Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you check the cameras? It's all new to me and I'm not sure how/what I should be looking for when I pick mine up.
Paint, bodywork, panel alignment I can see but it's all the other features that's unknown territory.

There is an icon on the right hand side of the display that's looks like a lens, touch that and all 3 cameras used for reversing should display, if working correctly.

What’s the first 3 numbers of the Vin (after MF) of the cars with faulty cameras? - presumably these are from the same batch?

Mine is an 829xxx LR , The first batch of the refresh to hit the UK were mainly SR+ with a very small number of LR's , I believe they were 825's to 827's but could be wildly wrong . Happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable members of the community .

Sorry just re-read is yours affected? Or are you saying you think it’s 825-827xxx?

Yes , the SR+'s that arrived first seem to be the one's with issues. I'm sure there are still some filtering through, but everyone else I spoke to today at collection didn't have any issues (first batch of cars coming off the Grand Aurora seem to be good).

The chap at handover did say that, unless you have FSD it doesn't affect any features, and as such they were prioritising fixing cars with FSD first.

• Informative
Reactions: OttoR and JC100
but it looks like they continued to build them like that for weeks.

Possibly a slight exaggeration. If they make 3,000 M3’s a day and the issue was rectified at the factory in 1 day = lots of cars shipped with the issue.

Could have made a short extension harnesss. Could just communicate to the customer and ask them to book it in rather than wait for them to find the fault.

When my car (M3P) gets delivered late December it’s a lease car, and as such won’t ever belong to me. I have to sign on behalf of the lease company accepting its condition, if there are alignment issues etc I guess I have to refuse delivery?

Possibly a slight exaggeration. If they make 3,000 M3’s a day and the issue was rectified at the factory in 1 day = lots of cars shipped with the issue.

Could have made a short extension harnesss. Could just communicate to the customer and ask them to book it in rather than wait for them to find the fault.

Are you sure about that?

We know that they build the European ones at the start of the quarter because of shipping times. We also know that they're hoping to sell 150,000 cars this quarter, so that works out at around 1,600-2,000 a day for all factories combined.

We know that the earliest build date for the refreshed model is considered to be 5th October (from the parts catalogue) and that coincides with the first ones being spotted in the lot outside the factory, so it doesn't look like they pre-built any in significant numbers.

First ship left SF on 21st October, so assuming that had all of the cars completed 5th to 18th October then we could maybe say they're building 500 a day at Fremont, possibly 600 at a push - but nowhere near 3,000.

Given that cars with the same fault are being delivered now that came off the second ship, then we're talking about at least a month's production where either whoever was responsible for connecting those cameras said nothing or whoever was told about it did nothing.

Don't get me wrong, manufacturing problems happen at all manufacturers and sometimes there are genuine reasons that the defects end up with customers, but that's usually because it's a specific problem that wouldn't be caught in normal circumstances - e.g. adhesive holding the glass roof in place isn't right, so the roof can lift off at high speed - but in this case we're talking about something that should have been spotted several times during the build/shipping process.

We're all spending a lot of money on these cars, I think we have a right to call Tesla out about this, it's not nearly good enough, you wouldn't accept the same from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, etc.

Are you sure about that?

We know that they build the European ones at the start of the quarter because of shipping times. We also know that they're hoping to sell 150,000 cars this quarter, so that works out at around 1,600-2,000 a day for all factories combined.

We know that the earliest build date for the refreshed model is considered to be 5th October (from the parts catalogue) and that coincides with the first ones being spotted in the lot outside the factory, so it doesn't look like they pre-built any in significant numbers.

First ship left SF on 21st October, so assuming that had all of the cars completed 5th to 18th October then we could maybe say they're building 500 a day at Fremont, possibly 600 at a push - but nowhere near 3,000.

Given that cars with the same fault are being delivered now that came off the second ship, then we're talking about at least a month's production where either whoever was responsible for connecting those cameras said nothing or whoever was told about it did nothing.

Don't get me wrong, manufacturing problems happen at all manufacturers and sometimes there are genuine reasons that the defects end up with customers, but that's usually because it's a specific problem that wouldn't be caught in normal circumstances - e.g. adhesive holding the glass roof in place isn't right, so the roof can lift off at high speed - but in this case we're talking about something that should have been spotted several times during the build/shipping process.

We're all spending a lot of money on these cars, I think we have a right to call Tesla out about this, it's not nearly good enough, you wouldn't accept the same from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, etc.

The premise of what you’re saying is flawed though. Do you stop the entire production run or shipping process or carry on and fix it later? You fix it later. Tesla’s method for production and shipping in bulk within each quarter doesn’t allow for any other option.

The premise of what you’re saying is flawed though. Do you stop the entire production run or shipping process or carry on and fix it later? You fix it later. Tesla’s method for production and shipping in bulk within each quarter doesn’t allow for any other option.
You fix it later but at the PDI stage before the customer takes delivery. At this stage you also sort out paint, glass, panel fit issues etc. When I spoke to tesla UK they told me my car would be in the UK around the 12th December. It would be PDI'd at Southampton and then checked over at Birmingham Tesla before being delivered so should be perfect.
I suspect as my Model 3 performance has a vin of 827405 it will have the camera issue or will PDI sort it?

Last edited:
Reactions: RabC63
When my car (M3P) gets delivered late December it’s a lease car, and as such won’t ever belong to me. I have to sign on behalf of the lease company accepting its condition, if there are alignment issues etc I guess I have to refuse delivery?
Same position here and not sure what to do, if it was my own car with major issues I would refuse it so think I will take the same approach. The delivery times are 8.00am to 8.00pm so how to you check over a car in the dark especially if it's raining.
The bottom line is we shouldn't be in this position and the cars should be delivered in perfect condition.

Reactions: OttoR
Same position here and not sure what to do, if it was my own car with major issues I would refuse it so think I will take the same approach. The delivery times are 8.00am to 8.00pm so how to you check over a car in the dark especially if it's raining.
The bottom line is we shouldn't be in this position and the cars should be delivered in perfect condition.

Not if the camera is still not available, or the modification is not available. Unless buyers are happy to have a delay.

I don’t dispute the other points, just the above comment that somehow they should have fixed the camera issue during manufacture.

edit: sorry this was a response to the comment above.

Last edited:

That depends on whether the problem is as people have reported - a cable that's too short.

As it isn't happening to every car you should be able to find the source of the short cables - presumably a parts delivery that was incorrect - and make sure the "wrong" cables aren't on the production line any more.

Second, you have almost five weeks while the cars are shipping to get a supply of replacement cables (or extensions) to your delivery centres so that they can fix cars *before* customers take delivery.

At the very least you get the word out to the delivery centres so they can tell individual customers about the fault and explain to them that it will be fixed.

What you absolutely do not do in the age of social media is stay quiet and let the customers discover the problem for themselves after they get their car that they've been so excited about for months because people will complain about poor service or products much more than they will praise good service or products. Customers will talk to each other and a small problem will be blown out of proportion. See Apple's bendable phones.

Literally all they need to be doing is checking cars before delivery, then saying to customers, "You have a faulty camera, but we weren't able to fix it before your delivery. If you raise a service call through your app we'll get it sorted for you". Right now they're making themselves look like they're not on top of the problem.

Every single pending owner reading these threads is expecting to have at least one faulty camera now and not one of them has heard a thing from Tesla, nor will they.

Tesla want to re-invent the industry, this is not a good start. I'm annoyed because I want them to do well, they have so many other things right.

I agree cars without PDI & repair prior to collection is pretty poor, particularly at this price range. My point isn’t that it’s acceptable but that ‘leaving the problem a week because someone doesn’t care’ is probably a bit wide of the mark. It takes time to fix things even in a JIT supply chain. Yes, Tesla’s culture is different to the Japanese in this regard (they probably wouldn’t accept re-work as the answer).

Tesla looking to make 500,000 a year. Most of this will be M3’s. China one recently getting up to speed. It may not be 3000 a day but it’s more than 600. I did the factory tour in Fremont.

Rejecting for a camera which is an easy roadside fix seems pretty OTT. This will sound pretty cold but this is how it plays out: You’ll go to the back of the queue and wait 3 months. You’ll find something wrong with the next car too (and you will). So in reality you have to either accept Tesla and Teslai are not perfect and they will fix it (and they will) or probably best to buy a Merc/BMW/etc.

No difference in the cars.
Shipping overland by rail and then shipping from the east coast is much more expensive but allows another shipment to be delivered within the quarter.
Thanks, i expect my car to be on that ship because Telsa told me that it was delayed for delivery in Zeeburgge from 8th of december to 14th of december. And that's , if i'm not mistaking the only vessel to arrive on the 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.