Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I periodically go onto the Tesla website to place a mock order, to see if prices have changed, etc and also just to remind myself of what I'm aiming to get. Just did it now, and noticed that Tesla now seem to only want £100 deposit (I'm sure it was £750 previously)...

It used to be a deposit - now its a "non-refundable order fee"

^^ it's because Tesla sales/deliveries teams don't know the answer, they are all in "get calls cleared" mode whilst they have little or no stock.

They are just telling people whatever they think placates them. This week I had "expect roughly 1st week in March but no VIN assigned yet, however if you call me on 17th February I will know more". Something vague, then something specific, with no commitment whatsoever.

Reactions: planehazza
Before placing my order with Tesla last night, all Leasing companies I've contacted; DriveElectric, Octopus, ZenAutos have stated that they're not getting their shipments until June at the earliest.

I don't know if Leasing companies are pushed down the list, as lots of companies are getting new fleets for the Tax Year, and Grant changes?

And possibly Tesla is prioritising Direct orders? Who knows ‍♂️

well my M3P order went in about 9 days ago. Can`t see me getting this car April reading this, which is the lead time I`d been told by leasing company

It does seem like a bit of a lottery. I guess they to look at it is (at least in my particular circumstance) is that you just need to hope a car is available for you in the next few shipments. This might not actually be a car originally destined for you, but perhaps an over order or someone who can't take delivery! I am still unaware of the exact circumstances around how I was matched with a car in December, this could have been a car which I was assigned from the factory or maybe someone else who cancelled. I would never be able to tell as it's through a company car lease scheme and the 3rd party lease company appears to have a bulk assignment of cars from Tesla and then they do the matching.

I've been into the Tesla store in Bristol with my RN number and it throws up seemingly generic data which, according to the staff there, is the same for all cars through Tusker (i.e. marked as Tusker orders, no VIN assignment by Tesla and all marked as Heathrow collections).

So in summary, I've been told by Tesla that for Tusker orders the process is as follows:

1. Customer places order with Tusker
2. Tusker awaits paperwork to be signed by customer
3. Tusker approaches employer for authority to order vehicle
4. Tusker places order with Tesla
5. (Long wait with no information provided by Tusker)
6.Tusker receive an allocation of vehicles from Tesla
7.Tusker matches customers to vehicles and requests authorisation from employer to engage with customer for collection
8. Tusker notifies customer of car matching and asks Tesla to contact customer for collection
9.....and then who knows, haven't gotten past this stage yet as had to reject December collection as too early for my needs!

So I now have an update from Stockport:

Good Morning Jon,

Great to hear you've had a test drive.

Your vehicle is on Glovis Challenge, we do not yet have an ETA; you will be scheduled for collection once the routing for the vehicle is complete; this isn't something we do from store.

Please do note that whilst you are VIN matched; the VINs are subject to change prior to collection

Kind regards,

Reactions: Jez_GB and Mr H
Can you order a car, saying you’re paying cash, and then change it to a lease later on (letting them take over the order)? I’m keen to order soon, but am undecided about buying outright.
Yep, my friend did that with a M3P. Ordered via the Tesla website, then transferred it to Leaseplan.

Glad to see you're ordering soon. At least you can't say you haven't thought it through properly. I only read 3 car forums (this one, SpeakEV and PH) and you've been deliberating this in lots of detail on all three for over half a year. I think I've spent more time reading about your car decision than I have thinking about mine :D

Reactions: Durzel
:)

I almost certainly would’ve pulled the trigger last year but found out after checking my own credit report that I wasn’t on the electoral roll at my current address (where I’d been for 6 years). Thought I might get knocked back on the finance for such an obvious anomaly so abandoned it until the new year.

Unfortunately for me the prices went up and lease companies started re-evaluating their numbers more pessimistically too.

Since then I’ve mostly just been grumbling about not being able to get close to my old quotes, and generally procrastinating as a result, hoping that Musk might randomly drop the price again.

Reactions: Flatchat
That's what they keep telling me and I've no VIN yet.

Well, I was assured an early to mid Feb delivery and doesn't look like that will happen and now seemingly bumped to early to mid march.

May be worth thinking of a contingency just in case!

It’s evidently the case that having a VIN allocated is a pretty good way of knowing you’re in line for getting a car, even if that VIN changes before you do. Without one, it’s hard to judge just how likely getting one actually is.

Even a date given by a Tesla employee can only be guesswork if there isn’t a VIN, unless they’re seeing some other information to base their estimation on? I was fairly confident in booking a collection of my car based on that, but I’d be further reassured if someone could tell me what Tesla base it on before the RN having a VIN attached to it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.