Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.20.2.1 Right Justified In Lane At Night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 2019.20.2.1 yesterday. I have HW3. Tonight on both NAP and Autosteer on surface streets, my M3 was hard against the right edge of the lane. It clearly knew it was (see attached image) to the point where passing other vehicles I felt uncomfortable at how close it was (ultrasonics showed red proximity as passing other vehicles). This is the first time I've driven on this version at night.

Attachments

• 20190618_214551.jpg
    20190618_214551.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 136
My SR+ with HW3 has generally hugged the left side and the car knows it and displays as such on the screen just like you showed. When cars are passing me on the highway I can see they're keeping far left in the lane because of where I am. 2019.20.2.1 may have slightly improved it during today's commute but only time will tell.

When I first got my TM3 (June 7th), AP hugged the left lane to and from work. For whatever reason, starting last Friday, before the 2019.20.2.1 update, it has now started hugging the right.

On the plus side, post-update, when the lane widens due to a merging lane, it doesn't seem to aggressively center like it did initially.

Interesting, I posted recently that I’d like AP to be able to be adjusted in its lane, like 6” left or right of center in order to avoid the pothole line, or to allow lanesplitters, or if I’m in the leftmost lane, I like to be left of center, and viceversa. Clearly this is more than comfortable, and not adjustable, but it shows what’s possible.

There was one time that my M3 HW3 hugged the left line much so, that I felt uncomfortable and didn't use it. It happened on my drive home from work for lunch. The funny thing was that I didn't have that problem when I went to work and I didn't have the problem back to work after lunch. I guess it was just some anomaly during that particular drive.