Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Non Autopilot people, should we buy AP for $2000 before next Monday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
In a similar vein to another thread here, I'm wondering what the thoughts are of those, such as myself, who purchased zero autopilot features upon purchase about upgrading before Monday. While I'm absolutely not going to drop the $5k for the full suite, I am tempted to put the $2k down for the base autopilot.

I work from home and am not in traffic all that much. Although, living in tri-state NY it does happen. I absolutely love to drive, especially this car, which is why I didn't even consider it at time of purchase. Now I'm wondering if it's worth it even from just a resale perspective. Yeah, I'd use it from time to time on long road trips or the occasional traffic backup, but I don't need it. If, after resale, it's going to cost me $500, sure fine why not.

What's the general consensus here? I'm concerned after this weekend I'll be all, "Wish I got in when the price was temporarily lowered". What's the standard price anyway, $3k? $5k?

Frankly as a LR AWD owner I was hoping to drop $2k on a power update. lol

Best,
Gene

...What's the standard price anyway, $3k? $5k?...

Prior to price confusion, the whole package of EAP+FSD was:

Pre-delivery
$5,000 EAP + $3,000 FSD=$8,000

Post-deliver
$7,000 EAP + $5,000 FSD=$12,000

Lots of confusing prices prior to the price decrease in 2/28/2019.

As of 3/1/2019 orders, the whole package of EA+FSD is:

Pre-delivery
$3,000 AP + $5,000 FSD=$8,000

Post-deliver
$4,000 AP + $7,000 FSD=$11,000

It's unknown what will Tesla's normal prices will be.

Since no one has ever successfully sell FSD (a car drives itself and charges its self along the way from California and meet up with you in New York), the prices are just speculation.

For a real FSD, it would be worth much more than $12,000 because it saves you the labor cost of human driver and it goes pickup customers to make money when you don't need it.

What Tesla is selling you is a future that no one has ever successfully done it because Waymo still has a safety backup driver.

But since you are looking at AP and not FSD, I think AP alone is worthy of increased safety.

Taking eyes off the road to adjust navigation inputs, choose songs... is dangerous and AP is really helpful because it brakes for you and keeps your car inside your lane.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
I think AP will go back up to $4k on Monday. I'm in the same boat. It was hard enough for me to pull the trigger on a LR RWD + multi-coat red back in September of last year.

I rarely use the freeway, but I've taken a couple 200+ mile freeway trips (one way). One of those was to Seattle from Spokane with the EAP trial, which was just an awesome experience. I would happily pay the $2k for AP if it was my decision alone. But I think the wife would file those divorce papers onsite if I devoted any more capital to this car :(

I bit the bullet and paid for the $2000 ($2600 CAD) for AP yesterday , so it should be active by the weekend hopefully. At some point in the future, I may upgrade to FSD (perhaps when the car is paid off in less than 4 years) .

Did not order EAP or FSD when we bought the car in mid December , as it would have made the cost way over budget at the time.

But when I had the EAP trial for the first month of ownership, I really liked the auto steer and adaptive cruise control and am super excited to have those features back permanently !.

I remember during the EAP trial, I took one of my friends for a ride , and he was super impressed at how the car could follow and automatically slow, stop and accelerate to keep pace with the car ahead .
Then as we came to some curves I let go of the wheel , and HIS JAW WAS ON THE FLOOR as he watched the steering wheel turn on its own !
He looked at me with his eyes wide and jaw open, like he had just seen The Virgin Mary and the Immaculate Conception.

He said that since he was a kid, he had always dreamed of seeing a drive that could drive on its own , and to see that in person was just mind-blowing MAGIC .

You can always get more money, but how many times in life can you actually buy MAGIC ?

Last edited:
I skipped all the AP stuff when I got my car last August, bought AP for 2k the second I was able to. It wasn't worth it to me at the time to pay 5k for what was then just traffic aware cruise control, lane keeping, and parking (I'll park myself thank you), and I frankly really stretched my budget getting a P3D-. For 2k though, cruise control and lane keeping is a no brainer. I live in a rural area and driving anywhere involves a single lane road 60 miles long with few passing zones, so TACC makes driving stuck behind someone way more relaxing, and I have a 8k-9k mile road trip in a few months which sealed the deal.

I’d go ahead and spend the $2K for AP if I drove on the highway a lot because it does work well. I would not spend anything on FSD because it’s hard to justify spending money on vaporware. If you were purchasing a new M3 today the extra $8K could take you all the way from a $35K SR model to a $43K LR model. You get so much value for the $8K there versus a promise that someday FSD may work down the road.

You need AP so you can have a Rainbow Road to match your wheels!

I couldn't justify 5k for EAP with my short commute. But the early 2 week trial did show me how nice it can be for those times I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic or on a long road trip. So when they first announced the more limited AP for $3k I got a little excited, but dismayed by the $4k after purchase price. I figured if they gave us previous owners a crack at the $3k price I'd probably pony up for it. But when the letter came out stating the $2k price, well...shut up and take my money!

• Love
When going to work , other than the first and last 2 minutes of my commute , I can have it on AP for the whole trip.

So will make it more relaxed , fun of a drive and I can rock out , & throw one or both fists in the air , as hard as I want, without worry about rear-ending anyone. LOL

We have AP1 on my wife's 2015 S70D and did not purchase FSD. AP1 is pretty darn good for our needs. When I purchased my P3D+ I did purchase EAP, which I use and like a lot. I did not get FSD at that time, due to my concerns about price vs. availability vs. technology etc. but with my cost dropping to $2000 this week, and the expectation that I would get HW3 (with likely some computing performance benefits), I went ahead and paid the $2000 yesterday. I see FSD in my Tesla Account on line. Now we wait....

In a similar vein to another thread here, I'm wondering what the thoughts are of those, such as myself, who purchased zero autopilot features upon purchase about upgrading before Monday. While I'm absolutely not going to drop the $5k for the full suite, I am tempted to put the $2k down for the base autopilot.

I work from home and am not in traffic all that much. Although, living in tri-state NY it does happen. I absolutely love to drive, especially this car, which is why I didn't even consider it at time of purchase. Now I'm wondering if it's worth it even from just a resale perspective. Yeah, I'd use it from time to time on long road trips or the occasional traffic backup, but I don't need it. If, after resale, it's going to cost me $500, sure fine why not.

What's the general consensus here? I'm concerned after this weekend I'll be all, "Wish I got in when the price was temporarily lowered". What's the standard price anyway, $3k? $5k?

Best,
Gene
You get the power update free. 5%, but free lol. Use the 2K for AP. I just did today as well. Couldn't justify the 5 or 6 before, but 2? Yep!

I’m buying basic ap for $2k which makes the most sense. Even though i don’t commute, the feature is nice to have for the times you’re in traffic. Skipping fsd since I think we’re still years out from full useable autonomous driving.

Best,
Gene
2k for this feature is a smoking deal. Waaaay back I paid 3k for AP1 on my S and felt pretty smug watching the price of AP continue to rise. With about 100k of AP miles I guarantee you will love this feature. Total game changer for long road trips.

Reactions: Emmexx1
Bit the bullet :eek:
Screenshot_20190318-211524.png

Nice! I spent way too much time thinking about this. As much as I want to do it, I'm going to personally pass. We do a few long road trips every year but for 355 days a year we won't use it. We didn't use it beyond the "hey look this is silly" level when we had the trial for a month. Also, I while I think the price will go back up to $3k or whatever on Wednesday, I see it dropping back down again. I'm certain my opinion will change come Thursday! lol

we sprung for it on Sunday and it became available yesterday. Just got back from a trip to check it out. We don't drive much anymore (retired), but it will be a blast for a road trip 1-2x year. (We now have it on both M3's.) Plus, a little bit of market timing (bad, I know): figuring that prices will go up long-term, (hoping) that it increases resell value.