Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping they allow us eventually to go 5–15 mph above speed limit and this is just for now to test further.

We are marching down the road to Full Self Driving. A self driving car has to obey all the laws, including speed limits.

I wouldn’t bet on having the car respond to traffic lights automatically and speed at the same time.

Reactions: EVortex and MP3Mike
Release Notes

Attachments

• 2020.12.6 Release Notes 1.jpg
    2020.12.6 Release Notes 1.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 119
Because with the current state of speed limits and typical driving speeds, most folks probably wouldn’t use it if they were limited to the speed limit - and it would add risk in some places as faster cars tried to dodge.

I would argue that same logic applies (though perhaps to a lesser extent) on major (non-freeway) roads also. Pretty much everyone goes about 5 mph (or more) above the posted limits here in the PNW. A Tesla trolling along at spot on (say) 30mph is going to turn into a "hated car" fast if its sticking to the exact limit.

Also, unlike a freeway, you can't easily pass someone on most major roads. While I get where Tesla are coming from, a car going along at posted speed is likely to trigger unsafe passing from other cars, which is overall probably MORE dangerous that going +5 over the limit.

I would argue that same logic applies (though perhaps to a lesser extent) on major (non-freeway) roads also. Pretty much everyone goes about 5 mph (or more) above the posted limits here in the PNW. A Tesla trolling along at spot on (say) 30mph is going to turn into a "hated car" fast if its sticking to the exact limit.

Also, unlike a freeway, you can't easily pass someone on most major roads. While I get where Tesla are coming from, a car going along at posted speed is likely to trigger unsafe passing from other cars, which is overall probably MORE dangerous that going +5 over the limit.

Agreed. If you go 35 mph (speed limit) on some major roads here, you’ll get honked at and cursed out. This will create road rage situations.

Agreed. If you go 35 mph (speed limit) on some major roads here, you’ll get honked at and cursed out. This will create road rage situations.

That's my big gripe of using autopilot on local streets, sometimes the speed limit isn't even accurate either (ex. car showing 35mph limit when the actual speed limit is 45mph), forcing the car to go lower the speed limit on the road.

I wish we can adjust the speed limit to whatever we want on local streets, with a reasonable maximum speed that we can adjust to something like 55-60mph.

Reactions: PhilDavid and Cowby