Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Texas Legislative Session Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, no. One of the arguments against EVs is that they don't pay road taxes. The counter argument is that they pay tolls just like everyone else. Also they don't spill oil that costs money to clean up.

Exactly. It's almost better to stay under the radar on that sort of thing. We're in a "be careful what you wish for" scenario, since we're bound to get tagged with some manner of "EV Road Use" tax. I'd rather pay tolls, most likely.

Reactions: TexasEV
I have heard "the batteries are basically radioactive," and "they are quiet therefore dangerous," but I have never personally heard this "argument against EVs." Against their existence?
Against their not have very high supplementary tax rates. Don't forget that the elected officials and the industries that purchased them would like nothing better than to put so many poison pills in the path of EVs that they will cease to exist.

I reached out to my representative (Linda Koop) back in February and got the following response. I was pleasantly surprised their office actually read my original email. Most politicians never respond or use a generic template that often contradicts your request.

Thank you for your recent correspondence to our office. Representative Koop appreciates you taking the time to share with us your opinion on Tesla's efforts in Texas to allow for Direct Sales of automobiles to consumers. She depends on constituents such as yourself to stay informed on matters within the district.

Your thoughts on the Texas Automobile Dealer's Association and the systems of the state are very important to us. Currently, there has been no legislation proposed in regards to this issue. If a bill is proposed, Representative Koop will monitor it throughout session.

I will pass your views along to Representative Koop and she will keep them in mind throughout the legislative process. Please do not hesitate to contact our office if we could be of further assistance to you.

Today I followed up with the following:
Thank you for taking time to consider my feedback last month. A bill has finally been introduced into the Texas house in support of the free market. I would like to voice my support for House Bill 4236 which will not only allow Tesla, but any automobile manufacturer to sell directly to consumers. Given how wildly unpopular automotive dealers are, this bill should easily have a lot of support. I will be requesting those I know to reach out about their support too.

Please don’t fall for the Texas ADA’s untruths about dealers being the free market. Government disallowing any reasonably party from selling cars is the opposite of the free market. If the dealers truly offer the best service to consumers as they claim, they should have nothing to fear in the true free market.

We need to be encouraging those we know to reach out. Given how little our representatives hear from the public about issues like this, any support we can provide is vital.

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
@geoffreak, that's great. Tesla has a sample letter at teslaintexas.org for anyone to send to their Texas state senator and representative automatically just by entering their home address. It's a generic letter supporting the idea of direct sales, I assume it will be updated soon to reference the specific bills that were just introduced. Once the bills have been assigned to committees, those committee members will need to be targeted.

Also don't forget to send a thank you to Rep. Isaac and Sen. Hall for introducing the direct sales bills. I don't want to post email addresses but all of the legislators emails are available here:
Elected Officials Directory | The Texas Tribune

can we also add Senate Bill 1588
Senate Bill 1588 would repeal the requirement that your car get an inspection each year.

I just emailed all the reps that teslaintexas.org told me too, i just wrote an email with the 3 bill numbers and a bit of explanation of why they would benefit me

Just spoke with Senator Estes about the new Senate Bill # 2093 and he is in favor. He mentioned he introduced a similar bill years ago that was ultimately rejected. We have an uphill battle according to Estes because the dealerships are powerful in Texas and don't want to change.

Here's what I wrote to Sen. Huffines:

Dear Sen. Huffines:

I am writing to you in support of SB 2093, which would allow direct sales of cars to Texas consumers.

Our state's strong belief in a minimally regulated market should make this bill a no-brainer. The only explanation for not having adopted such a model already is the disproportionate influence of Auto Dealers' interest groups. Even if these groups' claim that the current model protects consumers is true, those who wish to purchase from dealers may still do so if SB 2093 passes. And the rest of us will enjoy a truly free-market option. Therefore, I urge you to support this bill.

I understand that you may have have a unique insight on this bill, and I urge you to support it as proof of your support for the free market. The traditional dealer network has nothing to fear if they are confident in their ability to serve consumers.

Finally, in the event that you understandably feel you cannot approach this issue from an unbiased perspective, I would ask that you recuse yourself from voting.

Just spoke with Senator Estes about the new Senate Bill # 2093 and he is in favor. He mentioned he introduced a similar bill years ago that was ultimately rejected. We have an uphill battle according to Estes because the dealerships are powerful in Texas and don't want to change.
Nothing in the direct sales bill SB 2093 requires the dealerships to change anything. What he means is the dealerships don't want the system to change to allow competition with them.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler