Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.8.2 Mid Range Confirmed 5.2 Second 0-60 but that's not the whole story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5.2s 0-60 and 13.x 1/4 mile puts the MR into the same segment as things like Volkswagen Golf R and Subaru WRX STI which can go for about 40k as well

2019 Volkswagen Golf R Reviews | Volkswagen Golf R Price, Photos, and Specs | Car and Driver
2018 Subaru WRX STI First Test Review: Old Dog, Same Tricks - MotorTrend

Errr....

https://jalopnik.com/the-volkswagen-golf-r-is-worth-it-1792987328

When equipped with the DSG dual-clutch automatic, Volkswagen says the Golf R will launch to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds.

Did they slow the 2019 down or something?
(wouldn't surprise me, Lexus screwed up the IS350 the same way)

I'm looking forward to hearing from you how this works out. The MR trade-off compared to the SR's version of the trade-off vs the D's trade-off (the P being a different class). I expect the LR RWD isn't a contender here given it doesn't have a lot of extra jump compared to the extra weight, and doesn't have the front wheels driving as a potential to make up for the D's extra weight.
I’ll let you know Saturday, I’m signed up for her first track day.

Based on the splits it looks like the 0-60 improvement was accomplished with a faster launch to peak torque (so should feel a little faster off the line), and of course torque maintained to around 45mph rather than 35mph (roughly). That would be more like a 28% peak HP increase. The real number is probably a bit lower, but it is definitely far more than 5%. Just eyeballing the curves and splits it looks like at least 10% HP improvement .

In addition peak torque looks unchanged.

The attached splits show there is some noise in the data (probably need to average a few runs to get good splits -particularly the 30-40 and 40-50 splits - clear to me that 30-40 was probably close to 0.84 and 40-50 should be 0.87 - but, if this is consistent from run to run maybe there is something strange that Tesla is doing to increase peak torque for a brief window...I doubt it though), but overall shows:

1) faster launch
2) faster split from 30-40, 40-50, and 50-60
3) peak torque is unchanged (same splits 10-20, 20-30)

8EED826A-2C79-416A-8BF0-C24F8E6EB685.png

For the detail-oriented skeptics out there, I should add that I don’t really believe the 0-10 split from Dragy. As mentioned elsewhere, the first derivative of the velocity does not match the acceleration in the Dragy plots (and never does), so something is always a bit suspect.

However, for a relative comparison of 0-10 speed, this comparison is probably valid, and the new Dragy 0-10 are faster than before.

In reality, my guess is the 0-10 split is something like 0.9sec and the old split was about 1.0sec. These are just guesses though. (If the numbers were really as the table above suggests, it would indicate an increase in peak torque, but there is no real evidence of that in the acceleration plots.)

What’s clear is that if the acceleration data is to be believed, the 0-10 time is definitely slower than the 10-20 time, not faster (as my table above suggests).

In short, the velocity vs. time data in Dragy is probably not correct from 0-5 mph. It is not self consistent (v vs. a) and doesn’t align in general with VBOX results either.

But the basic conclusions I think are still valid since this is a relative comparison. The absolute numbers may not be precise though.

Last edited:
Very cool. I have the Long-Range Model 3. Can I expect similar improvements in acceleration with the update?

I also have some very basic questions about the update:

*How do I get the update? Is it like the software updates where I get a notification and then it's installed over-the-air?

*How do I tell what version of the firmware I'm currently running? On the app, it just says I'm on "Version 2019.5.15," which I'm guessing is the software version - not firmware. Is that right?

Thanks.

*How do I get the update? Is it like the software updates where I get a notification and then it's installed over-the-air?
Yes, that's the way you get it.
*How do I tell what version of the firmware I'm currently running? On the app, it just says I'm on "Version 2019.5.15," which I'm guessing is the software version - not firmware. Is that right?
Yes, you can see it there via the phone app or you can tap the "T" logo at the top of the instrument screen and it lists the version towards the bottom of that pop-up.

"Firmware" is the software. "Firmware" is a colloquial term that refers to software that is tied in tightly with the hardware. Contrast to optional applications that can be added, which the Tesla doesn't have, so that's why it is sometimes called "firmware" on the Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Just got the 2018.8.2 update with the 5% power increase in my Mid Range. I didn't buy this car for its performance but I bought it banking on the fact it would get quicker when the SR was released. Although she's not the fastest car, she will be my SCCA AutoX car this year (hoping the lightest weight Model 3 is going to help around an AutoX course). The thing that's amazing with Teslas is that they are incredibly consistent with their times, they would be hard to beat for bracket racing.

Pre Model 3 "uncorking" the car ran consistent 5.6 0-60's with one 1/4 mile pass of [email protected] @ ~83% battery SOC. Took it out today and knocked off consistent 5.2 0-60's with a similar ~83% battery SOC. I didn't get a chance to do a 1/4 mile pass but I will be sure to update when I do. Obviously all Teslas with the exception of the the performance models are programmed to be sandbagged off the line but there is a very noticeable difference in the mid range say 30-40+ roll on, feels very strong and I wouldn't be surprised if it was was at least a few tenths of a second with some more MPH on the quarter mile as well.

View attachment 387259 View attachment 387260 View attachment 387261
Thanks mate . Great info. I was wondering how much it was , but really felt it in my son’s Lemur

Very cool. I have the Long-Range Model 3. Can I expect similar improvements in acceleration with the update?

I also have some very basic questions about the update:

Thanks.
No, from Tesla the LR gets a boost of just 5.2s to 5.0s | 0-60. I’m suspecting that when the MR first rolled out, they artificially nerfed the speed to give more differentiation compared to the long range so there would be more parity besides range. That’s probably why the MR is the only one that got more than 5% boost. Especially with my tax credit, I’m a happy camper now. Even though Tesla purchasing experience was a total nightmare including service.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Thanks for the responses. I just looked at the "T" screen in the car and it says "v9.0(2019.5.15 f5def7e). Does that mean I've already gotten the update that boosts the acceleration? Thanks.
Nope, you wanna wait for the 2019.8.2 update. Should be soon. Also an easier alternative way to check your software version is to look in your app home page and scroll all the way down by the VIN#.

I’m still showing “2019.5.15”. It seems weird that Tesla wouldn’t push outdates to all cars simultaneously. Is that normal? I’m assuming I’ll get a notice from Tesla when I do get the update?
They roll out updates like Google does. Small group, then wider and wider. You will get a notification after the car has downloaded the update.