Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 VIN Model X Order and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my Model X 75D! Delivery was fast and guy was professional. Got two keys, AC worked fine. Impressed overall!

I got the cream interior, so I will post some pics really soon. Just note that dashboard trim has no alcantara and is all synthetic leather. The seats feel really good. Drive is impressive.

Overall very satisfied!

Could you pls take some pics of the dashboard trim? I'm due to take delivery next month and expecting an Alcantara top dash, it's one of my favourite internal trim features - hope they haven't removed it!

Thanks

Could you pls take some pics of the dashboard trim? I'm due to take delivery next month and expecting an Alcantara top dash, it's one of my favourite internal trim features - hope they haven't removed it!

Thanks
They have, it's all black leatherette, whatever you want to call it. I'll link to a thread with some pics where I posted some pics of my new X...

New Cream Interior

Ordered 9/23
Confirmed 9/27

Still no VIN shown. Predicting December-Early January. Model X 75D with premium interior package and EAP.

Is it normal to wait this long for a VIN?
After placing my deposit, I waited over 4 years before I got my VIN (and eventually vehicle). So, no, it's not normal. :p

It can take as little as 2-4 weeks between receiving VIN and delivering vehicle, so there is plenty of time to make your Dec/Jan delivery date. The actual production is typically less than 1 week.

However, there are lots of ways things can get delayed (parts shortage, uncommon options chosen, delivery delays, etc.) so be patient. Tesla doesn't provide a lot of minor updates to the delivery process. Most people get a call out of the blue indicating that their car is ready for pick-up.

Let's hope my wait is a bit shorter than yours ;)

I am actually hoping to delay the car until January (just to say its a "2018" Model X), so I was just curious if there may be something interesting happening on the production side since there seems to be a bit of delay in handing out VINs.

I played order and confirmed 9/18/17, got VIN about a week ago, but local guy confirmed for me going into production next week ~10/17-18 time frame and will finish production around 11/20/17.
Ballpark 4 weeks for delivery to east coast so 12/20 ish.

X 75D
Premium interior with cream seats
6 seater no console

Ordered 9/23
Confirmed 9/27

Still no VIN shown. Predicting December-Early January. Model X 75D with premium interior package and EAP.

Is it normal to wait this long for a VIN?

Sure did! Posted on the 24th and 26th with a pic. :) Just got her back from being wrapped this week and need to find time to post some pics of that. Excellent job by Exotic locally. Saw your other thread, yours looks great!
I’m in Shanghai last week and this week. See a X75D roll by the hotel every morning waiting for my ride. Tesla showroom nearby but I’m working 16 he days so haven’t been inside. Lots of supercharger stations in the city.

Reactions: boaterva
Ordered a MX75D on Friday, super excited but not rushed as we'll drive our ML through the snow one last time. We would love a 2018 VIN, I've emailed our OA to see if we could push back delivery to ensure a 2018 VIN (not sure if this is possible)

Have until today to cancel, if we were to cancel we would reorder in 2 weeks to take advantage of the $1400 off (Canada) with referral.

Anyone else in the same boat? With an estimated delivery in December on January 1st to most people the car is already a year old. I know the traditional model year changes don't apply to Tesla but in terms of resale I feel like a 2018 would be more valuable.

Tesla doesn't work with yearly VIN numbers, they update the cars whenever they feel like it, so an early '2018 car' probably shouldn't be refreshed comapred to a late 2017 one. Unless they do upgrades or they change something unannounced. Tesla buyers look for the features, they don't really look at model years.
You should be fine with your order, enjoy it!

Tesla doesn't work with yearly VIN numbers, they update the cars whenever they feel like it, so an early '2018 car' probably shouldn't be refreshed comapred to a late 2017 one. Unless they do upgrades or they change something unannounced. Tesla buyers look for the features, they don't really look at model years.
You should be fine with your order, enjoy it!

Vin #s will show 2017 with an H in position 10 and J for 2018.
examples
5YJSA1E13HF209999
5YJSA1E13JF238999

VIN Decoding - Automotive News And Advice

But the value of a "later year" Vin # is negligible. Parts are not changed on the model year but "whenever", as you stated.

Finally, after what has been forever. I took delivery of my replacement X on saturday. Ended up with a black one instead of the Midnight silver i had initially ordered. All other options remained the same. Glad that chapter is over. Time to get to know the car and put some miles on it.

Reactions: boaterva
I played order and confirmed 9/18/17, got VIN about a week ago, but local guy confirmed for me going into production next week ~10/17-18 time frame and will finish production around 11/20/17.
Ballpark 4 weeks for delivery to east coast so 12/20 ish.

X 75D
Premium interior with cream seats
6 seater no console

Great to know thanks! That provides a rough point of reference for me. I Ordered on 9/28 and confirmed on 10/1. Still have not received notification of VIN as yet.

I really thought I was going to be able to forget about the car after placing my order until I received notification it was ready but that has been far from the case. Can't wait to get it!

I ordered my 100D on 10/3 and it was confirmed 10/6. No VIN yet. Says late December early Jan delivery. Slightly annoyed because I want the tax break this year and prior to order it said first week of December delivery and after order it said late December - Jan delivery. Out of my control now so it is what it is. I would like to at least get the VIN to see some progress but nothing yet.

Reactions: mattack4000