Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This sale is for an actual 2018 Model 3, not a reservation. This car is being sold at the cost basis after paying the AZ State sales tax to Tesla. Since this is a third party private sale, no additional sales tax will be due on sale. If you have a late registration or are thinking of signing up now, the federal tax credit will be gone and this sale allows the opportunity to skip the line and own a Model 3 now at cost (see attached photo of Purchase Agreement and cost summary).

This Model 3 is fully loaded with the Midnight Silver Metallic paint, Long Range battery (310 mile EPA rated range), Black Leather interior, 19 inch sport wheels, Premium Upgrade package, and Enhanced Autopilot.

Standard features include three-phase-six pole electric motor, lithium-ion battery, 120 & 240 charger, 7 cameras, forward radar, 12 ultrasonic sensors, 8 front & side air-bags, electronic stability/traction control, electronic parking brake, disc brakes, anti-theft alarm system, 15" touch screen, on-board maps & navigation, WiFi & mobile network connectivity, FM & streaming radio, Bluetooth phone connection, voice-activated controls, high-def backup camera, dual climate controls, 2 USB ports for media & power, LED exterior lighting.

I purchased the car early as a current Model S owner without having seen or test drove, and despite this being a fantastic car have decided to sell and keep my Model S. The car has less than 100 miles and was driven from the Tesla dealership to my garage where it will be safely stored in Scottsdale area.

Attachments

• 4B55F121-FCE2-4DF6-975D-C1F7039B7228.jpeg
    4B55F121-FCE2-4DF6-975D-C1F7039B7228.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 252
  • C0151428-BBB3-46F5-B749-98C288A6EFB5.jpeg
    C0151428-BBB3-46F5-B749-98C288A6EFB5.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 08883932-8A68-458B-98E8-34272A6D99B1.jpeg
    08883932-8A68-458B-98E8-34272A6D99B1.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 176
  • BD5093A3-907F-42E6-BA7C-87F4E6059B5F.jpeg
    BD5093A3-907F-42E6-BA7C-87F4E6059B5F.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 6864AC6B-334C-4A48-A18D-A6B512DCE736.jpeg
    6864AC6B-334C-4A48-A18D-A6B512DCE736.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 1C1D7A33-F659-41DC-A25C-702C61FFBBB8.jpeg
    1C1D7A33-F659-41DC-A25C-702C61FFBBB8.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 48D4AB7C-C6CA-46A2-BE2F-462D1A5175E9.jpeg
    48D4AB7C-C6CA-46A2-BE2F-462D1A5175E9.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 176
  • D3DC3BA6-D611-4689-8DC7-DDC93212B36C.jpeg
    D3DC3BA6-D611-4689-8DC7-DDC93212B36C.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 180
  • CDFB6244-549C-4DDC-BEB6-37D02DCFFAB6.jpeg
    CDFB6244-549C-4DDC-BEB6-37D02DCFFAB6.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 171
  • F525A566-D056-439C-AF27-CC1BB75E6F02.jpeg
    F525A566-D056-439C-AF27-CC1BB75E6F02.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: Amit519
Can the board comment on this line? My understanding is the new owner would have to pay sales tax in his/her state.

The original buyer is the only one who can take the credit. Remember, that you need the income to utilize the whole credit. So if you do not make enough money and pay enough taxes, you cannot get the entire value from the credit. So this would be good for someone who wants to jump the line and who would not get the full value from the Credit. It does not mean you should over pay. Also there are ways to make your tax higher to better leverage the credit, like a Roth conversion of an IRA. Doing this would make your total tax higher but your IRA would grow tax free and when you retired, your Roth is tax free when you start to use it.

Edit: just realized I answered the wrong question.

Last edited:
Original purchaser already gets the federal tax credit, right? So this opportunity for a buyer is more to jump the line and forego the tax credit?

Not criticizing the sale, just wanted to clarify that bit.

Yes Tesla registers the car at purchase and therefore the credit only goes only to original owner. Opportunity is to skip line and acquire car at cost for those that won’t be eligible for it anyways.

Reactions: davidc18
This sale is for an actual 2018 Model 3, not a reservation. This car is being sold at the cost basis after paying the AZ State sales tax to Tesla. Since this is a third party private sale, no additional sales tax will be due on sale. If you have a late registration or are thinking of signing up now, the federal tax credit will be gone and this sale allows the opportunity to skip the line and own a Model 3 now at cost (see attached photo of Purchase Agreement and cost summary).

This Model 3 is fully loaded with the Midnight Silver Metallic paint, Long Range battery (310 mile EPA rated range), Black Leather interior, 19 inch sport wheels, Premium Upgrade package, and Enhanced Autopilot.

Standard features include three-phase-six pole electric motor, lithium-ion battery, 120 & 240 charger, 7 cameras, forward radar, 12 ultrasonic sensors, 8 front & side air-bags, electronic stability/traction control, electronic parking brake, disc brakes, anti-theft alarm system, 15" touch screen, on-board maps & navigation, WiFi & mobile network connectivity, FM & streaming radio, Bluetooth phone connection, voice-activated controls, high-def backup camera, dual climate controls, 2 USB ports for media & power, LED exterior lighting.

I purchased the car early as a current Model S owner without having seen or test drove, and despite this being a fantastic car have decided to sell and keep my Model S. The car has less than 100 miles and was driven from the Tesla dealership to my garage where it will be safely stored in Scottsdale area.

And forgot to list price is $62,500.

Wow, You want a buyer to pay for your taxes in your state, handle the taxes wherever they live and give up the 7,500 credit on a Model 3 ...good luck.

I love the straight negativity you get some times .... like I advertised its no additional burden for someone purchasing in AZ or another state that doesn’t require sales tax to be paid on third party sales. If you don’t fall in that category then maybe it’s not for you. Someone with a 2019 delivery or later or signing up now isn’t getting the tax credit anyways so it’s simply an opportunity to buy the car now at cost and not wait.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: DrRa and dhanson865
Original purchaser already gets the federal tax credit, right? So this opportunity for a buyer is more to jump the line and forego the tax credit?

Not criticizing the sale, just wanted to clarify that bit.

Since the original owner clearly bought it for resale, having drove it directly to their garage where it will be stored until sale, they are not eligible for the tax credit either, and claiming it would be tax fraud, absent some enormous mitigating circumstance we're not aware of.

Since the original owner clearly bought it for resale, having drove it directly to their garage where it will be stored until sale, they are not eligible for the tax credit either, and claiming it would be tax fraud, absent some enormous mitigating circumstance we're not aware of.

We are all so enlightened and thankful to have your unsolicited tax advice Mr. CPA.

Since the original owner clearly bought it for resale, having

drove it directly to their garage where it will be stored until sale, they are not eligible for the tax credit either, and claiming it would be tax fraud, absent some enormous mitigating circumstance we're not aware of.

This would not come anywhere close to being tax fraud. In addition, reporting a completely legitimate tax credit on his taxes isn't going to increase his audit risk score.

Also, he didn't clearly buy it for resale. "Yeah, well, That's just, like, your opinion, man."

You may not like what the OP is doing here, but claiming that he is committing tax fraud is incredibly reckless.

This would not come anywhere close to being tax fraud. In addition, reporting a completely legitimate tax credit on his taxes isn't going to increase his audit risk score.

Also, he didn't clearly buy it for resale. "Yeah, well, That's just, like, your opinion, man."

You may not like what the OP is doing here, but claiming that he is committing tax fraud is incredibly reckless.

As I stated, it's possible that there's some mitigating circumstance not included in the post; it's possible that after he bought it but before he got home, he got a call that he lost his job, or his wife was pregnant, or some other thing that is a part of OP's private life and wouldn't make any sense to include in a for sale post, I don't know his life.

Given the enormous number of model 3's on EBay, Craigslist, etc with basically no miles though, I find it hard to believe that this is the main driver behind these sales isn't an intent to resell, even if it's hard to show that for any particular case. Tax fraud cases tend to be civil though, so there's no need for the government to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, so I hope these people do have some kind of evidence to explain why they bought a car, and changed their mind within the hour to resell after taking a $7500 credit.

As I stated, it's possible that there's some mitigating circumstance not included in the post; it's possible that after he bought it but before he got home, he got a call that he lost his job, or his wife was pregnant, or some other thing that is a part of OP's private life and wouldn't make any sense to include in a for sale post, I don't know his life.

Given the enormous number of model 3's on
EBay, Craigslist, etc with basically no miles though, I find it hard to believe that this is the main driver behind these sales isn't an intent to resell, even if it's hard to show that for any particular case. Tax fraud cases tend to be civil though, so there's no need for the government to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, so I hope these people do have some kind of evidence to explain why they bought a car, and changed their mind within the hour to resell after taking a $7500 credit.

Mitigating circumstances aren't needed. There is nothing in his post that indicates he bought the car with the intent of reselling it. Maybe he bought the car, got home and saw the prices on eBay and then decided to sell the car. Still doesn't show he bought the car with the intent of selling it.

In a previous career part of my job was advocating on a client's behalf with the IRS/DOL during audits. Based on your comment, it's difficult for me to believe that you've dealt with them. Legitimate tax credits do not trigger audits, nor raise audit scores. Even in the event the OP was randomly audited, the IRS MIGHT ask him for his paperwork for the credit. They're not going to look in his garage to make sure he still has possession of the car. Why not? Because it's not a requirement of receiving the tax credit.

I've also asked my accountant about this numerous times. He has indicated each time there is no issue with buying a car, then selling it, no matter how short the time between buying and selling is.

People who are upset that posters are able to sell the cars and still get the tax credit need to get over it. It's perfectly legitimate.

Price Reduced to $60,900, a discount of $1,500 from Tesla (including sales tax). DM me with any questions or to schedule an appointment to look at car.

Mitigating circumstances aren't needed. There is nothing in his post that indicates he bought the car with the intent of reselling it. Maybe he bought the car, got home and saw the prices on eBay and then decided to sell the car. Still doesn't show he bought the car with the intent of selling it.

In a previous career part of my job was advocating on a client's behalf with the IRS/DOL during audits. Based on your comment, it's difficult for me to believe that you've dealt with them. Legitimate tax credits do not trigger audits, nor raise audit scores. Even in the event the OP was randomly audited, the IRS MIGHT ask him for his paperwork for the credit. They're not going to look in his garage to make sure he still has possession of the car. Why not? Because it's not a requirement of receiving the tax credit.

I've also asked my accountant about this numerous times. He has indicated each time there is no issue with buying a car, then selling it, no matter how short the time between buying and selling is.

People who are upset that posters are able to sell the cars and still get the tax credit need to get over it. It's perfectly legitimate.

I would not rely on you for tax advice. A good auditor would see that 200 miles equals intent to resell. The OP has to decide what level of uncertainty he/she is willing to live with. GLWS