covering rally. Does anyone doubt that Fidelity Contrafund is buying more? (They always do.) The really-floating share count may be dropping.

Why do you expect financial sector to collapse? The sector is undervalued. Economy doing well with no major signs of a recession. Loan books are fine. Mortgages are fine.
The megabanks are a pack of crooks who cheat depositors, borrowers, and securities buyers on a pretty much constant basis. Loan books are garbage. Mortgages are garbage. The profits (which are real) are from fees many of which are fraudulent (or sometimes the profits are direct subsidies from central banks). Depositors could do a bank run at any time, and would be frankly well advised to, just to get their money away from the crooks. Any level of government could decide to crack down. Whole thing is a house of cards.

But if you liked investing in Enron and Worldcom, then yes, the major banks look great. Personally I don't like to invest in crime syndicates, but if I did, I'd pick ones with more stable business models and less of a record of defrauding *investors*.

There are some perfectly respectable smaller financial institutions, but they're not the ones which are dominating the indexes.

Last edited:
My fortune cookie for tonight looks really good for Tesla.
fortune cookie wealth.jpg

The megabanks are a pack of crooks who cheat depositors, borrowers, and securities buyers on a pretty much constant basis. Loan books are garbage. Mortgages are garbage. The profits (which are real) are from fees many of which are fraudulent (or sometimes the profits are direct subsidies from central banks). Depositors could do a bank run at any time, and would be frankly well advised to, just to get their money away from the crooks. Any level of government could decide to crack down. Whole thing is a house of cards.

But if you liked investing in Enron and Worldcom, then yes, the major banks look great. Personally I don't like to invest in crime syndicates, but if I did, I'd pick ones with more stable business models and less of a record of defrauding *investors*.

There are some perfectly respectable smaller financial institutions, but they're not the ones which are dominating the indexes.

Very OT: Did you get out of BRK.A / BRK.A? Debating on lightening up for other stocks (TSLA / AMZN / MU).....

Very OT: Did you get out of BRK.A / BRK.A?
Still in BRK. But I've been incrementally selling it.

I think Warren Buffett is making bad stock investment choices (Wells Fargo, airlines, Phillips 66) -- but I do think BRK is basically honest; they have an unbelievably/ridiculously good insurance business; and an excellent railroad; and a utility (Mid-American) which is really aggressively adopting wind. Given that, I'm loathe to get out completely. These positions are mostly taxable, and mostly old (one share is 22 years old), so the bite from capital gains tax is significant and there's a strong incentive to let them sit.

TSLA probably will do enough better than BRK to more than make up for the capital gains bite, but I'm now at my chosen concentration limit for investing in TSLA. I have a concentration limit because I live off my investments; I need to be able to continue to access cash for living expenses / medical emergencies / unexpected house repairs / etc., and for that it's better to have something to sell which is much less volatile than TSLA. Despite my rubbishing of conventional "buy 500 stocks" diversification, I still do think a small amount of diversification is a good idea (small enough that you still have time to analyze each stock).

Of the assets I am managing (after subtracting cash reserved for taxes which will be owed in April 2018, which is 5% of the portfolio), TSLA's now up to 28%, with BRK down to 21% (used to be over 30%). 26% is in retirement accounts which cannot be invested in individual stocks (and is basically in real estate funds). Cash net of taxes owed next April is 8%, most of which is securing TSLA short puts. The cash reserved for taxes payable in April 2018 is also securing TSLA short puts (so if TSLA really drops I will be VERY heavily invested and will have to sell something else, probably BRK, to pay taxes). 9% is in another short-term single stock bet which I do not wish to disclose.

There's about 6% in three stocks which I liked but which went above the price where I was comfortable buying before I bought very much (but are below the price where I'd definitely sell them) and about 2% in two stocks which I plan to sell but which I think I can get a better price for. I probably would rotate out of these into TSLA if I didn't feel sufficiently concentrated in TSLA already.

That should give some perspective on how concentrated I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.