Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.16 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m the guy who posted those (both here and on Reddit). I took delivery 5/9, got 2019.16 on 5/10, posted those photos this morning.

I didn’t mask out the car’s name (Friday) because that doesn’t seem like sensitive information. Am I missing something?

Happy to answer any questions about 2019.16, since I seem to be one of the few that has it. The new car visualization (auto zoom in and out, etc.) and automatic geofenced Sentry Mode are pretty cool. The new lane departure warnings/assist are there, but weren’t enabled by default (I turned them on). Haven’t tried NoA yet to see if anything is different (I still had to confirm lane changes when I was on 2019.12.1.2), and I didn’t notice anything different about autopilot.
If you check favorites in the Sentry Mode options, does it just apply it to all of your favorite Nav locations or does it bring up a list of your favorites, so you can select individual favorite locations specifically?

Regarding the new Software Update Preferences

1. I'm assuming one might be able to leave it on "Standard" and then if you decide based on user feedback that you want to upgrade you can switch it to "Advanced", and perhaps trigger the update. In other words, this might function like an "Update Now" button if used this way.

2. As a UI designer it makes me sick to see labels like "Standard" and "Advanced" (which are meaningless to the end-user without an additional explanation) used to describe the new behavior, but at least they included an Info popup that offers their translation.

It's just how to communicate to the "Average" human, LOL.

I have a similar background... it can also mean Engineering was too busy to explain, training was clueless, or... there was no training dept as is the case with Tesla (and the next App you download). Was a pet peeve last year, but I'm getting used to not having details. The whole car is an easter egg IMO.

Way off topic... my other business (went hobby) was 3D Animated Instructions from CAD (SAP stuff). I once animated an "IKEA Loft Bed" assembly procedure on YouTube, and 9 years later it's still getting applauded, nearing 200K hits. It's poor quality by today's standards, but I just couldn't sell the concept to IKEA. Their Engineering group was who pushed back saying "We don't have the infrastructure..." Still? Real reason... there is no valid ROI data on cost savings from having good instructions. I looked - deep into the 6-sigma networks globally. Nothing.

If you check favorites in the Sentry Mode options, does it just apply it to all of your favorite Nav locations or does it bring up a list of your favorites, so you can select individual favorite locations specifically?
It's all Favorites, or no Favorites. Nothing happens when you check the Favorites box except that it gets checked. I wish there was a way to be a little more granular with which Favorites are excluded, but for now, in 2019.16, it's all or none.

It's all Favorites, or no Favorites. Nothing happens when you check the Favorites box except that it gets checked. I wish there was a way to be a little more granular with which Favorites are excluded, but for now, in 2019.16, it's all or none.
Agreed. STATS app might handle this better.
Stats: For Tesla Model S/X/3 by MaaDoTaa
‎Stats: For Tesla Model S/X/3
Bought it, however, I’m reluctant to give it access to my account.

Agreed. STATS app might handle this better.
Stats: For Tesla Model S/X/3 by MaaDoTaa
‎Stats: For Tesla Model S/X/3
Bought it, however, I’m reluctant to give it access to my account.
FWIW, I am more comfortable trusting Stats with access to my account than TeslaFi. The developer of Stats has posted frequently here on the TMC forums, and has been very open and transparent to what data is collected, and where it's stored (in your iCloud drive, not on servers he has access to).

I also noticed sleep/phantom drain issues for the brief time I had TeslaFi enabled (which is why I removed it). I have not noticed those issues with the Stats app.

Not yet. Couldn’t take any safely while driving. I’ll see if I can enlist an assistant and capture some.
Congrats on the new car Josh! Eagerly awaiting your video of the new on screen car visualization. No one has posted a video of a drive yet in real-time. Wonder if it looks like the time lapse FSD one that Tesla recently released? Or less detailed?

C89F3D69-57CF-47FC-A158-A14AB40FCEE9.jpeg
35D13B81-21F4-4FB1-8723-EDB2F6FF17C9.jpeg
Someone in another thread asked for pics of the new Sentry Mode menu bar icon, so here are a couple I took (on and off - changes with a tap).

FWIW, I am more comfortable trusting Stats with access to my account than TeslaFi. The developer of Stats has posted frequently here on the TMC forums, and has been very open and transparent to what data is collected, and where it's stored (in your iCloud drive, not on servers he has access to).

I also noticed sleep/phantom drain issues for the brief time I had TeslaFi enabled (which is why I removed it). I have not noticed those issues with the Stats app.

So you have the new hardware as well. Have you noticed any quirky things in autopilot?

And how does it correct your driving after crossing lines? Does it over power your force on the wheel? What's that like?

Oh, and does it splash a cup of ice cold water in your face too?

• Funny
Reactions: MarcG
So you have the new hardware as well. Have you noticed any quirky things in autopilot?

And how does it correct your driving after crossing lines? Does it over power your force on the wheel? What's that like?

Oh, and does it splash a cup of ice cold water in your face too?
I haven't noticed anything "quirky" about autopilot, other than the fact that I'm pretty consistently getting "Navigate on Autopilot isn't available for this drive, but may be available next time" messages since I got the 2019.16 update (those didn't happen on 2019.12.1.2, and NoA worked as expected). I haven't done enough driving/testing/researching to figure out what's going on yet.

I also haven't tried the lane departure warning/assist yet. Only highway driving I've done since getting the update was my work commute today, and traffic was too heavy to experiment with "what happens when I drift out of my lane". ;) I'll try it when I can, and report back.

What is "Teslafi"? and how do you sign up for it?
It's a website/online service that lets you monitor and track a bunch of stuff about your Tesla, and aggregates information from all of its users about things like average efficiency, who is on what version of the software, etc. People get all excited when a new software version is spotted there.

You can learn more and sign up at Home - TeslaFi.com. It costs $5/month (or $50/year), but there's a free trial. It requires your Tesla login credentials to generate an API key, and they claim they throw your credentials away after getting the API key. You can always revoke access through the API key by changing your Tesla password. You also have to beware of phantom drain because apparently by default the service will be polling your car often enough to keep it from going to sleep, and therefore wasting energy. They have instructions on how to configure it to avoid that, but it was a bit too complicated for me (and I'm a huge tech nerd). The iPhone app Stats gives me the same info, more neat features (like scheduled climate control, geofenced automatic Sentry Mode, and Siri shortcuts), so I'm just sticking with that for now.

Reactions: Deraillor
I haven't noticed anything "quirky" about autopilot, other than the fact that I'm pretty consistently getting "Navigate on Autopilot isn't available for this drive, but may be available next time" messages since I got the 2019.16 update (those didn't happen on 2019.12.1.2, and NoA worked as expected). I haven't done enough driving/testing/researching to figure out what's going on yet.

I also haven't tried the lane departure warning/assist yet. Only highway driving I've done since getting the update was my work commute today, and traffic was too heavy to experiment with "what happens when I drift out of my lane". ;) I'll try it when I can, and report back.

Huh, never seen that msg. Maybe camera calibration, or its learning your roads?

So the steering wheel icon isn't available either? (Left of speed indicator.)

Still trying to ans... why just 4 people now? Maybe you're a mellow driver, away from confusing traffic??? Cant be random.

Huh, never seen that msg. Maybe camera calibration, or its learning your roads?

So the steering wheel icon isn't available either? (Left of speed indicator.)

Still trying to ans... why just 4 people now? Maybe you're a mellow driver, away from confusing traffic??? Cant be random.
Camera calibration complete in the first ten minutes after I picked it up last week. And autosteer is still there, and works fine. “Regular” autopilot (autosteer + TACC) works fine, it’s just “Navigate on Autopilot” that throws that message.

It’s not a big deal on my daily commute, since I don’t switch highways or anything. Just the only “quirk” I’ve noticed with 2019.16. I’m sure it will get resolved at some point.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Camera calibration complete in the first ten minutes after I picked it up last week. And autosteer is still there, and works fine. “Regular” autopilot (autosteer + TACC) works fine, it’s just “Navigate on Autopilot” that throws that message.

It’s not a big deal on my daily commute, since I don’t switch highways or anything. Just the only “quirk” I’ve noticed with 2019.16. I’m sure it will get resolved at some point.

I am getting this quite often in 2019.12.1.2

Reactions: dwalme
I have also read that there were issues with cars not sleeping. (Tesla Insomnia :))

My car not going to sleep and therefore rendering the Tesla app completely non-functional for forty-five seconds after I launch it is actually a feature of TeslaFi, for me. A few miles of drain a day are essentially meaningless for the convenience of actually being able to use the remote functions of my car without waiting.