Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.20.5 has improvements to GPS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a quick drive today. On this update I’ve noticed better stop light color detection range. I’m referring to the traffic light icon alert that pops up for an upcoming stop. Previously it wouldn’t detect light color until around 300ft or so. It’s now showing that it knows what color it is right around the 5-600ft range alert.
Does it still brake too late and then too abruptly shortly before the stop line if you don't cancel the stopping at a light or stop sign? That (and the super-slow acceleration from a stop and the exact speed limit enforcement) make this feature pretty much unusable for me. Unsurprisingly I didn't notice any improvement in 2020.16.3 when I tried it yesterday.

My 2016 S70D has been at the SC since Wednesday for a flakey GPS issue. Several weeks ago the GPS would periodically start drifting to the left of where I was actually driving, sometimes by a block or two and sometimes up to 20 miles. After a few hours or as much as a day later it would reset. The SC looked at the antenna but found no problem. Today they turned data over to engineering. I’m hoping this update will fix the problem.

Has anyone else seen this type of flakiness with GPS in and older S or X?

I often have issues where my positioning on the map stays frozen at my last position I’m parked at. Sometimes it doesn’t change until several drives within or day or may take a couple of days to actually start working. This has been frustrating.

It’s been happening to me since September of 2018. I’ve had the SC look at it on perhaps 5-6 occasions and it has yet to be fixed. This has been the one thing I hate about my Model 3

My 2016 S70D has been at the SC since Wednesday for a flakey GPS issue. Several weeks ago the GPS would periodically start drifting to the left of where I was actually driving, sometimes by a block or two and sometimes up to 20 miles. After a few hours or as much as a day later it would reset. The SC looked at the antenna but found no problem. Today they turned data over to engineering. I’m hoping this update will fix the problem.

Our 2015 85D had similar-sounding issues with the GPS, which were eventually (1 mobile and 4 SC visits) diagnosed to be a problem with... the antenna. The (only?) fix is to replace the rear window (done, under warranty), which is apparently integral to that antenna. The fix has held for 8 months.
There must be service bulletins dealing with this issue. Ask them to consult with the Burlingame Service Center, where ours was repaired in Nov 2019. Expect to make a few visits before they bite the rear window bullet and replace it. We showed video of the app displaying the dysfunction to one SC and all they did (coincidentally I had turned on the app at just the right time) was drive around the block, see it not misbehaving, (see no evil, hear no...) and just give it back. That was NOT impressive, at least in any positive way.

At more than one point during the months that the GPS was dysfunctional I wondered how self-drivers would act when the car is going 70 on 280 but the GPS senses/indicates it's on the 35 mph frontage road next to 101 (approx 4 miles away).

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod

No. I have almost the identical car, except 2015 (S70D)

Here is partial screenshot of release notes for 2020.20.5:

Screen_Shot_2020-06-05_at_7.21.39_PM_1024x1024.png

"Based on the information from the release notes and the fact that the update is seemingly being rolled out to older vehicles, it appears that 2020.20.5 is designed to level out the performance of Tesla’s fleet, at least to some degree. GPS improvements may seem pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but they go a long way in contributing to a vehicle’s key functions, such as navigation.

This is especially true when one considers that navigation is key to the rollout of the company’s Full Self-Driving suite. Tesla is currently pushing hard to roll out more features for its FSD suite, which would put the system closer to a feature-complete version. CEO Elon Musk is optimistic about FSD, previously stating that its feature-complete iteration is poised to be released in the near future."
Tesla Rolls Out GPS Update Improvements In 2020.20.5 OTA Update

For the time being (until AI gets better) accurate GPS will help Tesla better detect failures and teach it's AI. I doubt that navigation will benefit as Tesla's GPS was already accurate enough for that. In addition, Tesla also said that they are not going to rely on centimeter level maps unlike other companies.

I often have issues where my positioning on the map stays frozen at my last position I’m parked at. Sometimes it doesn’t change until several drives within or day or may take a couple of days to actually start working. This has been frustrating.

It’s been happening to me since September of 2018. I’ve had the SC look at it on perhaps 5-6 occasions and it has yet to be fixed. This has been the one thing I hate about my Model 3

Ours froze about 4 times during the last couple of months. The drifting was much more frequent.

Today, after sending data to engineering, the SC determined that the "gyro board" needs to be replaced. They had already done something with the antenna but apparently determined that it didn't fix the problem.

Curious about how GPS and gyroscopes work together, I found this article: Learn The Hidden Secret of Autonomous Car Navigation & Guidance: IMUs that explains that the GPS may provide location only once or twice a second, and at highway speeds this is not often enough, so gyroscopes, etc. are used to estimate the location move often. This also explains how the location of the car continues to update in a tunnel, for example.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
Ours froze about 4 times during the last couple of months. The drifting was much more frequent.

Today, after sending data to engineering, the SC determined that the "gyro board" needs to be replaced. They had already done something with the antenna but apparently determined that it didn't fix the problem.

Curious about how GPS and gyroscopes work together, I found this article: Learn The Hidden Secret of Autonomous Car Navigation & Guidance: IMUs that explains that the GPS may provide location only once or twice a second, and at highway speeds this is not often enough, so gyroscopes, etc. are used to estimate the location move often. This also explains how the location of the car continues to update in a tunnel, for example.

Thank you. This sounds like something to ask the SC. They replaced my antenna. I thought that would've worked since it went about 5 days straight without having issues and then the issues hit.

I'm going to take a wild guess, but when I hear 'calibration' I think 'wheel ticks'. meaning, dead reckoning.

has tesla ever had that or advertised/bragged about it? its a feature on some gps chipsets and its quite complex, to say the least (to design for and implement).

in short, it helps extrapolate when you lose gps, signal-wise. using the steering angle, wheel tick counter (revolution counter) and some other things (gyros) you can fill in missing data when gps 'goes away'. and it does go away, all the time (but we never see it directly, since software does not report it to the user unless its gone for a long time).

Reactions: APotatoGod
even worse, it has screwed up my YouTube. Anybody else can’t sign in? Google says it won’t let me because it has detected an insecure browser.

I had this same issue several months ago. I googled the problem and found a fix. If you log in to your google account using the web browser, then YouTube will work again.

Good Luck,

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: Puddles

"Based on the information from the release notes and the fact that the update is seemingly being rolled out to older vehicles, it appears that 2020.20.5 is designed to level out the performance of Tesla’s fleet, at least to some degree. GPS improvements may seem pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but they go a long way in contributing to a vehicle’s key functions, such as navigation.

This is especially true when one considers that navigation is key to the rollout of the company’s Full Self-Driving suite. Tesla is currently pushing hard to roll out more features for its FSD suite, which would put the system closer to a feature-complete version. CEO Elon Musk is optimistic about FSD, previously stating that its feature-complete iteration is poised to be released in the near future."

Hello this is my first time with this so hopefully I am going this correctly. I am having a problem with sentry mode at home. I excluded sentry mode at home and work but it still stays on. Tesla said they new about this issue and there is a firmware fix coming. I am hoping the GPS update will fix it. I now have to turn sentry mode on and off manually. Has anyone else heard of this problem?

Hello this is my first time with this so hopefully I am going this correctly. I am having a problem with sentry mode at home. I excluded sentry mode at home and work but it still stays on. Tesla said they new about this issue and there is a firmware fix coming. I am hoping the GPS update will fix it. I now have to turn sentry mode on and off manually. Has anyone else heard of this problem?

Welcome to this forum!

I personally never use sentry mode so I can't really help you. But if Tesla says that a fix is coming, then be patient and wait for the fix. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon.

Welcome to this forum!

I personally never use sentry mode so I can't really help you. But if Tesla says that a fix is coming, then be patient and wait for the fix. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon.

I've been waiting for a fix with my cars positioning on the map not moving for almost 2 years. They've said in the next one or two updates. Many updates over the past 2 years and still the same problem.

I've had frequent navigation issues on my late 2018 MX. Mostly happens in the first 10-15 minutes of driving and only really noticeable when using navigation.

Car would be offset from the road I'm on by about 60 feet or so for minutes at a time. This would cause rerouting onto the perpendicular and parallel roads. When using NOA it would cause my speed to drop suddenly when the car thought I was not on the highway but on the adjacent city road.

Good news is that I've driven two days since the update and the car is spot on the right location at all times. I hope this is resolved! It's been a pain owning a $100K+ car that has worse GPS than my $400 phone. If it's fixed, major bonuses to the engineers that did the work!