Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.36.3.1 Release notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After testing, I can say with very high certainty that speed limit signs are just ignored on none 'local roads', motorways.

There's a super obvious and huge 50 sign near me towards where a motorway ends and it's totally ignored, but the tiny 40 signs after leaving the highway, and an identical 50 sign are registered perfectly.

I think like I said in my original post, they're probably waiting to ensure the car is detecting signs correctly before enabling it on motorways, would make a lot of sense. :)

Is your car speed changing in respect of speed limit changes?

Outside of motorways, it'll slow down if the speed limit lowers, but as it did before, it won't speed up automatically unless you tap somewhere on the speedometer. :)

Definitely due to speed signs? Or something else like vehicle in front, fleet speed or corners (the latter seems to be part of fleet speed)?

I and many others have never had the vehicle slow except when it can be explained by one of the above. Its even in the manual that it doesn't change for speed limits. However some, like yourself, have suggested that it is speed limit aware. So its all a bit of a mystery.

upload_2020-9-10_20-30-12.png

Definitely due to speed signs? Or something else like vehicle in front, fleet speed or corners (the latter seems to be part of fleet speed)?

I and many others have never had the vehicle slow except when it can be explained by one of the above. Its even in the manual that it doesn't change for speed limits. However some, like yourself, have suggested that it is speed limit aware. So its all a bit of a mystery.

View attachment 586779

100% due to speed signs, the max speed limit is changed as the car passes the sign, causing it so suddenly brake to match the new speed limit. :)

Say you're in a national speed limit and set to 65 (relative +5 setting), hitting a 30 lowers it to 35 and the car rather quickly slows down. I'm not sure if it slows down as it approaches the sign however!

Like I said, it lowers the speed limit, but doesn't raise it.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Got a nice couple of hundred miles on my MS R LR FSD on 36.10

The first 100 or so seemed really great. Many improvements imo. Speed adjustment before hazards, speed limits, (yes, vehicle adjusts down with message advising same but not back up. I have seen this previously though so could still be based on map data but suspect not.)

After passing several trucks with the car only once flinching as though about to throw a quick fantom brake - but then thinking better of it - I was actually enjoying AP / FSD for a while.

Then came the curtain sided artic and a 50% brake application.

City driving was pretty good and the car even slowed enough on its own to take a roundabout. A few double to single lane changes gave the usual indecisive control but AP did hang in there and we made it.

Traffic lights worked as advertised, although I noticed some small repeater lights for cyclists showing up incorrectly as additional full sized lights further away. Obviously a perspective issue seeing 2D and trying to convert to 3D.

Speed limits signs worked most (all) the time I guess, but what was very confusing was that as an A Road changes from single to dual carriageway, it seemed sign recognition also turned off (for some dual carriageway sections) then back on when the road went back to single. Speed limits on off-ramps also seemed to be ignored, and generally I was left sure of only one thing.... that on motorways, all signs are ignored.

At the end of the journey, general impression was that at least this update does attempt to deliver something new and useful, but that probably fantom braking is still the same as usual. Also, having the speed of the car always drop to the posted limit drives other drivers crazy!

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS
I finally got to play with 36.10 on my S. 15 country miles on A roads to shops then back. Outbound the thing was excellent... showed me all but one jucntion, adjusted speed through a roadworks and then back, recognised tremporary and permenant traffic lights and even repeater speed signs half hidden in the hedge. On the way back it failed to see any of the same traffic lights even with a soft reset but continued to spot speed signs. it's a start...

Reactions: MrBadger
Did a long journey with 36.10 today.

car did automatically slow down and speed up again on passing speed signs on normal roads.

national speed limit signs all recognised- including one which was very obscured - pleasantly surprised.

Traffic light recognition all good... it did get a little confused in a tunnel though with overhead green arrow lights, momentary flashed for upcoming traffic light control, then realised it wasn’t and ignored them.

I’ve only had the car a few weeks, but navigate on autopilot seemed to pre-empt lane changes better than before, much more natural.... did not need to slow down for any lane changes today. Still gets confused when passing lorries however.

ohh, and had a phantom breaking event.... they’re still there!

Reactions: timpharrison
I have a 2016 pre-facelift HW1 AP1 model s, and I don’t seem to have the dynamic break lights.

I’ve read somewhere that it needs HW2 or above to have it work.

You probably already have them - they have been on Euro spec cars for ages. I think they may even be a legal requirement, if not, certainly very common. My 2015 spec eurobox has them - nothing special - just hazards flashing under very heavy braking and staying on after emergency stop. I don't think they are allowed in USA and less common outside Europe which is probably why its notable update.