Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.8.1 Another useless update for most of us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay yes and yes. The increments are so tiny and mostly fixes. Why do we still have to remove the USB to view the Sentry files? This is done by design and letting us see those would be a far better "minor" improvement. These are all nothing but bug fixes and minor improvements, many of which do not even apply to most. Meanwhile the car still won't stop at a light - something we all know it can do.

Nothing significant for the FSD fleet since late 2019.

This release takes the new visualizations global. So certainly very significant for the rest of the world.

Keep in mind there is a major rewrite underway to optimize for HW3, and move labeling to 3D video based from single frame analysis. This upgrade will bring updates much faster, as the NN takes more of the load. I don’t think we will see the first version of that until after the Tesla Talk late April. This will be the big one to watch for IMO.

Okay yes and yes. The increments are so tiny and mostly fixes. Why do we still have to remove the USB to view the Sentry files? This is done by design and letting us see those would be a far better "minor" improvement. These are all nothing but bug fixes and minor improvements, many of which do not even apply to most. Meanwhile the car still won't stop at a light - something we all know it can do.

Nothing significant for the FSD fleet since late 2019.

I hear your frustration and have in fact just made a video explaining what Tesla has been up to and why no "Major" software updates in 2020 so far specifically for FSD. Not gonna post it here but click the link in my sig if interested.

That said, its important to know that Dashcam and Sentry mode were both spur of the moment feature requests that Elon made the devs put in last minute, thats why the initial implementation was so wonky and why the thought of a native video player hasn't been implemented. To their credit they've done a great job multitasking the camers and computers to conduct AP/FSD and Record.

In terms of FSD they are planning either a major singular release or incremental releases towards the end of this month, the heavy lifting is almost complete from what I hear in terms of the rewriting of the code they are doing. Once done and the fleet has HW3 installed they are gonna "blow our minds" quote from insider so stay tuned.;)

One of the longest awaited updates ever with absolutely NOTHING of value unless you have a PM motor or a 2020 model. Really Tesla? Focusing on regen to claim a questionable few extra miles? That is the big news? Where is the FSD?

I just finished the 2020.8.1 update in my S. Now my battery mileage indicator says 999 all the time. In the car and on the app. Anyone else have this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200305-183218_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20200305-183218_Tesla.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
This release takes the new visualizations global. So certainly very significant for the rest of the world.

Keep in mind there is a major rewrite underway to optimize for HW3, and move labeling to 3D video based from single frame analysis. This upgrade will bring updates much faster, as the NN takes more of the load. I don’t think we will see the first version of that until after the Tesla Talk late April. This will be the big one to watch for IMO.
This.
They seem to release big updates each year right around October (V9, V10) so, 'after April' may be WELL after. Also agreed that once the neural net learning process becomes much more automated (the "dojo" training supercomputer) can simply fast-forward and rewind these 3d VR videos to check accuracy of labeling and automatically learn-and-churn, the updates will be much more significant with much faster turn-around.

Reactions: Kmartyn
Allowing exFAT as a USB stick format is very useful improvement to people who just want to buy a USB stick and use it.
Oh! I am a new owner and just went through the inconvenience of having to download a 3rd-party app to FAT32 format my 128Gb microUSB for the dashcam. Definitely a good thing if they can use exFAT. Do I look for 2020.8.1? Is it an "advanced" or normal. Should I switch to advanced?

PS OP needs to get a life :)

I'm glad to see them working on cleaning things up rather than more features that are never quite complete.

Who knows what they are preparing for under the hood.

They could be doing huge refactors and gradually switching over to Native HW3 in preparation for FSD.

Just because there is no eye candy don't assume it's not significant.

I think the longer they go with no big splash the larger the splash might be down the line.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Oh! I am a new owner and just went through the inconvenience of having to download a 3rd-party app to FAT32 format my 128Gb microUSB for the dashcam. Definitely a good thing if they can use exFAT. Do I look for 2020.8.1? Is it an "advanced" or normal. Should I switch to advanced?

PS OP needs to get a life :)

switch to advanced if you want earlier updates. In normal mode, you will receive the formal and (perhaps) more stable ones.

I reckon almost every Tesla owner has it set to advanced

• Helpful
Reactions: Bob Denny