Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have two Model 3’s. One is on 8.5 and the other is stuck on 5.15. Both are in the same garage and connected to the same Wifi network. Is there any particular reason why Tesla is keeping one of our cars so far back on versions?
2019.5.15 isn’t that old, it was ‘current’ a few weeks ago. Most cars are off of it, though, according to TeslaFi. You can try one thing before calling Tesla to have them check the car (this is what they had me do once).

In the Service menu, power down the car, don’t touch anything, wait five minutes and then open a door and step on the brake to wake fhe car up.

That ‘reboot’ is a bit more complete than the scroll wheel one and Tesla will have you do it anyway. Then you can wait a day or so to see if that cleared anything stuck and then call national support and have them check the car to see if something more drastic is needed at a service center.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
Sorry to burst your balloon but you definitely won’t consistently get updates as soon as they come out no matter what settings you put on your wifi. They roll out in batches. I assume you haven’t had the car long or else you would know better.

I hope this isn’t a scam to get hits on a YouTube posting, though it looks like it is. I’ll report you to mods just in case.

No need to go to those lengths. I’m an active member on here just like you. I took the time to make what felt was a useful video. Sure, the clicks would be nice, but the point is, as I state in the video, I’m not sure if it works 100%. I need some help and validation. And why not support other fellow Tesla owners? I subscribe to every “small guy” YouTube channel to add some support to our community. This “trick” seemed to work for me, so I’m definitely sharing it. Plus, it’s relevant to the topic, so what’s the harm?

FWIW, the clip serves to show that if the WiFi connection is faulty, then updates for your car, even if available, might not come through. I happen to know that my flavor of WiFi router is buggy (Cisco E... some number). It’s notorious for showing my devices being connected but they can’t communicate. I work around it by logging into it and toggling IP isolation mode on then off again. Releasing and renewing an IP on a device fixes it too, but things like printers and Tesla’s don’t have such a function. Therefore, forgetting and restablishing a connection to WiFi is the way to do it. Hard reboot technically won’t expire the IP lease.

Anyway, no need to report this. I say click if you’re interested, skip if you’re not. But keep airing your opinions, that’s what this forum is about.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I also have a strong Wifi connection in my garage. I've tried rebooting, powering off, disconnecting and reconnecting Wifi...nothing. Our other Model 3 gets an update the first day it's released every time. It's quite frustrating. I had Tesla push out an update to me last week but all I got was an upgrade from 5.14 to 5.15.

No need to go to those lengths. I’m an active member on here just like you. I took the time to make what felt was a useful video. Sure, the clicks would be nice, but the point is, as I state in the video, I’m not sure if it works 100%. I need some help and validation. And why not support other fellow Tesla owners? I subscribe to every “small guy” YouTube channel to add some support to our community. This “trick” seemed to work for me, so I’m definitely sharing it. Plus, it’s relevant to the topic, so what’s the harm?

FWIW, the clip serves to show that if the WiFi connection is faulty, then updates for your car, even if available, might not come through. I happen to know that my flavor of WiFi router is buggy (Cisco E... some number). It’s notorious for showing my devices being connected but they can’t communicate. I work around it by logging into it and toggling IP isolation mode on then off again. Releasing and renewing an IP on a device fixes it too, but things like printers and Tesla’s don’t have such a function. Therefore, forgetting and restablishing a connection to WiFi is the way to do it. Hard reboot technically won’t expire the IP lease.

Anyway, no need to report this. I say click if you’re interested, skip if you’re not. But keep airing your opinions, that’s what this forum is about.

You have a strange definition of "active". ;)

2019.5.15 isn’t that old, it was ‘current’ a few weeks ago. Most cars are off of it, though, according to TeslaFi. You can try one thing before calling Tesla to have them check the car (this is what they had me do once).

In the Service menu, power down the car, don’t touch anything, wait five minutes and then open a door and step on the brake to wake fhe car up.

That ‘reboot’ is a bit more complete than the scroll wheel one and Tesla will have you do it anyway. Then you can wait a day or so to see if that cleared anything stuck and then call national support and have them check the car to see if something more drastic is needed at a service center.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve tried this before but I went ahead and tried it again this morning. I don’t understand what Power Off is doing. I hit the Power off button and it tells me that I need to tap on the brake to power the car back on. But then I open the door to exit the car and the screen comes right back on and the music begins playing again. Is that how it is supposed to work?

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve tried this before but I went ahead and tried it again this morning. I don’t understand what Power Off is doing. I hit the Power off button and it tells me that I need to tap on the brake to power the car back on. But then I open the door to exit the car and the screen comes right back on and the music begins playing again. Is that how it is supposed to work?
Tesla support said to wait a full 3 minutes before doing any actions to let the car fully shut down.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
At my SC, the tech officially mentioned the following, "Tesla does release the software updates in batches. The how is not known to anyone to determine. If Tesla servers did try to make several attempts to push the OTA and don't download successfully or connect to your car, it will block it temporarily."

You can also chat with reps online and ask if your car is either temporarily blocked from receiving updates or staged. hope this helps.