Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Toyota still hasn’t figured it out:
Toyota announces major expansion of its electric car plans: 10 new BEVs, all models to have electric motors

This sounds a little better, at least they have a plan for batteries:

Toyota planning 10 purely electric vehicles by 2020s

Toyota announced other goals on green vehicles. By about 2030, it hopes to sell 5.5 million electrified [BEV’s, Hybrids and Fuel Cells] vehicles a year. Toyota sells about 10 million vehicles globally a year.

The company said it will invest 1.5 trillion yen ($13 billion) to realize its 2030 goal, more than half of it on making batteries.

Other automakers, including Nissan Motor Co., Volkswagen AG and Honda Motor Co., offer or are working on electric vehicles. That means competition among battery makers is heating up. It is unclear whether Panasonic will emerge the victor in the race.

Toyota has generally sought to develop key technologies in-house, rather than purchasing them from outsiders. That includes knowhow for computer chips and robotics, which are also expected to be pillars of growth for the auto sector in coming years.

well, that's one way of looking at it Mitch.

"I could tell they [the Model 3 owner and his friend] were anxious to get going but he left me with a parting shot........."Expect to see a lot more of these on the road starting this week" and gave me a big wink! "

Apparently in line with another insider info, which adds credibility.

I have some insider info
This week Teslas production goal is 1000 model 3s. It's a pretty big milestone if achieved.

Last edited:
Watching the bid and ask (since this is the market action thread), I'm noticing that the ask volume seems thin below $346.. whenever there's a volume of trading, the spread keeps opening up. Bidders are trying to get lower prices, though.

Yep, that's consistent with what I'm seeing. has continued throughout the day. Buyers are largely passive today.

(green = bid, red = ask, gap between them = spread)

TSLA_screenshot_20171218_203429_196.png

Watching the bid and ask (since this is the market action thread), I'm noticing that the ask volume seems thin below $346.. whenever there's a volume of trading, the spread keeps opening up. Bidders are trying to get lower prices, though.

Some of the rare times I get a chance to watch the bid/ask (live), it’s amazingly hypnotic.

One does not need to be young with great income to be fully invested in TSLA. I have retired this past summer, my only income is a part-time consulting gig I do about 8-10 hours a week -- just enough to pay the bills for basic living (I have no mortgage or loans and my electricity is provided by the sun, so my living costs are fairly low). All of my retirement savings in my RRSP account are invested 100% TSLA. I can't play with options on the RRSP account, so its only shares. The only thing I can try to do to exploit the volatility is to sell and buy-back some shares, which I try to do from time to time with mixed success (I do keep the majority, aka core investment untouched, though).
Might be a great time to pull some cash out of your RRSP and to buy some
J20 LEAPS.

Effective EOD Short attack, but they can only artificialyl lower the stock price for so long. I made a tiny little purchase today of 1 J18 $350. I'm out of money but I couldn't resist jumping in on this short attack.

Indeed, it appears to have been a classic short attack. Amid no significant fresh news (other than negative rehashings of articles) it appears as though late in the trading session an entity successfully pushed TSLA down though $340 to flush out the stop-loss limits of weak longs, and create a cascade effect similar to toppling dominoes.

Most of those victimized weak longs were likely day traders compelled to close positions by the end of the day. A clever manipulator would know how to take advantage of that.

Last edited:
The expectation is that these shorts will likely either cover AH for more ammo tomorrow, or amplify an early rise tomorrow by covering and then short again. At least for today, they are back to being able to heavily influence the stock action as the market awaits the Model 3 ramp.

Yep, that's consistent with what I'm seeing. has continued throughout the day. Buyers are largely passive today.

(green = bid, red = ask, gap between them = spread)

View attachment 267430

May I ask what site URL / tool are you using to get that detailed info ?
Does it require an account ?
Is it possible to get such data (ask & bid prices + volumes) from previous trading days too ?

Status
Not open for further replies.