Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12 - Updated browser, software on demand, new games and more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speed is part contract, part APN proxy QoS, part coverage area and mostly hardware.

First, cost. Car makers pay wholesale rates for LTE, which is about $3 per GB on ATT, shared among the fleet. Cheaper than regular phone customers. So customers who paid for the premium sound package with streaming easily paid for a lifetime supply of “free internet”

What LTE module is in the new vehicles? My X and S has the Sierra wireless LTE modem, ~2013 chipset with the jasper SIM card on jasper proxy. (Jasper was att’s connected car sim/proxy vendor) Single antenna, band 12 lte only. Every att device ever made has band 12, and it’s their longest range band. Almost every car in the past 10 years, with or without “service” and IOT device actively uses the band 12. Which means it’s crowded and slow. Idle Connections can saturate band 12. Att Phones and tablets are configured to sit on high bands, 2,4,5,14, 29,30,66, etc. and most phones 2017 and beyond have 4x4 MIMO & carrier aggregation. Which means they can talk on 5 bands and 4 channels each band all at once to get the speed. (5Ge label just marks the area where this lte-a speed is enabled)

In my area, when I specifically force band 12 only on an lte modem, it is about the same speed as the Tesla vehicles. So they don’t actually appear throttled very much by the proxy. Limited by hardware generation. Tesla should use the LTE-A chipsets, not sure if anyone can confirm if they do today or not?

Now for those interested in APN (access point name) all carriers have this capability. They provision SIM cards with the proxy login, which routes all traffic through an authenticated proxy. This allows car companies split billing. The Manufacturer can pay for telematics ports/vpn data use and customer can pay for infotainment ports, music html, video, hotspot, etc. this proxy also allows the manufacturer to set priority. Telematics data is more important than music, etc. business customers do this to prioritize email and Vpn over Facebook /YouTube every day.
Tesla proxies all telematics and upgrades over a VPN port, so upgrade speed is controlled directly by Tesla software not the proxy.
What’s interesting is that Tesla blocks video simply by removing the codec from the Linux kernel, not blocking it at the proxy. They could re enable video in park via software update. Can anyone view recorded video on the main display in sentry mode? I would expect in Russia or South Korea they would really use that instant playback feature for dash cams.

I think youycan make a service appointment using your Tesla phone app and select the firmware update option. The option is there for a reason...
I did exactly this last Thursday, while at work. Two weeks earlier, I had received an app notification of a software update, clicked Start Update, then it vanished. Was thinking there was something wrong, so I made the service appointment. Within 30 minutes I had an alert on the Tesla app, telling me a software update was available. A few minutes after that, I received a text from from Vinny at the Tesla Virtual Service Team, letting me know that he had staged the update for me. 30 minutes later, firmware 2019.8.5 was up and running. Mind you, this all happened away from home, without WiFi access.

Perhaps 2019.12 will work the same way. Fingers crossed.

Yes. I think this policy makes sense. Going 80-90mph in the US can bring you a speeding ticket in almost all the states! But, on the Audobon, that speed puts you in the right lane.

Big speed disparities on the Autobahn. While it’s hard to cruise left at under 150km/hr, the right lane is typically filled with those narrow European-style trucks, including road maintenance trucks.