Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with real stuff don't announce until they're ready to go to market, because why show your hand early?

"With the help of BMW, they will validate those cells to bring them up to automotive level for the automaker’s next generation of electric vehicles.

Electrek's Take:

BMW is adding itself to a rapidly growing list of automakers betting on solid-state batteries as the next step for electric cars.

The biggest proponents so far have been Hyundai and Toyota. The latter of which confirmed today its plan to bring the technology to production as soon as 2020, which could be the most aggressive timeline at this point."​

This doesn't sound ready to me. BMW (and others) just sat down at the card table and are trying to see if they get lucky, hit a jackpot quickly, and catch up that way. The thing is that Tesla may already be holding all the aces on the table, and not showing them just yet.

More signs that some of the competition does have their head in the sand. I thought in 2012 that Tesla could expect a 3 year head start and in 2015 they still had 3 years til competition would show up. Seems like it is still at least 5 years til Toyota shows up. With Bosch still years from scaling up, Europe is not going to impact Tesla growth. Only China, and Korea on a smaller scale, is getting production ready, everyone else is planning to plan on getting ready. Who would have thought in 2012 that the world would give Tesla a 10 year head start? The primary challenge remains implementing their plans and maintaining their speed to market.

Toyota announces major expansion of its electric car plans: 10 new BEVs, all models to have electric motors

More signs that some of the competition does have their head in the sand. I thought in 2012 that Tesla could expect a 3 year head start and in 2015 they still had 3 years til competition would show up. Seems like it is still at least 5 years til Toyota shows up. With Bosch still years from scaling up, Europe is not going to impact Tesla growth. Only China, and Korea on a smaller scale, is getting production ready, everyone else is planning to plan on getting ready. Who would have thought in 2012 that the world would give Tesla a 10 year head start? The primary challenge remains implementing their plans and maintaining their speed to market.

Toyota announces major expansion of its electric car plans: 10 new BEVs, all models to have electric motors

They are playing to script.

The Fractured Tipping Point Moat

(for a condensed version, see post #33939 here,
2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion)

and I’m quite confident it’s not because they are “stupid” or “about to be Blackberry in a couple of years.”. As I posted last night on the other big thread,

“I for one don't think the global incumbents "thumbs are up their ***es" as you put it. You'll see from my post number #33939 [in the general thread] yesterday, that I explicitly stated I don't think they are being "stupid" and made my case as to why I don't think their response to Tesla/EVs is about them being "stupid" "having their heads in the sand" etc. However, I also explained why I find it very very probable, that the global auto incumbents will vastly undersupply the demand for long range EVs for many many years to come, forcing consumers to buy ICE instead, and leaving Tesla wide open growth amid a long range EV supply shortage into the 2030s. This is what I refer to as the "fractured tipping point moat" for Tesla... the tipping point for demand for long range EVs will be separated by the tipping point for supply by roughly a decade. That is a tremendous moat, a moat that I do not believe we've ever seen before in global markets.”

The long term moat around Tesla’s growth is extraordinary and it has a few other facets beyond this mega moat.

Last edited:
nly China, and Korea on a smaller scale, is getting production ready, everyone else is planning to plan on getting ready.
Confirms my belief that all the real competitors are in China -- we have to keep an eye on those competitors! Though I admit that I missed Korea. Anyway, it's Hyundai or BYD or Geely who might outmuscle Tesla -- Renault and GM are settling into consistent positions playing catch-up with Tesla, and there's no point in even paying attention to the German automakers, let alone Ford or Fiat Chrysler.

Who would have thought in 2012 that the world would give Tesla a 10 year head start? The primary challenge remains implementing their plans and maintaining their speed to market.

Confirms my belief that all the real competitors are in China -- we have to keep an eye on those competitors! Though I admit that I missed Korea. Anyway, it's Hyundai or BYD or Geely who might outmuscle Tesla -- Renault and GM are settling into consistent positions playing catch-up with Tesla, and there's no point in even paying attention to the German automakers, let alone Ford or Fiat Chrysler.
I think BYD will be the largest vehicle mfr in 2030, but am hoping Tesla will be the most profitable. Similar to apple v Samsung today.

10 more for the daily record!

upload_2017-12-18_16-46-19.png

Worth updating:

View attachment 266950
Source: Tesla Registration Stats

Norway 4Q17 is already 12% higher than the previous record set in 3Q17, adding 100 per day, with two more weeks to go. Bananas.

At this rate, and assuming some slowdown between Christmas and New Year's, Norway 4Q17 deliveries may be 3,800, or 60% QoQ growth.

Model X reservations in Norway are off the charts.
10 more for the daily record!

View attachment 267368

Just hit record. At this accelerated rate 4Q17 Norway deliveries will exceed my 3,800 estimate. Model X has gone vertical.

Model X reservations in Norway are off the charts.
Just hit record. At this accelerated rate 4Q17 Norway deliveries will exceed my 3,800 estimate. Model X has gone vertical.

I think you can't assume this rate for the rest of December... We'll see 2000, and maybe touch 3000, but there are only 2 weeks left, with Christmas, and there's almost no chance to make >2000 in less than 2 weeks.
Past record was ~900 in one week in September.
This will be likely the best week ever, but next week it will probably slow down.
(I'm happy to be wrong, just trying to be realist).

I think you can't assume this rate for the rest of December... We'll see 2000, and maybe touch 3000, but there are only 2 weeks left, with Christmas, and there's almost no chance to make >2000 in less than 2 weeks.
Past record was ~900 in one week in September.
This will be likely the best week ever, but next week it will probably slow down.
(I'm happy to be wrong, just trying to be realist).

My 3,800 estimate is for 4Q, not only December.

My original post, which incorporates the slowdown you noted: 2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

Status
Not open for further replies.