Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0964.PNG

I'm sure the shorts understand what they are doing.

Another way to see it is that this potentially means that even after Tesla's success becomes obvious, maybe by the 5th GGF, there will still be another decade of double digits PPS growth. :D
Yet another way to look at it is that Apple's brightest days are behind it in terms of its actual products relative to the competition. It's future is quite possibly not looking nearly as bright as it's past so the forward-looking market is pricing that in. The story-stock is now a big, slow company so it has lost a lot of its luster even though it has gobs of money. Isn't this also what we have seen with traditional auto companies?

Wow, that armature hour really works. You can just watch people on twitter react, both ways. Bulls crying that the stock should be up and Bears cheering and claiming the world is coming to an end. You would think that anyone who follows this stock knows its a great time to Just buy the Dip! Whom ever posted it, I love that video. That goes through my head every time the stock dips.

I think you all got it wrong on the market action. It is just machines trading machines using patterns us humans cannot see. So the action makes no sense. That is until someone big comes in and starts buying to hold the stock for good. Until then it's noise.
I think this is a generally incorrect statement. Trading software very rarely picks a direction, most automated Trading software is just for market making, and market making is just a facilitator, not a driver of market direction.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
There has been some discussion on if leverage makes sense at this point. Here are my thoughts. Not advice, just sharing ideas.

I believe for TSLA to overcome the current trading range (aprox 300 to 380), Tesla has to demonstrate "sustainable" profits and for a strong uptrend in stock price, sustainable "growing" profits.

Looking at purely financials we are about to see a series of terrible quarters.
- We all know Q2 financials are expected to be terrible. Basically worst EPS ever.
- Q3: Musk said in previous calls that at low volumes Model 3 will have negative gross margins. That will be on top of growing operating costs (SG&A and R&D) and potentially growing interest expenses. So Q3 financials will be even worse than Q2. Thus yet another worst EPS ever.
- Q4: We had some analyst notes saying that Management is hoping for a positive gross margins on M3 for Q4. I read that as aiming for break even gross margin. This I believe is with the assumption that the ramp goes as expected (reaching 5K/week run rate in Dec). Tesla almost always misses timelines at least by a bit. So whether there will be break even gross margin or not is up in the air. Even then OpEx and other stuff will keep growing. In all likelihood Q4 will also be terrible. There is a good chance that Q4 will be worse than Q3 in terms of EPS. Potentially recording one more worst ever.

2018 Q1 is probably where we will find ultimate relief in financials. The ER for that would be in early May 2018. Up until then I feel like the stock price will be highly speculative.

Obviously the company has a very promising future. That's why the valuation is where it is. But for TSLA to make substantial gains beyond that, I believe Tesla will have to show proof of execution through financials. In other words, the present valuation is all about promise. But here on out it will be more about execution. Show solid volumes, show healthy margins. Then there will be ever more belief in the next round of projects (Semi, Y, AD, etc.).

Considering all this I am inclined to not carry any leverage at all for the next several quarters. On the other hand, except my 401K, every last dollar is invested in TSLA. So I am not worried about missing any upside. Just talking about leverage, I don't believe the risk is worth the reward.

Last edited:
There has been some discussion on if leverage makes sense at this point. Here are my thoughts. Not advice, just sharing ideas.

I believe for TSLA to overcome the current trading range (aprox 300 to 380), Tesla has to demonstrate "sustainable" profits and for a strong uptrend in stock price, sustainable "growing" profits.

- We all know Q2 financials are expected to be terrible. Basically worst EPS ever.
- Q3: Musk said in previous calls that at low volumes Model 3 will have negative gross margins. That will be on top of growing operating costs (SG&A and R&D) and potentially growing interest expenses. So Q3 financials will be even worse than Q2. Thus yet another worst EPS ever.
- Q4: We had some analyst notes saying that Management is hoping for a positive gross margins on M3 for Q4. I read that as aiming for break even gross margin. This I believe is with the assumption that the ramp goes as expected (reaching 5K/week run rate in Dec). Tesla almost always misses timelines at least by a bit. So whether there will be break even gross margin or not is up in the air. Even then OpEx and other stuff will keep growing. In all likelihood Q4 will also be terrible. There is a good chance that Q4 will be worse than Q3 in terms of EPS.

2018 Q1 is probably where we will find ultimate relief in financials. The ER for that would be in early May 2018. Up until then I feel like the stock price will be highly speculative.

Obviously the company has a very promising future. That's why the valuation is where it is. But for TSLA to make substantial gains beyond that, I believe Tesla will have to show proof of execution through financials. In other words, the present valuation is all about promise. But here on out it will be more about execution. Show solid volumes, show healthy margins. Then there will be ever more belief in the next round of projects (Semi, Y, AD, etc.).

Considering all this I am inclined to not carry any leverage at all for the next several quarters. On the other hand, except my 401K, every last dollar of mine is invested in TSLA. So I am not worried about missing any upside. Just talking about leverage, I don't believe the risk is worth the reward.

I agree. That said, I have ended up slightly leveraged in the form of out-of-the-money puts which I expect to expire. If they execute, I end up slightly leveraged in the form of an actual margin loan, which I will promptly close by selling other (non-TSLA) stock.

- Q4: We had some analyst notes saying that Management is hoping for a positive gross margins on M3 for Q4. I read that as aiming for break even gross margin. This I believe is with the assumption that the ramp goes as expected (reaching 5K/week run rate in Dec). Tesla almost always misses timelines at least by a bit. So whether there will be break even gross margin or not is up in the air. Even then OpEx and other stuff will keep growing. In all likelihood Q4 will also be terrible. There is a good chance that Q4 will be worse than Q3 in terms of EPS. Potentially recording one more worst ever.

Considering all this I am inclined to not carry any leverage at all for the next several quarters. On the other hand, except my 401K, every last dollar is invested in TSLA. So I am not worried about missing any upside. Just talking about leverage, I don't believe the risk is worth the reward.
Great post! In my opinion, this is a very reasonable assessment of the next 9 months. It is likely that in 2 years, accumulation at the current stock price turns out to be a great idea. On the other hand, it is certainly possible that there is a much better price point to add shares and/or leverage in the coming months, particularly the next 4 months. If Tesla succeeds on their FSD planned for December of this year, I believe that will have a huge effect. Of course, that could easily slip by several months.

My approach at this point has been to remain moderately leveraged through M3 reveal and then back off to shares. That has turned out to be a great plan until early July. Bears will definitely be pointing to the Q2 and Q3 financials in support of their argument that Tesla isn't going to make any money, which may well drive the stock price down. Q4 may well be bad too. Of course, public sentiment may be very high on the M3 and that may ultimately affect the market. Hard to say.

Reactions: kenliles
Yet another way to look at it is that Apple's brightest days are behind it in terms of its actual products relative to the competition. It's future is quite possibly not looking nearly as bright as it's past so the forward-looking market is pricing that in. The story-stock is now a big, slow company so it has lost a lot of its luster even though it has gobs of money. Isn't this also what we have seen with traditional auto companies?
I believe that's the Batman syndrome, die the hero or live long enough to become the villan.....

I've been reading some of the posts on the AP2.0 thread. Sounds like it is still not to parity with AP1, now 8+ months after release. It is way behind schedule. There has to be serious doubt about Musk's timeline for FSD in just 5 months. Hopefully, AP2 will be better than AP1 by then, but ready for a FSD coast to coast trip???? I'm not going to bet on that.

Reactions: LoL Rick
I've been reading some of the posts on the AP2.0 thread. Sounds like it is still not to parity with AP1, now 8+ months after release. It is way behind schedule. There has to be serious doubt about Musk's timeline for FSD in just 5 months. Hopefully, AP2 will be better than AP1 by then, but ready for a FSD coast to coast trip???? I'm not going to bet on that.
This might be on a case by case basis. I test drove a AP hardware 2 Model X a month back. Compared to the AP hardware 1 Model X I test drove in November, they felt to be on the same level. This is just my experience test driving cars 6 months apart. It's possible AP1 hardware made progress between November and June.

Status
Not open for further replies.