Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Much as I have confidence in TSLA as a consistent long I'm reluctant to recommend it, as are my friends. In college I fixed up 8 of my fraternity brothers with 8 Wellesley girls my girlfriend knew for a special fraternity party. Sixteen enemies at the end of the evening.

My slow moving reaction to the news Apple was not going to use sapphire from GTAT cost my entire stake. Had I acted more quickly, rather than conservatively, there was a day or so when much loss could have been avoided. There can be danger even in patience. The best armor is confidence in physics first principles.

... there is and has been since prior to Tesla's IPO so much more easily available pertinent information regarding the company's long-term goals, and how management expects to achieve them, than that available for any other company in any industry, in any country, in any decade, that I ever have been in contact with.

So, while you might be able to opine that "Musk screws up new investors that don't know him that well"....as far as I'm concerned there is zero basis for the latter clause, therefore the entire statement is reminiscent of a movie clip shown a few pages back either on this or its twin thread:

Does the Defense's case hold water?
No, the Defense is wrong.
That Marisa Tomei quote is spot on in my view, for several reasons:
1. Actual knowledge sometimes comes from unexpected, even hostile, sources;
2. Misunderstanding technical characteristics in the case of TSLA can devastate investors as surely as did she destroy the prosecution;
3. As the case of the 1962 Pontiac Tempest shows, technical advance for the sake of fashion ("rope drive", rear transaxle) does not long endure, even made in California;
4. Equating superficial specification similarity with sameness is a serious error.
BTW, all that from My Cousin Vinny?:rolleyes::eek:

Seriously, these points seem relevant to me. Elon, JB and others have been quite forthcoming about strategy and planned evolution. They've been less open about tactics and consistently clear about timing and goals. Elon is quite clear about uncertainty, but some want every aspirational goal to be viewed as a firm forecast, thus shortfall from aspiration constitutes a "lie". I am thankful that both Elon and JB do discuss their aspirations; after all their aspirations reflect pretty accurately the directions they are going with investment in new technology, manufacturing infrastructure, sales, service and charging facilities. All those constitute quite specific guidance when we realize that TSLA os growing at >50% per annum. That is of course including the factual reality that they are doing things that have never been done before and changing auto industry expectations in the process.

So, while GM played with the Corvair, Tempest, Toronado/Elrorado and more they never strayed from using their creativity to solve potentially serious problems but avoiding efforts that really would change anything fundamental. One can argue with my point of view, but the Corvair was a big copy of the VW, the Tornado proved giant cars could be FWD, with no real advantage when wrought giant-sized, and the several tempest innovations could ahem been outstanding, but...they weren't.

Long-winded my responses may be, but the difference between actually producing market-changing realities like the Model S, X and 3 portend a future of upheaval. The Semi, Model Y and Roadster will do that too.

As investors we are in for a wild ride for certain, with setbacks and advances all along the way. Ten years from now TSLA will be more nearly mature. Then we'll know.

In the meantime I suggest much of what passes for analysis in this Forum and the other investment Forums depends on forecasting the future of something that is vestigial today. Mark Twain applies, doubly so since even the subject of our investments is unknown to the majority of investors. In that respect we only need to decide about whether our analogous situation is, say, Apple or Osborne. All the rest is short-term trading technical analysis.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am not in doubt.;)

Several members are questioning trades appearing after regular market hours that are well off the closing price yet within the regular session’s range. They are generally trades that were attempted earlier in the day but were reported incorrectly by at least one of the parties. The eventually corrected trade information is then posted after regular market hours.
Curt, Thank you from across the big lake!

It's interesting that these corrected trades after hours are allowed to alter the After hours high/low watermarks. It makes those figures much less useful than they should be.

Reactions: Dagger
That Marisa Tomei quote is spot on in my view, for several reasons:
1. Actual knowledge sometimes comes from unexpected, even hostile, sources;
2. Misunderstanding technical characteristics in the case of TSLA can devastate investors as surely as did she destroy the prosecution;
3. As the case of the 1962 Pontiac Tempest shows, technical advance for the sake of fashion ("rope drive", rear transaxle) does not long endure, even made in California;
4. Equating superficial specification similarity with sameness is a serious error.
BTW, all that from My Cousin Vinny?:rolleyes::eek:

Seriously, these points seem relevant to me. Elon, JB and others have been quite forthcoming about strategy and planned evolution. They've been less open about tactics and consistently clear about timing and goals. Elon is quite clear about uncertainty, but some want every aspirational goal to be viewed as a firm forecast, thus shortfall from aspiration constitutes a "lie". I am thankful that both Elon and JB do discuss their aspirations; after all their aspirations reflect pretty accurately the directions they are going with investment in new technology, manufacturing infrastructure, sales, service and charging facilities. All those constitute quite specific guidance when we realize that TSLA os growing at >50% per annum. That is of course including the factual reality that they are doing things that have never been done before and changing auto industry expectations in the process.

So, while GM played with the Corvair, Tempest, Toronado/Elrorado and more they never strayed from using their creativity to solve potentially serious problems but avoiding efforts that really would change anything fundamental. One can argue with my point of view, but the Corvair was a big copy of the VW, the Tornado proved giant cars could be FWD, with no real advantage when wrought giant-sized, and the several tempest innovations could ahem been outstanding, but...they weren't.

Long-winded my responses may be, but the difference between actually producing market-changing realities like the Model S, X and 3 portend a future of upheaval. The Semi, Model Y and Roadster will do that too.

As investors we are in for a wild ride for certain, with setbacks and advances all along the way. Ten years from now TSLA will be more nearly mature. Then we'll know.

In the meantime I suggest much of what passes for analysis in this Forum and the other investment Forums depends on forecasting the future of something that is vestigial today. Mark Twain applies, doubly so since even the subject of our investments is unknown to the majority of investors. In that respect we only need to decide about whether our analogous situation is, say, Apple or Osborne. All the rest is short-term trading technical analysis.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am not in doubt.;)

Well, you missed one, particularly poignant given that this clip from My Cousin Vinny came to my mind in conjunction with the "Tesla killer" routine du jour :)

...One is a Corvette, which could ** never ** be confused with the Buick Skylark.

INDEED!

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
Where do we go from here?
Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 9.25.04 AM.png

I find it really hard to believe that this close to the historic Model 3 reveal, the stock is going to go down and stay down for very long. I'm trading the dips now with some fun money, expecting reversals. Definitely not selling shares.
Yeah but smeigle and his buds say it is all a scam so don't believe there will be anything beyond cardboard cutouts at the reveal. TBH don't be surprised if the SP drops after the reveal, though it is a Friday so by the next trading day people may have digested it all and see the future more clearly. But the market frequently doesn't make sense. For now let's hope the trend remains upward.

Yeah but smeigle and his buds say it is all a scam so don't believe there will be anything beyond cardboard cutouts at the reveal. TBH don't be surprised if the SP drops after the reveal, though it is a Friday so by the next trading day people may have digested it all and see the future more clearly. But the market frequently doesn't make sense. For now let's hope the trend remains upward.
The Model 3 final reveal is even more interestingly planned due to the Q2 earnings call just two business days after. I think I will play this like I initially started, buying Aug 11 or Aug 4 puts as short term volatility insurance. Puts purchase funded by selling covered calls if I don't have enough dry powder.

Well, according to the bears, at least Tesla's profit margins would be higher with cardboard cutouts rather than actually producing Model 3s.

Status
Not open for further replies.