Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not following what you’re asking for here.
Actual 360º birds eye video stitched from the cameras. A lot like many cars are now doing for parking but a lot more advanced.

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 6.06.23 PM.png

Reactions: dlinsley
Another post asking for efforts to be put on something other than games. OMG.

They will most likely be separate departments, and separate programmers.

Do you think it’s possible for a company to focus efforts on two initiatives at the same time. ???

Of course I do... Do you think it’s possible for a company to assign more resources/budget (more people or dollars) to non games (make this more of a priority) than to the game generating department (less people and money there)??? If so, the updates may contain more substance (AP, FSD, bug fixes, etc). That was my point made two pages ago that you quoted. :)

Reactions: Perry
You said that they update the AP NN(s) with every weekly version increase. I don’t think you could know that. I suspect they have a validation process that updated models go through, and that they choose to submit an updated one to their development repo when they have one ready which passes. They could also choose to do this in a revision in the release branch.

My point was it’s reasonably to say that any update might have AP / NN updates, and that new major versions are more likely to, but there’s probably no 1:1 relationship between models and weeks/versions as you suggested.

OK... but I do.

The way it actually works is like this: (I am using YOU as an example so please use common sense)

You are driving a Tesla Model 3 in Autopilot. Your car has curb detection running in shadow mode. It is also collecting images of cars with trailers on 2 lane highways in the background. And at a specific turn you override Autopilot because your not happy with the distance between you and another car.

Now all of that data gets sent to Tesla.

Tesla's AP engineers will first run validations on all of that data. First to see if the AP intervention was due to a problem or bad driving habits and secondly to see if the corrective measures taken improve safety or if there was a better way to handle the scenario.
They also parse any data gleaned from the shadow mode operations or special requests.

Once validations are complete, the data goes in to an internal build where it is further validated in an actual vehicle. This is done first by employees, then by beta testers. From there the build is tweaked until the revision (the .x at the end of the build number) gets final validation and is released to a limited group, then the masses.

Now if you were the only driver on the road, I could see this sort of update happening once or twice a year. But tens of thousands if not more hours of data are being validated at a time and the validation process never stops so every week there is new data that is ready to be submitted to a build.

THAT IS HOW IT WORKS!

Major releases such as the change from V9 to V10 add major improvements and features. Like GUI Improvements, Text Messaging, Advanced Summon... Those happen once.. maybe twice a year. More likely just once a year though.

OK... but I do.

The way it actually works is like this:
[...]
THAT IS HOW IT WORKS!

I think we are all guessing how it works. Does anyone actually work at Tesla? In the videos I only see robots(;-). I imagine that Tesla software engineers read these forums for entertainment. I bet they get a lot of lunchroom jokes for minimal effort.

It seems like the weekly updates behave better in some Autopilot edge cases. They are not just games. Note that there are thousands of Linux games that are available for the Tesla with modest updates. It’s not a lot of effort, so I think the games will continue as a distraction for supercharging and free marketing stories.

The "dancing cars" is definitely a bug IMO since the cars are not supposed to jiggle like that. It would seem like an easy bug to fix though. You know the cars are in the adjacent lane so you know their direction of travel, so just automatically snap the cars to face the direction of travel.

I know the FSD demo seemed to show more details on the driver display but I do hope that when FSD is released that the driver display will show more detail. I love what Waymo shows. I wish we could get something more like this:

NEWS_181229990_V3_0_DIIJANPFKFZN.jpg

That's a beautiful bird'd eye view. But informative as it is,
for someone checking on what is happening, I'm not sure
it's ideal as real time info while you're driving and glancing
at the display. I'd have to try it under real driving conditions.

As to the "dancing cars" I've only seen it when stopped,
and since it would seem easy to just freeze the rendered
vehicles, there must be something more to this, and
since we don't know what that is, I can't see why anyone
would give a hoot.

That's a beautiful bird'd eye view. But informative as it is,
for someone checking on what is happening, I'm not sure
it's ideal as real time info while you're driving and glancing
at the display. I'd have to try it under real driving conditions.

Well, I am sure Tesla would keep the current point of view of behind the car looking forward. But I think showing roads and intersections in more detail like in the Waymo screen would be useful. Based on the FSD demo, it looks like Tesla will do something like that so I really look forward to seeing what we get. I do think that Tesla could make the current driver display sharper, clearer and more detailed. It is one thing I like a lot about the Waymo screen is how sharp and detailed it is. Just seeing lane lines and cars sometimes "float" and "dance" is not ideal IMO.

Of course I do... Do you think it’s possible for a company to assign more resources/budget (more people or dollars) to non games (make this more of a priority) than to the game generating department (less people and money there)??? If so, the updates may contain more substance (AP, FSD, bug fixes, etc). That was my point made two pages ago that you quoted. :)
More resources on a project does not necessarily equate to better or faster performance. I find all these complaints about putting some minimal resources to making games amusing.

Those dancing cars are a product of the distortion/pixelation we see from from the cameras (as seen in the dashcam/sentry mode saves). The car is using the camera's vision to detect other cars. Both the distortion and dancing cars seems to happen primarily when the car is not moving.