TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2018.12 has ruined the audio system

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by sorka, Apr 21, 2018.

1. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Thanks. I found another thread discussing the new Immersive Sound option. So it sounds like I wasn't supposed to see it after all on my lowly first-gen MCU. :(

2. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

Since Tesla never replied to my Email I've Submitted an Executive Escalation Hopefully I can get some attention there we will see.

Id suggest other owners do the same as this will not be fixed unless we speak up!

From my understanding this effects all cars with MCU1 with 2018.12 or later. The way the audio is processed by the car has been changed, the car now cripples all audio tracks that it plays no matter what quality of the original track due to the low quality audio processing done by the car... Imagine a low quality mp3 file vs a high quality or original track, thats what we are getting now from the car audio.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. rallykeeper

rallykeeper Member

#23 rallykeeper, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Sometimes I think I'm crazy when I notice bad audio. It doesn't help that my middle-aged ears are starting to show some mileage.

But...I was complaining all weekend about bad audio performance to my wife and kids (and they just grumble and indulge me).

I definitely think .12 and .14.2 (which I'm now on) are worse than before.

I have all the same issues: poor low end, lower overall volume, etc. I'd add that Slacker audio seems particularly bad (as if they have lowered the bitrate again).

I have an early 2017 S with UHFS.

As to the X comment, we also have an X with .14.2 and it sounds just as good as it always has (which is better than the S).

• Love x 1
  4. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

saw the thread and didn't think much of it till i noticed I've been turning my volume up to 7 or 8 when I was usual at 4 or 5. Then I checked the EQ an noticed the max adjustment had dropped as well.

Hoping that they push a patch to fix the audio.

5. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

I have noticed this too, and also thought maybe my ears had gone. Just today I was thinking I should get one of my musically-inclined kids in the car to adjust the settings, because something was off. I'm so glad to see this thread. Have contacted Tesla with complaint.

• Like x 1
  6. Tech_Guy

We need more owners to make complaints about the issue otherwise nothing will be done, please use the executive escalation option on tesla.com to jumpstart the process. They will contact you to discuss, then they will then likely have the service center contact you to discuss and troubleshoot, which is the process I've gone through today. The service center pushed the most recent firmware to the car to see if the issue is still present and will then supposedly take the next steps to try and resolve.

From my PERSONAL past experience with Tesla software updates we will need multiple owners to contact them in order to bring more attention to the issue or it will not be resolved!! This shouldn't be hard, from what we know it effects all cars with MCU1!!! Consider this a call to action!

• Like x 1
  7. cruiserlarry

cruiserlarry Gadgetologist

I have sent 2 emails to the Executive Escalation dept regarding this issue already...I did receive a reply from Scott McCarthy, but no resolution. He had asked if the latest update (at that time it was 2018.12.6) restored it back to previous levels (which it did not, including the equalizer adjustment levels remaining at 8db instead of 12db). I was a little frustrated by that response, as Tesla tech should be aware of any visible changes that would occur to the equalizer from the update before I receive it, even if they aren't able to remotely determine an audible change.

8. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

Interesting - I noticed this yesterday, thought it was just my ears playing tricks. Nope, it's Tesla. Disappointed.

9. zambono

zambono Active Member

10. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

My response from exec...
    Basically says nothing.

Disappointed ...borderline pissed.

Attached Files:

11. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

is there a link to where this was stated or info on the sound system in general?

the only link i found was one comparing the two and they have the same number of speakers and are placed the same

12. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Per another thread on the latest firmware. Someone got a response from customer service saying a patch for the audio issues was in the works.

• Helpful x 1
  13. Tech_Guy

Can you provide a link to the post.

Id still like everyone who can hear the diffrence to submit an executive escalation on this via the Tesla website!

I have not been told they are fixing it, but rather that they want me to bring my car in to the service center so they can hear it. Ive got 26000 miles of listening to how music sounded in my car before this update how much experience does the service tech have?

They also want me to "...provide an audio sample of what the intended should sound like versus what you are currently hearing." which I also find quite laughable. Do they expect me to have high end audio recording equipment just laying around? Never mind the fact that once I have this recording and send it to them I have no control over the equipment or environment they would use to listen to the recording.

What Tesla should be doing is talking to the software engineers to find out why WE are hearing a difference in sound!

What WE should be doing is submitting more Executive Escalation complaints about the audio so that they know theres a big issue here!

14. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

15. Tech_Guy

Got it thanks, Funny there was no mention of this when I spoke to the executive team....Id suspect the reply was unfortunately a ruse by that employee! Thus why we all need to keep submitting Executive Escalations on this issue!!

"
    Note that earlier this month, I contacted customer support and received an email back that included this statement:
    "We are currently aware of the update affecting the EQ levels. We are looking to patch this up very soon so that we can bring that amazing sound back to the vehicle. We appreciate your patience...{etc.}":
    "

Again from my experience no amount of messing with the EQ restores the sounds as it was before these updates.

16. morrisdl

morrisdl Member

FYI- The sound started sucking in 2018.10

• Like x 1
  17. Takumi

Takumi Member

I concur. The sound sucked once it changed from 12dB to 8dB on the EQ.

Ours is currently on 2018.10.4

• Like x 1
  18. Hood7

Hood7 Member

Note that I got the above-quoted response more than 3 weeks ago... I'm getting a software update tonight, and I'm hoping it's 2018.16 (meaning I would skip 2018.14, as I'm currently on .12) and that 2018.16 has a positive impact on the audio. Fingers crossed.

I'm in an S, received delivery mid-March and apparently missed MCU2 by a day or two. Love the car, but I had great audio for just a day or two before the software update to 2018.10.6 (or 10.4?) "upgraded" me to downgraded sound! Subsequent update to 2018.12 seemed to very slightly improve it (could just be my ears/brain tricking me), and so I continue to wait for a real improvement. The first day or two of ownership showed me what the sound system is actually capable of, but now it just seems like that was a cruel tease!

Audio issue.jpg

19. Sacrament055

Sacrament055 Member

I have a 2013 S with standard audio and had noticed the sound changed dramatically after the last update. I played with the EQ and wasn't seeing much difference but when I started playing with the front/back side to side positioning and believe it started sounding better. I can't say it will help anyone else but at least in my case it made a difference.

20. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

#40 Navsarin, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Guys...just updated MX to .16 and is it just me or does it sound better?? The volume once again sounds kind of normal to loud at 6 again not 8 :)

I also sense a bit more low end and highs again even at 4-5 volume. Hmmm...eq is still max 8 but the sound seems stronger and better tuned again.
    Running MCU1.

I was listening to AC/DC thunderstruck earlier today on .14 and just now and there is a full difference. Anyone else to confirm or am I going nuts?!