Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S & free super charging transfer & MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

New to Tesla and ive settled on/I'm about to purchase a secondhand 2017 which has free super charging. Couple of things I would like some help with though/I'm not sure about.

1. The current owner is not logged into the car and has not registered the VIN under his name in the app. If I were to do this, is it possible that I could loose the free super charging? Also, is there any other way to check that the free supercharging is SCO1 other than going through the app?
  2. The car currently has MCU1, it seems real slow... If I was to upgrade this, could I loose the free supercharging? Also, does anyone know if there is a cheaper way to upgrade? (Either by yourself, or services in the UK that offer an alternative to Tesla?)

Thanks all,
Paul

Hey all,

New to Tesla and ive settled on/I'm about to purchase a secondhand 2017 which has free super charging. Couple of things I would like some help with though/I'm not sure about.

1. The current owner is not logged into the car and has not registered the VIN under his name in the app. If I were to do this, is it possible that I could loose the free super charging? Also, is there any other way to check that the free supercharging is SCO1 other than going through the app?
  2. The car currently has MCU1, it seems real slow... If I was to upgrade this, could I loose the free supercharging? Also, does anyone know if there is a cheaper way to upgrade? (Either by yourself, or services in the UK that offer an alternative to Tesla?)

Thanks all,
Paul
I have a Jan 2017 MS.

I can’t speak to number 1 for certain but if the car was originally delivered before April 2017, it should have SC01 unless maybe it’s been transferred from a dealer in the past. Safest thing would be to contact Tesla with the VIN since the previous owner isn’t logged into the app.

For number 2, upgrading the MCU doesn’t cause one to lose free supercharging nor free premium connectivity. I had my MCU upgraded by Tesla. They had to do quite a bit of work to register it and sync it up with the rest of the car to my knowledge. I don’t think it was just a simple hardware swap.

The MCU upgrade also changes out your front display as they now both run from the MCU2 instead of independently like with MCU1. This difference can be seen when doing the two scroll wheel reset.

The MCU upgrade is definitely worth it, IMO. Especially since you’d have HW 2.0 cameras that would allow for things like sentry.

Thanks for this, super helpful. I have the cars VIN, I'm wondering if I can ring Tesla and find out?

Also, he's suggesting it still has a full warranty on the battery and drivechain until Jan25, wondering how I can verify that too?

Thanks for this, super helpful. I have the cars VIN, I'm wondering if I can ring Tesla and find out?

Also, he's suggesting it still has a full warranty on the battery and drivechain until Jan25, wondering how I can verify that too?

You can try calling Tesla.

My car has the warranty too. It’s an 8 year unlimited mile warranty on battery/drivetrain. Newer model S warranty is just 150k miles now I believe. Probably because taxis were taking advantage of this.

The current owner is not logged into the car and has not registered the VIN under his name in the app. If I were to do this, is it possible that I could loose the free super charging?
Yes.

The car currently has MCU1, it seems real slow... If I was to upgrade this, could I loose the free supercharging? Also, does anyone know if there is a cheaper way to upgrade? (Either by yourself, or services in the UK that offer an alternative to Tesla?)
Just as an FYI you can't get Tesla to upgrade the MCU without setting up an account and getting the car in it, which could trigger the removal of Supercharging. (If what it has isn't transferrable.)

it takes 5 min to get the car added to the app IF the current owner has the title/registration in their name
have them add it n verify or walk away...
def sounds like a red flag that the car is not in the app
would love to hear a good reason why that is?..