Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.12 has ruined the audio system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They won't. They broke USB music playback in September of 2016 and have been refusing to fix it for over a year. And the fixes there are *trivial* -- it's stuff like playing the files in a folder in the correct order.

I haven't looked in the manual but did the manual ever say that there would be gapless playback or that playing files in a folder would be ordered by file name and not by ID3 tags? If not, then they can't be considered bugs they are just features that you want, or want changed.

Reactions: ABC2D
Do you suppose Tesla shifted DSP capacity away from audio and is using that processing power for other things, like speedier browser / UI experience?

Reminds me of early Thinkpad's that had a funky new DSP chip for doing many things, like modem, audio, etc.. and they would often impact each other because they were sharing the same chip. Although it was fast, it was a limited resource. People struggling to get their 56Kbaud... so sad.

"There were various consumer complaints with users reporting problems involving either the sound or modem features separately, or using both at the same time.[1] Some consumers were offered a check for the purchase of hardware to replace the Mwave card,[2] while others were offered a replacement modem, sound card or both.[3] At one point, a class action lawsuit was filed;[4] it was finally settled in 2001."

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
My sound system still doesn't seem to be performing the same as pre- .12. Almost sounds like the wifee's Highlander now and have not noticed any improvement with the 2018.18 update. I'm wondering if the previous bass settings was inducing some vibration on the cameras which could cause a failure with the new AP updates? I just can't piece together from all the post why Tesla would have messed with the sound system settings. Will submit the Exec escalation today as well. Called the SC and the person claimed they haven't heard of this problem from other customers....

Our experience has been different from Tech_Guy's. Reading this thread initially (and still being several updates behind) I had been thinking "how bad could it be" -- and then I found out!

However, when we got 2018.18 downloaded it seemed to us that some of the damage has been repaired. The sound is still not as "full" as it was several updates ago, and there still seem to be frequency peaks and valleys that the equalizer can't smooth out, but it seems better. Maybe a couple more fixes and we'll be back to what we bought initially.

Last edited:
Based on other issues I've had with the car, I'm confident that Tesla will get this corrected. However, my main concern now is the lack of acknowledgement from Tesla regarding the issue and communication to those who selected the Extra-Cost option for the Premium Sound package (I'm assuming this problem is limited to the PSP system, but could be wrong). If this is not being acknowledged and communicated as an issue, my guess is it also won't make the top 5 priority list for resolution either. As many have suggested above, please submit an Exec escalation so that team is aware of the escape and can help prioritize resources.

Here's the reply from the Tesla Mgr managing Exec escalations: "Thank you for reaching out to us here at Tesla. We appreciate you contacting us regarding this and our engineers have been investigating this issue. I don't have the exact ETA at this time, but this should be addressed in an upcoming firmware update. Apologies for any inconvenience, but please feel free to let me know if you have any questions in the meantime". I'm very pleased to know they have been looking into the issue and will remain confident the issue will be resolved. Will let you all know if I hear back from them on timing.

". I'm very pleased to know they have been looking into the issue and will remain confident the issue will be resolved. Will let you all know if I hear back from them on timing.

I'd be pleased, too, if the response you got didn't sound and look so much like boilerplate. Note that their reply NOwhere indicates that they even read your complaint or are even talking about an audio issue. I think it might be a generic response from a script kiddie or an answer bot.

I’ve sent three messages to Tesla and spoke to SC regarding sound issues. Every responses have been similar that it was news to them. The responses were also very delayed. I’m not too optimistic that it will be fixed anytime soon (although hopeful) if Tesla is either not aware or not acknowledging the problem. I have likened the problem to paying for a 100 and having it downgrade to a 75. The product that I purchased was taken away. I did not pay for the speakers. I paid for the “premium sound” which I heard, bought, loved, and now missed! Getting more frustrated everyday. Hoping someone will actually received a believable reesponse that Tesla is actually finding a fix.

2018.12 has ruined my audio system. It's not that they lowered the maximum eq settings from 12 to 8 but they've also lowered the volume and they are clipping bass even when the eq settings are flat.

Bass Drums from various Telarc performances that are famous for their bass drums tuned down to 30-40 Hz that flutters against your ears with good headphones has been completely destroyed. Even with the EQ flat, it's clipped and can barely be heard.

I can only guess this change was made to prevent amplifier burnout or speaker surround destruction and lower the cost of warranty claims.

I've sent messages (2) to support, only for them to apologize for my concern, and sent it on to my local SC in Santa Monica, CA.
I haven't heard anything back in a month !! I suspect it's definitely an unresolved issue and they hope I'll go away...

Here's guts of reply I got: "After researching this concern I have found that this is something that the engineering has been made aware of and may be corrected in the future firmware release."

I believe that each customer service rep will cook their own response to this. Some have already heard of it, or do diligent research with engineering. These reps reply with a "known problem" message. Others probably get lazy and send a boilerplate "sorry, we will forward to your SC".

Those of you who are concerned... rest assured, enough of us have gotten "known problem" response that it is clear that engineering DOES know about this. The big question is when will they fix, and how thoroughly will they fix. Problem with things like this is that - just like zillions of perspectives on regenerative braking - once it is in your head that the sound is weird, it becomes very hard to baseline and determine that it indeed has been fixed. So, I suspect even if Tesla fully restored it to prior code, some of us would still be hearing ghosts. This is the dark side of regular software updates!

Reactions: MP3Mike
Just got the 2018.18.2 update, and the EQ settings are now back to a max of +/-12. I personally find the sound quality now to be much better than prior versions that had limited these settings to +/-8. I have Premium Audio and my EQ settings are mostly flat so it's not like I need to crank frequencies to 12, but even with flat EQ settings it sounds much better now.

I need to do some more listening to see if it's back to the way it was before they messed with the audio system in 2018.12, but overall happy with the quality now.

I'd be pleased, too, if the response you got didn't sound and look so much like boilerplate. Note that their reply NOwhere indicates that they even read your complaint or are even talking about an audio issue. I think it might be a generic response from a script kiddie or an answer bot.

A boilerplate response is fine with me as long as the issue is being acknowledged and prioritized for resolution. I'm thrilled that we still have the ability to voice concerns to the 'answer bot', as it seems to be helping from the many who have submitted feedback in this case.

Here's an update from my 'answer bot', Mark...
"I'm happy to report that this should be resolved for you with the latest firmware update 2018.18.2 so you can back to the immersive sound you were enjoying. I've requested one of our technicians send the update to you over the air so keep an eye out for the alarm clock icon on your touchscreen. To download the update quicker please connect your vehicle to a strong WiFi network."
Awesome work Tesla team!

Reactions: Lex
It should sound good with the eq at 0. I got 14 last night and it’s still bad I’m waiting for them to push .16 now
I don’t understand what your disagreeing with on my post @caltrader .... The audio should sound good without any EQ adjustments. But with the effected software versions no amount of eq adjustment would make the sound better...

Luckily it seems that 2018.18.2 made a huge improvement to the audio quality. I’ve only had it for a few hours so I’m cautious to say it’s 100% fixed until I’ve had a few days to listen to it with more songs... it’s definitely a large step in the right direction though!!:D

Stayed on ver 6.1, knowing the problems with the audio in the upgrade.
Upgraded to 18.2 yesterday

Did a test listening to a particular song before the upgrade, and waited as the car got upgraded. Got the same balance as before the upgrade.
When testing and comparing my car on 6.1 with my friends car on 12.2 some weeks ago, we experienced the following: The two identical Model S (2013 P85+) with the same music from a memory stick on same volume and same settings gave lower volume to the car on 12.2, the base was moved to the side speaker in stead of going through the subwoofer (as it is supposed to)
I did not experience anything like that on my newly upgraded car, so I would say, audio is back in 18.2 at least :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Veggen and OVB1
I wish there was a way to regress on software versions to test this. The sub is definitely back and the EQ settings returned to pre-.12 ranges, but something still does not seem right. Before all this i never touched the EQ settings and regardless of what I was playing, the system seemed to adjust (ZERO distortion at almost full volume). Now I'm monkeying with the EQ settings with every song and I still can't get it to sound like it used to. It sounds like the quality of the music track from Slacker is not the same. Volume varies song to song much more than before. Maybe its in my head at this point..... Does anyone know what the stock EQ settings are or how I can reset this?

I wish there was a way to regress on software versions to test this. The sub is definitely back and the EQ settings returned to pre-.12 ranges, but something still does not seem right. Before all this i never touched the EQ settings and regardless of what I was playing, the system seemed to adjust (ZERO distortion at almost full volume). Now I'm monkeying with the EQ settings with every song and I still can't get it to sound like it used to. It sounds like the quality of the music track from Slacker is not the same. Volume varies song to song much more than before. Maybe its in my head at this point..... Does anyone know what the stock EQ settings are or how I can reset this?
The high fidelity system has always been very sensitive to source quality. You really have to use lossless audio sources to get good sound, but there’s also big variance by track, because recording quality varies. Slacker has always sounded poor IMO because it is a compressed source. It is possible you are noticing this now because you are listening more critically. Rip some FLAC files!

Reactions: BlueRocket