Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.12 has ruined the audio system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The high fidelity system has always been very sensitive to source quality. You really have to use lossless audio sources to get good sound, but there’s also big variance by track, because recording quality varies. Slacker has always sounded poor IMO because it is a compressed source. It is possible you are noticing this now because you are listening more critically. Rip some FLAC files!
Thanks Tomas, I'll look into that.

Attachments

• FA857706-1E93-41D9-9E5A-905CFF9BE44A.jpeg
    FA857706-1E93-41D9-9E5A-905CFF9BE44A.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 92
The audio fix was only for the effected cars with MCU1. All reports I have seen, said the audio was great with MCU2 throughout this issue for the older MCU1 cars.

Again from the reports I've read the audio only goes to 8 on an MCU2 car with or without the premium audio

Reactions: DMack
The audio fix was only for the effected cars with MCU1. All reports I have seen, said the audio was great with MCU2 throughout this issue for the older MCU1 cars.

Again from the reports I've read the audio only goes to 8 on an MCU2 car with or without the premium audio
I’ve got MCU1. And the latest software. But still no change to audio quality or EQ

Software version?
Premium audio?
What’s your audio source?

I’d suggest playing a high quality track you heard before the quality reduction to see what you think...

However the EQ should go to 12 with MCU1, if it doesn’t I’d suspect that you don’t have the latest update

Software version?
Premium audio?
What’s your audio source?

I’d suggest playing a high quality track you heard before the quality reduction to see what you think...

However the EQ should go to 12 with MCU1, if it doesn’t I’d suspect that you don’t have the latest update

Premium Audio on P100D with MCU1
Inferior sound on all sources (including lossless). And the eq maxes at +- 8db

I can only think that there were different stacks in the 2018.18.2 release. Some didn’t address the audio issues.

By the way, just to put some more detail around the sound quality issue. There is noticeably less dynamic range. It is as if the system is taking high res audio files and then compressing them before then extracting them. The sound on my premium audio system is considerably worse than it was on my wife’s standard audio system.

I think much of the problem may have to do with the sound going to the rear speakers. If I send all the sound to the rears, it is incredibly tinny and faint. It as if there are two Apple Watch speakers mounted in the back...