Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I WAS going to cancel my P3D order and wait to find a 2019 (see previous posts). My IDA checked and there was not a single 2019 P3D available anywhere in the US. He would have to order one off the line. I checked with my local rep (Tesla store), as I knew he was a proven, reliable source for all things Tesla. He informed me the reason there isn’t any 2019’s available, is because only the other Model 3’s have been built so far this year, and next month would see production switch to European and Canadian spec cars, including right hand drive. P3D wouldn’t pick back up until March at the earliest, but even then couldn’t say for sure. Anyway, I said screw it and kept my current VIN for delivery next week. Just wanted to update anybody thinking of a 2019 P3D.

Canadian spec cars? What’s the difference between Canadian and US? Usually only MPH vs KM/HR and that’s software in this car?

He informed me the reason there isn’t any 2019’s available, is because only the other Model 3’s have been built so far this year, and next month would see production switch to European and Canadian spec cars, including right hand drive. P3D wouldn’t pick back up until March at the earliest, but even then couldn’t say for sure.

I thought EU versions were already well underway? Unless I misunderstand.

Fascinating website. Someone is going through a lot of trouble to mine that data and put it on a website like that. I'm not sure what the gain in doing so is, but on a volume car like the Model 3 it's constant work.

I've done a bit of this on a much smaller scale and keeping up with it could be a full time job. It doesn't pay well enough to justify!

Not to belabor the point but there's a difference between registering a VIN and being able to legally sell it. Like you, I would expect they would have been out in front of it. The current situation being what it is, it just got me to thinking.

MY2019 owners might be too small a sample size yet for someone to find this thread, but if anyone is out there I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks! As to the "gain" in doing this, there's a lot of useful information in the VINs (e.g. NA/International, RWD/AWD). Additionally, the volume and frequency of batches have been quite predictive of production. It's more of a part-time job than a full-time job ;)

I assume (s)he has a script that is just polling the site and reading the response. At least I hope so, otherwise, you're right, that's a huge amount of work.
That's correct. It's mostly automated, although there is some manual effort involved (which has only increased as the ramp has progressed). Most of the leg work was in writing the code.