Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0216.PNG
Bullish engulfing candle on high volume overwhelms last 4 days of bear attack
Shorts really dropped the ball today
I saw it coming yesterday
However I'm on so much freaking margin already that even though I see the writing on the wall
I just can't seem to get the courage to pull the trigger
I mean seriously at this stage of the game numbers mean nothing
This is where real money is made
Going for the jugular
Rest is conversation

The lesson here is to NOT proclaim certainty in an endeavor where uncertainty is the rule.

TSLA is a gamble, and always has been.

And gets to be more and more of a gamble given macro uncertainty. I doubt it's going to be Tesla that causes a major drop in TSLA but something that impacts the whole market.

And gets to be more and more of a gamble given macro uncertainty. I doubt it's going to be Tesla that causes a major drop in TSLA but something that impacts the whole market.
One of the potential outcome of macro is nothing actually happens. Analysts/media tend to have a bias towards calling something imminent and cataclysmic. Nobody makes any money reporting "nothing scary/exciting happening in the next 18 months"

Market disruptive industries are risky, eg netflix went down by 50% when they announced two separate subscriptions one for DVD and one for streaming. Not much risk now...

Tesla story is about energy and the market is warming up to this (pun not intended but can work), we are still at the netflix moment were people just did not understand streaming and clung to DVDs.

Reactions: everman and D-egg-O
How do you interpret this observation? It seems to me that over the last year short volume comprised about half every day? Or am I misreading it?

Looking at this chart a bit more carefully, short percentage of trading looked closer to 60% today, which is the high end of the typical 35-60% involvement of shorts in tsla transactions. When you combine the day's high volume with high percentage of shorts involvements in transactions, it's a particularly high activity level.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 9.13.04 PM.png
One assumption can be that shorts were doing a fair amount of buying (to cover) today.

Market disruptive industries are risky, eg netflix went down by 50% when they announced two separate subscriptions one for DVD and one for streaming. Not much risk now...

Tesla story is about energy and the market is warming up to this (pun not intended but can work), we are still at the netflix moment were people just did not understand streaming and clung to DVDs.

(mods: move this to the general investor thread)

I will extend this analogy, the population still lives on a fossil fuel based energy economy, and does not see the advantages of clean energy-solar, wind, and hence EVs, just like the vast majority of the population could not understand watching a movie without a DVD. Just like the inherent difficulties of streaming a movie a decade or more ago without reliable broadband or built in TV streaming services, similarly clean energy faces early adoption hurdles which will only become cheaper in the upcoming years.

For market purposes, now is the time to act. When tesla shows the automated line spooling, it will be too late. When they start shipping roof tiles to KB/lennar/Toll brothers, it will be too late. If the efficiency of a solar panel or a wind turbine improves, battery storage makes these technologies a viable alternative to fossil fuel based energy sources....

Status
Not open for further replies.