Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
15m market pressure chart update

tsla-mp-15m_6.13.17.png

377.00 in AH. ATH I think.
Correct, for a few seconds. Jumped to 377.20 moments later. That's our new ATH, for now.

Thin and often flaky after hours trading doesn't count for an official All-Time High. Today it likely involves retail short covering. $386.87 reached Friday morning remains the official ATH. But today's after hours activity provides a nice hint than short covering may continue tomorrow morning resulting in an official ATH. :)

So I was reminded by a conversation I had with a friend when I sent him Barclays Research chart of black swan events for oil, one of which was Elon Musk's gigafactory comes on line (the rest were war and major natural disasters). His response was:

"that would also mean TSLA hitting 350 lol"

Well, that's in the rear-view mirror now ain't it. Now the question becomes, what will be SP when Barclay's black swan event for oil comes true in 2017?

Edit: This conversation was early January 2017.

So I was reminded by a conversation I had with a friend when I sent him Barclays Research chart of black swan events for oil, one of which was Elon Musk's gigafactory comes on line (the rest were war and major natural disasters). His response was:

"that would also mean TSLA hitting 350 lol"

Well, that's in the rear-view mirror now ain't it. Now the question becomes, what will be SP when Barclay's black swan event for oil comes true in 2017?

Edit: This conversation was early January 2017.

For context, today's prices:

SPY 244.55

SPYX 59.35 (no oil S&P 500)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, so 75% valuation of S&P 500 is oil related industries.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
Curt, what do your Elliot wave tea leaves tell you about a local top? I think it used to be 380. Is that a place to be concerned?

I doubt it, Bob. If TSLA powers through to an All-Time Intraday High tomorrow morning, the potential for a true short squeeze would likely grow. If that turns out to be the case, there’s no telling how high TSLA could go before a significant correction.

For context, today's prices:

SPY 244.55

SPYX 59.35 (no oil S&P 500)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, so 75% valuation of S&P 500 is oil related industries.
No, I don't think you can draw that conclusion. The price of the funds is intended to track the movement in the underlying index but the actual $ is determined when the fund is started, and I doubt that they started at the same time or even with the same target in mind.

So, the Friday swoon ended up being a massive bear trap. I'm willing to bet there was significant short turnover on Friday - smart shorts covering and new dumb shorts getting in for the "correction to 300" or whatever.

In 2 days the stock is back to an ATH and all those fresh shorts are underwater again - along with all the longtime shorts who are probably making all sorts of offerings and sacrifices to their traditional automaker shrines at this point. Oops!

Transferred my Roth 401k from last employer into my Roth IRA today. Now I have the wonderful problem of what to do with the funds. Bought 10 shares at 375. I can't help it.

Heyyyyy, me too but I got it on Friday for a little bit of a discount compared to today. I went a little crazy spreading out all my positions but Tesla is my favorite of course.

Reactions: neroden and D-egg-O
Status
Not open for further replies.