Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of doom and gloom here. I just checked my Model 3 estimated delivery date and it only slipped one month.

I'm waiting for dual motor am an existing owner and live in Colorado. My estimated delivery window changed from June - Aug to Aug - October.

I guess we will find out how the ramp is going as new Model 3s start to show up again on Instagram.

It didn’t sound like the battery pack manufacturing was fully resolved yet and that they didn’t know when it would be. Making progress, but no clear estimate.

I think we will just need to wait a few weeks and see if there is a substantial jump in production or not

Lots of doom and gloom here. I just checked my Model 3 estimated delivery date and it only slipped one month.

I'm waiting for dual motor am an existing owner and live in Colorado. My estimated delivery window changed from June - Aug to Aug - October.

That is a two month slip not a one month slip.

Mine hasn't changed yet, AWD still listed as Jul-Sep.

Reactions: KLC13 and bonaire
Still a ways out until the Big Boys combine long range, good looking design, and some fast charging options.

The Bolt is a great car in super boring skin and no (supercharger level) fast charging. So it is still missing two major components that the Model 3 has.

The redesigned Leaf looks much better than previously, but still nothing close to Model 3, is not comparable on range, and has no (supercharger level) fast charging. This is a company that has been building the highest volume EV's outside of Tesla for nearly as many years as Tesla, but still can't compete, much less pull ahead of Tesla.

Mission E from Porsche is a great looking car with long range and fast charging. Not expected until 2019 and while likely to beat the current Model S on handling, does not compete on interior cargo or people space. Interior looks extremely cramped compared to Model S. Plus, by 2019 Tesla may upgrade the P version of Model S to where it still outperforms the Mission E. That said, I expect Porsche will sell as many Mission E's as they care to build, but it will hardly dent the Model S sales, and will have zero effect on the Model 3 sales and hopefully by then Model Y sales, although Model Y admittedly may not come until 2020 the way things are looking.

BMW does not seem to be serious at this point.
Audi is waking up but we'll see what they actually come out with and at what price points.
Mercedes is getting serious, but not serious enough on volume. They are going to have a hard time competing with Tesla on price unless they are willing to lose money to gain market share.

Tesla's lead in battery production is so extensive at this point, it's almost impossible for the "Big Boys" to catch up unless they start to go all in, which is unlikely.

Oh, and their dealers anti-sell EVs, so they have to overcome that issue as well.

They have a tough road. They are gonna have to get serious, and as of yet, Porsche is the only one looking serious but their market is small. GM, Mercedes, and Audi might be contenders if they get serious, but how serious they are going to get is an unknown at this point. Plus, they will begin stealing much more market share from ICE than from Tesla once they start pumping out compelling EVs. The pie is going to grow rapidly for all these EV competitors to have a piece without eating each other.

"Tesla's lead in battery production is so extensive at this point, it's almost impossible for the "Big Boys" to catch up unless they start to go all in, which is unlikely. "
big boys have big wallet.. they don't have to go all in. unlike tesla, they have to borrow money every single year to make unprofitable car. GM could produce as many cars as they like at will. recently, they temporarily suspend operation on their plant because they had a huge inventory of several thousand of cars.

If Tesla still cannot hold up to the candle through next year, Apple might buy them out. just my two cent..

What's funny is how can you mess up so badly that you only produced 200-300 model 3 in one year period. Model 3 was debuted at 2016..

I guess we will find out how the ramp is going as new Model 3s start to show up again on Instagram.

They are trying not to cross the threshold until Q2. Dual motor full credit. Nice.

My target (CA, online reservation on 3/31, non-owner):

1st Production: was Dec '17 - Feb '18, now Jan - Mar '18, 1 month shift
SR: was Feb - Apr '18, now Early '18, doesn't look like much of a shift
AWD: was Aug - Oct '18, now Sep - Nov '18, 1 month shift

I had to reselect my preference and Save again.

Edit: at least it clarifies which tax year I will get my M3 in, which simplifies several factors in my financial planning.

Last edited:
Al, this strikes me as really gloomy. $400 by the end of 2018? When we already hit $380 twice earlier this year? I find this hard to believe. Why don't you expect more by the end of 2018?
The only constant about TSLA SP is that no matter how accurate price target is, the SP will always take a long detour getting there. $400 by end of 2018 could easily mean it is already at $480 in Sep 2018, then someone leaks some rumors that China GF deal is falling through, some supply problem rumors, corroborated by anecdotal cases of people waiting for their AWD cars, heavy media coverage on tax incentive phase out starting to hit demand in Oct '18, and bam we're back at $400 in Dec. Then you sit through that and find out in Jan '19 that Q4 '18 delivery was actually a beat, China GF is happening, and India GF is also happening out of the blue, and we end up at $550 by Feb '19, but who knows how long it will stay there. However if you look back at 2017, you'll be glad you got in when you did.

Ditto. My owner-linked reservation Long Range quotes me November 2017-January 2018 now, and it used to say October-December 2017 yesterday. Standard Battery went from Dec-Feb to Early 2018. Dual Motor went from May-July to June-August 2018. My non-owner linked reservation stayed the same, at "Late 2018" across the board.

This sounds like all the delays are regarding battery pack, and they're still confident about dual motor.

---

Tesla’s giant new Powerpack project in Australia will use battery cells made by Samsung

PowerPack 2 and PowerWall 2 use 2170 cells, which both Samsung (for Australia) and Gigafactory (Panasonic) produce. Tesla is helping run the GigaFactory Panasonic supply of 2170's by selling PowerWalls (home customers) and PowerPacks (USA, Puerto Rico, etc.). This will help run the new GigaFactory Panasonic cell manufacturing lines, which the Panasonic CEO already recently said is going well for Model 3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the different chemistries between Model 3 and Energy Storage products might use some of the same lines and/or experience in the GigaFactory, meaning that the Energy Storage products will help ramp up the GigaFactory 2170 production in time for Model 3 use.

If so, this leaves the concentration of problems currently in their hot spot of Model 3 battery pack manufacturing, for which they are paying due attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: landis
So far, what's mostly showing up in this thread, and this thread in the Model 3 forum is one month delays for the first available version of the car.

It seems likely that either we will start seeing non-employee deliveries in December, possibly even November, or we will have a pretty strong hint that there are additional delays before we have our next planned explicit update from Tesla in early January.

So far, what's mostly showing up in this thread, and this thread in the Model 3 forum is one month delays for the first available version of the car.

It seems likely that either we will start seeing non-employee deliveries in December, possibly even November, or we will have a pretty strong hint that there are additional delays before we have our next planned explicit update from Tesla in early January.
Reposting from the M3 delay email thread, I have a couple of theories:

My theory on the discrepancy between the 1 month delay in delivery estimate vs Tesla's3 months delay in hitting 5K/wk, is that Tesla is planning to hit towards the end of the 3 month delivery estimate window. By March, they could be running at close to 5K/wk, so 1 month is ~20K cars, and can make up for all the customer deliveries that they missed in the original 3 months window from Oct-Dec. So if you now have a Nov-Jan window, it's likely they you will get it in Jan, then the Dec-Feb people get it in Feb, and the Jan-Mar people (like me) get it in March.

Another theory on the vagueness of SR being in "Early 2018": since the SR vs LR packs differ mainly in how many cells they put into each module (my understanding), and since they have to redo the HW/SW for module production line, chances are Tesla has only worked out what they need to build the modules for LR pack, and hasn't finished working on revamping the line for the SR packs yet. It may require more SW tweaks, additional validation, and even more tooling tweaks to the module production line, so there is more uncertainty in SR.

Pulling my own quote from @ValueAnalyst ’s poll:

Elon signaling that they found some of their ex-suppliers were fraudsters?

From what I heard on the CC, may not have been an intentional reference (8th level of hell: fraudsters), but probably true. Referenced from Piper Jaffrey’s question about claw-backs. Heard the bitterness in Elon’s reply, where Elon/JB, et al, took responsibility.

Model 3 SR changed from Jan to Mar to "Early 2018" for me as well. Man that is sure vague. I will assume it means June 30 or sooner o_O

Looks like there is a bug in the delivery estimator for SR. Australia delivery was early 2019 for all models. Now SR is mid 2018. Pretty much impossible.
9E70A28E-045A-47F3-861D-6742B3CEDBCE.png

Status
Not open for further replies.