Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.24.4 & Auto Pilot (not good)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or

Long boring video for those who don’t read the instructions about the proper use of AutoPilot then complain that a firmware update that was not intended to improve AutoPilot didn’t change AutoPilot.

The funny part of that is this update did make an important update to AP that he ignores completely - even though the video has footage of the improvement in action...

By far the biggest single issue I had with AP on my recent long roadtrip was the aggressive centering when it thinks the lane widens - which means that every on ramp would have the car dodging right to the center of the combined merge area and back left (except for places like Tennessee that have dashes across the merge zone.)

24.4 is much better about this, staying the course for a while when it sees a wider lane - and there's a clip of that happening in the video, but no mention of the improvement. That's a much more useful improvement to me than 15 mph extreme hairpins.

Reactions: Didgie
Great video for those that are into Auto Pilot, not improved at all with 2019.24.4 and you can see how it crosses the line into the other lane during turns, clean road, good road lines so how is this failing?

My autopilot works better now than it ever has. Not trying to make light of anyone's personal experiences, but for me this latest update, like the one before it has shown very noticeable improvements.

Tony

Reactions: Didgie
The funny part of that is this update did make an important update to AP that he ignores completely - even though the video has footage of the improvement in action...

By far the biggest single issue I had with AP on my recent long roadtrip was the aggressive centering when it thinks the lane widens - which means that every on ramp would have the car dodging right to the center of the combined merge area and back left (except for places like Tennessee that have dashes across the merge zone.)

24.4 is much better about this, staying the course for a while when it sees a wider lane - and there's a clip of that happening in the video, but no mention of the improvement. That's a much more useful improvement to me than 15 mph extreme hairpins.
Hi, did some tests on this yesterday and still getting the sharp centring. Will be testing some more today. I love AP by the way, it's absolutely the best driver assistance out there. The Audi E-Tron is miles off being this good.

Got the 2019.24.4 update while Nicki was sucking on 120 volt house juice.

Today I rebooted his/her brains and went out on the freeways. There's
a noticeable difference in personality. More like an 18 year old, less like
15 year old, or a a robovac. I keep it in Mad Max with Sport steering,
and the NOA handling of lane changes, e.g. tight lane changes at freeway
splits, is improved, with more appropriate acceleration. It also seems to
handle roads with temporary loss of markings, more "naturally".
So far so good.

Reactions: ibGeek and Didgie
To be fair- that's largely what aircraft autopilot has been for most of its own history...a pilot assist system rather than a pilot replacement system.... the name is far more accurate than most think, it's just folks don't bother to learn what the system its named after does...
Well, in a plane, you don't need to keep your hands on controls unless you're are on a critical phase of flight. Also, there is a very few limitations.
It can intercept a track, shoot an approach...etc... in a very reliable way.
I understand the complexity of the environment is not the same, but airplanes APs are far ahead of car APs.

Well, in a plane, you don't need to keep your hands on controls unless you're are on a critical phase of flight.

You don't really "need" it in a Tesla either- they only require it because that's the method they picked for checking attention.

Caddy instead uses an advanced interior camera and thus doesn't require hands on wheel when using their version.

I understand the complexity of the environment is not the same, but airplanes APs are far ahead of car APs.

After over 100 years of development? Sure. (the first was in 1912).

AP on the other hand is only about 5 years old (and only about 3 for the 2.x version)

For some reason I am not seeing the improvement that many are commenting on regarding ap with large/merge lanes. On 24.4.4 mine still dives for middle position. Still get the No.1 sign from those behind me every now and again who translate this as me actively trying to block them Formula 1 style.

You don't really "need" it in a Tesla either- they only require it because that's the method they picked for checking attention.

Caddy instead uses an advanced interior camera and thus doesn't require hands on wheel when using their version.

After over 100 years of development? Sure. (the first was in 1912).

AP on the other hand is only about 5 years old (and only about 3 for the 2.x version)
True, and actually, even after 100 years of development, it is not reliable enough to remove pilots from passengers planes...
And apparently there is a need since it is mandatory. You don't have this limitation in a plane.
let's see how fast it can be done with cars...

Last edited:
For some reason I am not seeing the improvement that many are commenting on regarding ap with large/merge lanes. On 24.4.4 mine still dives for middle position. Still get the No.1 sign from those behind me every now and again who translate this as me actively trying to block them Formula 1 style.

But if you get one of those inflatable sex-dolls for the driver's seat
people will be more forgiving, and you can take a nap in the back.
After all, considering "no improvement", how much worse could it get?

Attachments

• 181DCDC3-EFB6-4852-9118-D38055686DD7.png
    181DCDC3-EFB6-4852-9118-D38055686DD7.png
    320.3 KB · Views: 46