Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.40.3 Priority Bluetooth Device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.40.3 supposedly introduced a Priority Bluetooth Device option.

Installed today and set up to make my phone the priority device.

Tested by walking to my car with my partner and their phone and STILL their phone connects to my car not my phone. The phone defaults to their profile.

Both iPhone 11’s running exactly the same software.

My interpretation (from one and only read of release notes) of priority device seems to differ from many others interpretation.

I interpret it as the bluetooth connection to the phone (ie for calls and audio) gets set to the priority device in the current profile. Presently, the phone connection can sticky between driver changes so the phone connection may not be the drivers phone but another passenger in the vehicle. The functionality as I see it will link to the drivers phone.

This seems to match your "The phone defaults to their profile." if their profile is the current profile.

We don't use auto profile switching and just do it manually from the screen if the driver changes so if the functionality does work as I interpret, its a welcome change.

Reactions: Transformer
My interpretation (from one and only read of release notes) of priority device seems to differ from many others interpretation.

I interpret it as the bluetooth connection to the phone (ie for calls and audio) gets set to the priority device in the current profile. Presently, the phone connection can sticky between driver changes so the phone connection may not be the drivers phone but another passenger in the vehicle. The functionality as I see it will link to the drivers phone.

This seems to match your "The phone defaults to their profile." if their profile is the current profile.

We don't use auto profile switching and just do it manually from the screen if the driver changes so if the functionality does work as I interpret, its a welcome change.
The release notes state: “your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the selected profile.”

My car is selected to profile A and the priority device is associated with profile A. I walk out to my car with iPhone A and B and the car immediately connects to B and changes the profile to B. It a small but very irritating problem.

• Informative
I have easy entry set. I set up priority to my phone. For whatever reason on my second journey out, I found myself driving in the easy entry position!

on TACC I still find that driving past parked cars there is the same braking and hesitation despite being well away. No improvement there

The release notes state: “your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the selected profile.”

I thought that note meant, "The current Bluetooth device will be the one the car attempts to connect to first to auto-select a driver profile and to set up Bluetooth calls and streaming."

Thus when you and your partner walk up to the car together (or you walk up to the car and their phone is in range in the house), the preferred phone would determine the driver profile -- but it proves not to work that way.

But now I see another interpretation from this thread, "When anything selects a driver profile, the car will first try to connect to that profile's preferred Bluetooth device for Bluetooth calls and streaming."

That has utility but doesn't address the more significant problem that @Pagemakers and I have.

Aha! In the Controls > Locks screen, each lock can select a profile or none. (Tap its person icon to switch to the current profile or to none.) My partner's phone was set to her profile while mine was set to none, which presumably leaves it set to the current profile, which is usually mine.

SO I changed those. Now my phone key is set to my profile and hers is set to none. If that works I'll try setting hers back.

your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the selected profile
The key phrase here appears to be 'attempt'. Bluetooth connection seems to me to be pretty flaky at best. At least once a week, I have to either toggle bluetooth, 'forget' and reinitialise my phone or do a reboot of the car to use my phone for access or make and receive calls.

• Informative