TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2017 Texas Legislative Session Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ggies07, May 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

Exactly. It's almost better to stay under the radar on that sort of thing. We're in a "be careful what you wish for" scenario, since we're bound to get tagged with some manner of "EV Road Use" tax. I'd rather pay tolls, most likely.

• Like x 1
  2. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler We Are Cognitive Dissidents

I have heard "the batteries are basically radioactive," and "they are quiet therefore dangerous," but I have never personally heard this "argument against EVs." Against their existence?

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Against their not have very high supplementary tax rates. Don't forget that the elected officials and the industries that purchased them would like nothing better than to put so many poison pills in the path of EVs that they will cease to exist.

4. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

That is fantastic news! I am really thankful.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

That isn't news, it happened last year, and the Republicans who supported it aren't the legislators who receive campaign contributions from dealers in their districts and TADA. I can't believe the lite guv Dan Patrick would ever let such a bill reach the Senate floor.

6. kash

kash Member

Any other updates?

7. TexasEV

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

Thanks for the update.

9. kash

kash Member

hopefully we can drum something up!

10. geoffreak

geoffreak Driving My Model 3

I reached out to my representative (Linda Koop) back in February and got the following response. I was pleasantly surprised their office actually read my original email. Most politicians never respond or use a generic template that often contradicts your request.

Today I followed up with the following:
    We need to be encouraging those we know to reach out. Given how little our representatives hear from the public about issues like this, any support we can provide is vital.

• Love x 1
  11. TexasEV

@geoffreak, that's great. Tesla has a sample letter at teslaintexas.org for anyone to send to their Texas state senator and representative automatically just by entering their home address. It's a generic letter supporting the idea of direct sales, I assume it will be updated soon to reference the specific bills that were just introduced. Once the bills have been assigned to committees, those committee members will need to be targeted.

Also don't forget to send a thank you to Rep. Isaac and Sen. Hall for introducing the direct sales bills. I don't want to post email addresses but all of the legislators emails are available here:
    Elected Officials Directory | The Texas Tribune

• Helpful x 3
  12. kash

kash Member

can we also add Senate Bill 1588
    Senate Bill 1588 would repeal the requirement that your car get an inspection each year.

I just emailed all the reps that teslaintexas.org told me too, i just wrote an email with the 3 bill numbers and a bit of explanation of why they would benefit me

13. geoffreak

geoffreak Driving My Model 3

A few minutes on the justrolledintotheshop subreddit might convince you otherwise. I know it might be a mild inconvenience to you, but we're all much safer for it. It's terrifying what is allowed on the roads in non-inspection states.

14. kash

kash Member

15. TexasTeslaRacing

Just spoke with Senator Estes about the new Senate Bill # 2093 and he is in favor. He mentioned he introduced a similar bill years ago that was ultimately rejected. We have an uphill battle according to Estes because the dealerships are powerful in Texas and don't want to change.

16. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Here's what I wrote to Sen. Huffines:

• Like x 2
  17. TexasEV

Nothing in the direct sales bill SB 2093 requires the dealerships to change anything. What he means is the dealerships don't want the system to change to allow competition with them.

• Informative x 1
  18. TexasEV

For those who don't know, that's Huffines as in Huffines Auto Dealerships, which had $626 million in revenue in 2015. And that's not even one of the largest members of the Texas auto dealer cartel.

• Like x 1
  19. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

That doesn't mean it's a good idea. For something that only costs $7 and a bit of time once per year, I'm happy to keep it going.

You wanna same me money and time, Senator Huffines? Sign off on direct sales.

20. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Are oil lobbyists also opposing bills to allow Tesla sales/service? I would guess that they are.