Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.5 Charger Handle Won't Unlock Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since installing 2019.8.5 a few days ago, I haven't been able to open the charger port door with the handle of either of the two chargers that I have (on my Model X; no issues with my Model S on the same release). It seems like an odd coincidence. The charger port will open from the MCU charging dialog.

The port/door won't unlock and open with the charger handle button even if the car is fully awakened and powered up. Also tried a reboot with no change.

If I force open the door, the charger remains locked.

Anybody else seeing this issue?

I have the same issue since the update. Hopefully the next update will fix it.

Since installing 2019.8.5 a few days ago, I haven't been able to open the charger port door with the handle of either of the two chargers that I have (on my Model X; no issues with my Model S on the same release). It seems like an odd coincidence. The charger port will open from the MCU charging dialog.

The port/door won't unlock and open with the charger handle button even if the car is fully awakened and powered up. Also tried a reboot with no change.

If I force open the door, the charger remains locked.

Anybody else seeing this issue?

Same issue here. Actually had Tesla chat support on the line for another topic and he had me run through the usual "power down", "reboot", etc... scenarios. Didn't fix it.

24h later though, I tried it again and it worked. Not sure if the car did something overnight or not, but it works now.

Note that I also had the problem on 8.3. 8.4 then fixed it. Then I got 8.5 and it returned.

My charge port door wouldn't open for the button on 8.4, but only once. It worked after updating to 8.4 and prior to updating to 8.5, but it wouldn't work after several tries one time for one charger; I ultimately opened the door from the MCU that one time.

OK, I won't worry about it. Another detail, which MIGHT have been a related trigger, is that I had to use a ChargePoint charger, which always requires opening the door via menu, and it might have become unresponsive to Tesla charger handle buttons after that.

OK, I won't worry about it. Another detail, which MIGHT have been a related trigger, is that I had to use a ChargePoint charger, which always requires opening the door via menu, and it might have become unresponsive to Tesla charger handle buttons after that.

Don’t worry, that didn’t cause it. I’ve never charged at anything but Tesla superchargers and my home Tesla HPWC. I got this same door issue on 2019.8.3 and it still persists on 2019.8.5.

Bad news guys, I just got the 2019.8.6 and the double button on the Tesla home charger no longer worked either! :(. I have a MX 90D HW2

Oh and for whom may wonder what’s new in 8.6, it had the same exact release notes as 8.5... so no clue what is new.

Bad news guys, I just got the 2019.8.6 and the double button on the Tesla home charger no longer worked either! :(. I have a MX 90D HW2

Oh and for whom may wonder what’s new in 8.6, it had the same exact release notes as 8.5... so no clue what is new.

I just installed 8.6 as well and I'm not seeing any differences either. Maybe it fixed the reboot issue. I had zero prior to 8.5 and then several after. I will be grateful if this minor update resolved that issue.

Just installed the latest and port door working with HPWC button.
Make sure you scroll-wheel main screen & cluster reset after updating.
As Ramiel said above, same release notes.

old |v2019.8.5|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.8.6|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

I had the same experience on my car. I also did not link it to 2019.8.5. Never the less, my mobile adapter will open the charge port again after last nights update to 2019.8.6. Thinking back on it, I had a 100% failure rate with 2019.8.5