Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model X HW3 and MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone on the fence about this...do it! I traded in my Model 3 for a 2017 Model X and the step down to MCU1 was painful. I only lasted about 4 days before making the service appointment :)

Aside from the obvious well known performance and feature improvements, there are a lot of secondary improvements too:
  • Weird MCU sleep issues and delays starting up the car are totally gone. Plethora of settings to control MCU sleep behavior are gone.
  • Bluetooth and wifi connect way faster.
  • Autopilot nag to autopilot jail period is longer...harder to end up in autopilot jail.
  • Nav audio overlay is significantly improved. MCU1 would do a jarring left/right balance change and wasn't smooth at all. MCU2 Nav audio is seamless and pleasant just like it was in the Model 3
  • Both the instrument cluster and MCU screen appear to be sharper (higher resolution) and have greater brightness range (0% is dimmer and 100% is brighter). This *could* be a placebo effect...wish I took a few close-up pictures before to be sure.
  • No more screen border yellowing (yes...could be fixed without MCU upgrade, but nice to hit 2 birds with one stone)

I finally got my MCU2 upgrade installed yesterday and was extremely happy after paying $2700...Then I woke up this morning and saw that they price was reduced by 40% and now costs $1500.

Have had my HW3 and Infotainment upgrade for 2 months now. With the latest updates the lane change is smooth, navigation is almost instant, and the visualizations are impressive. Best $4500 spent ($2k for HW3 and $2.5k for infotainment). Mine is a early 2017 with every upgrade (premium audio, sub zero, 72amp charging, etc.). It is like a new car.

We have a Dec 2017 build MX 100D and did the same $4500 upgrades. It truly is like a new car but with these added benefits: Free premium connectivity, free unlimited supercharging, and FSD (when released).

We could afford to upgrade to the new refresh 2021 MX but I don’t see any incentive to do so.

We have a Dec 2017 build MX 100D and did the same $4500 upgrades. It truly is like a new car but with these added benefits: Free premium connectivity, free unlimited supercharging, and FSD (when released).

We could afford to upgrade to the new refresh 2021 MX but I don’t see any incentive to do so.

For $2k what are they doing for HW3? Do they swap the cameras? I've got a '17 MX P100D. I upgraded the MCU in Nov, and with that they upgraded the AP computer to AP3. The cameras were not upgraded. The FSD computer was free, despite not having FSD and only EAP. Total cost was $2.5 + tax. So curious what they are upgrading for 2k?

For $2k what are they doing for HW3? Do they swap the cameras? I've got a '17 MX P100D. I upgraded the MCU in Nov, and with that they upgraded the AP computer to AP3. The cameras were not upgraded. The FSD computer was free, despite not having FSD and only EAP. Total cost was $2.5 + tax. So curious what they are upgrading for 2k?

Hardware 2.0 cameras were installed between Oct 1 2016 and Aug 1 2017. I assume thats when your car was built. Our hardware 2.5 MX was built in Dec 2017. Tesla wont upgrade your cameras but you can do it yourself. Here: Camera Upgrade – TeslaTap

I'm still lost as why some of you are paying $4500 for the mcu2, what is the extra $2000 for?

Same. I have a 12/2016 model x with EAP and for $2500 I got mcu2 and hw3/fsd computer. I thought this was confirmed by others on the forums, as without hw3 I was not willing to upgrade mcu1 (mine was dying with all the typical symptoms) to mcu2 for $2500. Actually I came to this forum to see if anyone can get $1000 back on the mcu with the recent price drop; surprised to hear others being charged even more!

Same. I have a 12/2016 model x with EAP and for $2500 I got mcu2 and hw3/fsd computer. I thought this was confirmed by others on the forums, as without hw3 I was not willing to upgrade mcu1 (mine was dying with all the typical symptoms) to mcu2 for $2500. Actually I came to this forum to see if anyone can get $1000 back on the mcu with the recent price drop; surprised to hear others being charged even more!

They did not get charged more, they paid $2000 more because they had EAP and upgraded to FSD for $2000 when it was offered, and got the hw3 in the process. Tesla will only upgrade to hw3 for free if you have FSD purchased.

It has been confirmed on multiple Tesla forums, and by Tesla HQ. If you have EAP and did not buy the FSD you do not get HW3 if you upgrade the Infotainment system. Those who think they did will be sadly disappointed later.

It has been confirmed on multiple Tesla forums, and by Tesla HQ. If you have EAP and did not buy the FSD you do not get HW3 if you upgrade the Infotainment system. Those who think they did will be sadly disappointed later.

At least on Nov 28, 2020 your statement is invalid. I received FSD computer with MCU2 update. I had EAP (not FSD) and I paid $2500.

I'm saying if you had EAP, like I had, and didn't pay for FSD, like people have, then HW3 was not installed for free. Infotainment upgrade works just the same with AP2 as it does with HW3. HW3 will be needed to utilize the new neuro-based FSD capability. AP2 & AP2.5 will not handle it but you will keep EAP.

Why do you think Elon was selling FSD for 2k, 5k, even 10k? He won't give it away because you paid $2500 for Infotainment upgrade. Other forums have confirmed by pulling the dash and checking the AP hardware labels. It is the only way to be sure and I am sure.

I'm saying if you had EAP, like I had, and didn't pay for FSD, like people have, then HW3 was not installed for free. Infotainment upgrade works just the same with AP2 as it does with HW3. HW3 will be needed to utilize the new neuro-based FSD capability. AP2 & AP2.5 will not handle it but you will keep EAP.

Why do you think Elon was selling FSD for 2k, 5k, even 10k? He won't give it away because you paid $2500 for Infotainment upgrade. Other forums have confirmed by pulling the dash and checking the AP hardware labels. It is the only way to be sure and I am sure.

I believe it is "luck of the draw". Most are not getting HW3 along with MCU2 purchase, but some are. Likely depends on what is in stock as far as bundled wiring harness, etc.

It would be a fluke. The service center split my Infotainment and HW3 appointments because they did not have the parts. I doubt they will just "Throw in HW3" because they have a wiring harness. They won't giveaway $10k for free. Even if they did they would not software enable it. Tesla knows how to make money.