Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No firm plans yet.

Leaning towards doing it in phases.
IMO this surge is an example of Jesse Livermore saying that in bull markets bullish effects are amplified and bearish effects are ignored. I don't believe that for most of the last two years a Gigafactory announcement would have moved the SP this much.

I might pull the trigger on a small amount a little early, before the July numbers announcement and the next ER. But if I decide to wait for it to actually start I'll wait for something definitive on the M3 production ramp.

Last edited:
State-owned enterprise being the partner underscores the seriousness of the Chinese government in accelerating the adoption of BEVs in China. Not only is China's GHG emissions a problem for the entire world, the populations of China's biggest cities can't see where they're going! And even the simple act of breathing doesn't have the usual pro-life benefits. They need BEVs so bad, it's in the public interest to get it done now rather than wait for independent for-profit companies to ooze in from outside with their cautious business plans.

TSLA will end the day around $385 IMO, unless some major analyst weighs in today with some bullish sentiment. (in which case... higher)

The real benefit IMHO is that it vastly accelerates Teslas core mission, which is NOT maximize profits for a small amount of people off the back of many others, but to accelerate adoption of EV driving, substituting gas/diesel cars with emission free ones. The windfall in profit is just a welcome sideeffect. Die hard selfish narrow scope thinkers don't get that, they are like 'thats just a trick to get your money, tesla is doing good with all future profits and monopoly position they can exploit and we profit' but they totally miss the point.

By ramping up in China, the electric revolution is less likely to be killable by the petrol cartels like China/Saudi Arabia/USA/Russia.

Maybe that is also why tesla open sourced its patents.

They are excellently positioned to succeed with capitalist goals in mind as well, but to me what even matters more is that they just did a significant move towards derisking their original mission. Which means they are riding the wave to a better future.

Disclaiomer I am long TSLA and lots of solar stock since solar energy is the logical consequence of electric driving. I also drive a Tesla Model X and so if I ever have any doubt about the value proposition of tesla, all I have to do is take a ride and I know.

I still hold my $385 calls, they are up 370%. I just have a feeling that we have some room to run today and tomorrow, so am still not decided when to sell...

Here are the reasons I think that we have some room to run (gut feeling/speculation/not an advice)
  • after consolidation pushed SP from the regression channel it followed from the beginning of March until the beginning of May, we are back into the channel and seem to be destined to stay in it
  • there is still some room under the upper Bollinger Band
  • since the beginning of the run-up that started in early December, the SP more often than not had more than one healthy green day, after each consolidation/sideway move
snap1.png

Last edited:
Here is the reasons I think that we have some room to run (gut feeling/speculation/not an advice)
  • after consolidation pushed SP from the regression channel it followed from the beginning of March until the beginning of May, we are back into the channel and seem to be destined to stay in it
  • there is still some room under the upper Bollinger Band
  • since the beginning of the run-up that started in early December, the SP more often than not had more than one healthy green day, after each consolidation/sideway move
View attachment 232351

I have no knowledge in technicals. But I too speculate that SP will move up at least a few bucks tomorrow.

My observation of the short covering pattern we are seeing is that it is not "self sustaining". In other words, covering doesn't beget covering. But a substantial move up due to some natural catalyst, forces some amount of covering subsequently. It is recursive but with diminishing magnitudes and up to a point.

Thanks, that helps to calculate different scenarious.
However, I still do not understand what happens if the price goes below the strike. E.g. I sold 10 contracts of a 300 strike put and the price is $299.99 today. Does the put execute immediately? Based on my calculations, margin requirement will be not enough to buy 1000 shares of TSLA for $300. What happens then?

As long as there is time value (theta) in a put (even ITM ones) it is unlikely to be exercised early and assigned.

My understanding is your broker recalculates margin requirements daily. Fidelity uses 3 types of margin calls to protect itself::
  • HOUSE CALL: margin equity in the account has fallen below Fidelity’s minimum requirement (which ranges from 30% to 100%). Generally, house calls must be met (money added to the account to bring the margin equity up to the minimum required) within 5 business days, but Fidelity may cover the call at any time.
  • FED CALL: A Fed call is issued against the account if the 50% federal “Reg T” initial requirement for a trade on margin is not met. Generally, Fed calls must be met in five business days, but Fidelity may cover the call at any time.
  • EXCHANGE CALL; margin equity in the account has fallen below the NYSE minimum requirement (currently, 25%). Generally, exchange calls must be met (money added to the account to bring the margin equity up to the minimum required) within 48 hours, but Fidelity may cover the call at any time.
If the SP declines such that you need more margin for a position, you will get a notice from your broker. If you don't take some action to reduce the amount of margin needed, the broker will. Since the margin requirement changes dynamically with SP moves, many times a House Call can be met prior to its due date.

I strongly suggest you paper trade for awhile before wading into the murky waters of writing naked short options or at least use spreads to cap the risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.