Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.24.4 & Auto Pilot (not good)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks good to you? Turning into on coming traffic on the turns, I guess you miss that part. Yeah keep trusting your Auto Pilot.

Fred

I mean, since unlike the guy in the video I actually restrict its use to roads it's intended for (divided, limited access, highways) I have no trouble trusting it as far as it's actually meant to be trusted (that is- as a drivers aid in specific situations, with the driver maintaining alertness and prepared to take over at any time)

I guess he missed...well...the entire explanation of when to use the system in the manual? Or the warnings when you enabled the feature on screen? Or the one that comes up every single time you turn it on?

I mean, since unlike the guy in the video I actually restrict its use to roads it's intended for (divided, limited access, highways) I have no trouble trusting it as far as it's actually meant to be trusted (that is- as a drivers aid in specific situations, with the driver maintaining alertness and prepared to take over at any time)

I guess he missed...well...the entire explanation of when to use the system in the manual? Or the warnings when you enabled the feature on screen? Or the one that comes up every single time you turn it on?
Good point, so it has its purpose.. long straight runs like on the way to Las Vegas.

Thanks

Why does every Tesla video with 50 seconds of information to prove a point result in over 12 minutes of talking..... F.F. sakes
Or 10 minutes of some chirpy moron with a low f-stop lens making him pin-sharp against the blurry background of his mother’s attic.
I have developed a visceral revulsion to the phrase “Hey what’s up guys?”

I wasn't sure where it drove into oncoming traffic in the turns. There was the first one early on, which was actually a turning lane it turned into, and the only other ones it failed on sharp turns, which its not really rated for...

All I saw was someone pushing it further than it is intended, then seemingly complaining to a degree about it failing?

A lot of these videos are just testing the "what if I just blindly keep
it in AP" scenario, and that's OK, although the naysayers will always
pounce. But that's like the way they test washers by running load
after load as fast as they can until they break, and that's NOT the
way you use a washing machine. Novices should understand
that's not the way a sane person drives a Tesla in the real world.

The golden rule I've learned about Tesla's current automation
is very simply to RIDE it, just like you ride the other controls
on your car, like the brakes, accelerator, blinkers, etc. You don't
shove the accelerator to the floor, you don't keep pumping brakes.
What it means is: know when to engage AP and when to disengage.

There's a reason the right stalk has an up tap to disengage the
automation. If you keep you hand on the wheel with your fingers
there, and touching the roller to adjust max speed, you're in control.

There are spots where the car gets no speed warning data, and
you have to dial the top speed down and back up more often than
it's fun doing. Easier to just handle those spots in manual.

In some situations I might engage and disengage AP several times
in one minute. It's nice when you can just let it ride, and I'd say I use
it 90% of the time on my drives, but always consider if in any given
segment you can do a better job in manual,
and if that's the case,
or if you have doubts, tap out of AP until conditions improve. Don't
be stubborn, don't be stupid. This is your car, the system is there
for your benefit, not to prove anything. There are well-known limits,
you won't win any prizes or get anywhere faster by pushing past
these limits.

My chief complaint is that AP/EAP does not take into account the turn radius as well as it should be able to. Between navigation maps and visual clues, it should be able to determine the maximum speed to take a turn better than I as a human can. It may not be able to judge the banking, but the other input criteria should allow it to always make these turns.

Reactions: calidreamz808
Great video for those that are into Auto Pilot, not improved at all with 2019.24.4 and you can see how it crosses the line into the other lane during turns, clean road, good road lines so how is this failing?

I am baffled by videos like this. I can't explain it. AP for me on 2019.24.4 has been amazing. My AP does not fail on roads like that.

Reactions: Fernand and Joshan
Looks good to you? Turning into on coming traffic on the turns, I guess you miss that part. Yeah keep trusting your Auto Pilot.

Fred

use it where it's intended to be used, and you'll be ok.

i haven't seen the memo where we've been cleared for twisty mountain roads yet. besides....that's where I'd want to drive my car manually. it's more fun that way.

Good point, so it has its purpose.. long straight runs like on the way to Las Vegas.

Thanks

You could always trade yours in and see how good Cadillac's super cruise is. (hint: not as good as EAP)

it can handle some decent curves, it does on and off ramps. but twisty mountain roads on undivided highways isn't quite there yet. stop looking for things to complain about and enjoy the car.

Just because it’s marketing name is Autopilot does not make it anything more than a “lane tracking” gimmick (a gimmick because it works in most straightforward scenarios). As others are pointing out, use it where it’s intended. We are in an evolutionary phase of autonomous driving. This is just the start. Every 10 or so years it’ll probably get a lot better.