Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 build quality & defects thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Tesla seems to be constantly iterating and improving quality I thought it would be useful to try and track hows the 2020 builds are fairing. So for those collecting cars this year, please let us know.

As Tesla seems to be constantly iterating and improving quality I thought it would be useful to try and track hows the 2020 builds are fairing. So for those collecting cars this year, please let us know.

Which car do you have and do you have issues yourself?

There's a risk that this becomes a thread of focussed negativity (as happens in every other brand forum). It becomes apparent what the problem areas are when people post in other threads...

SR+ picked up Dec, have to say really impressed with quantity, last two cars both mercs and build quality is easily as good , 3m and 3k miles in only issues to come to light are slight rattle in the drivers seatbelt mechanism ( right by my ear) and the front section of the roof has been fitted off center so the wind whistles on the off side on the motorway, booked in to sc Next week.
Tbh only getting these looked because the rest is so good they are noticeable.
Other than that car completely exceeded expectations

Picked my SR+ up 4 days ago.

Windscreen cowl was loose - pressed it back into place, all good now I think.

I don’t have premium connectivity trial enabled. Doesn’t seem to be an issue for anyone else and hopefully something that’ll just be switched on from HQ soon.

Other than that it’s the best purchase I’ve ever made and the best car I’ve ever driven, and have zero complaints.

Having Honda, Alfa Romeo, VW, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes tor the last 17 years. Build quality compared with Tesla? To make sense just compare with X5, Cayenne, GLE as these are more recent. I’m afraid Tesla at the bottom. Having BMW 1, MB C, and Land Rover for few weeks. Tesla still can’t win. I mean only on build quality. Pure body work.

But enjoy to drive Tesla.

Having Honda, Alfa Romeo, VW, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes tor the last 17 years. Build quality compared with Tesla? To make sense just compare with X5, Cayenne, GLE as these are more recent. I’m afraid Tesla at the bottom. Having BMW 1, MB C, and Land Rover for few weeks. Tesla still can’t win. I mean only on build quality. Pure body work.

But enjoy to drive Tesla.

Guess it just depends on your experience.

My wife drives a Cayenne and it’s been terrible build quality with various niggly issues. Service from dealership has also been extremely poor even to the point of them denying that constantly squealing brakes issue existed when it happens every time you use them, as well as the “that’s just how it is” answer to issues with the sunroof.

Won’t be using them again...she’s moving to EV soon anyway, but still!

Reactions: Gatsojon
PIcked up an M3 last June, an MS last November, and two M3 last week.

The MS had misaligned windscreen squirt (which I didn't think to check on the nice sunny pick-up day, but i am sure would have been a 5 minutes fix, and isn;t a "thing" on M3 as "squirt" is on the wiper itself) and some creak from dashboard which is barely noticeable (and I am certainly happy to live with until next service)

One of the M3 last week had slightly misaligned rear door. They carted it off to workshop and fixed it, and when they brought it back said they had found a chip (or somesuch) on the wheel (which neither I nor eagle eye'd colleagues had spotted) and had replaced the wheel with a new one.

Stitched us up like a kipper. Typical stealership tactics. Put most expensive wide wheels on a Blue Motion Golf replacement ("We want full Eco like the previous one") which wrecked the MPG. They squared the wheels doing pick-up/drop-off (massive steering wheel vibration, so would have known if it had been us beforehand) and point blank refused it was anything to do with them. And DieselGate ... don't get me started. Morals that consider it perfectly acceptable to pay hundreds of billions of fines in USA but have no case to answer in EU. I'm not buying anything from their stable ever again in my lifetime.

En... My point is just to compare body work. As just having M3 for few days. Service is good from ordering, but not collection day. Total 20 to deliver on the day, and just 2-3 groups? 35 mins each, I don’t understand what else on the day then. I feel like driving an iPad not a car. Maybe just take it home and play with.

Did a test drive on Thursday and of the 4 Model 3’s I looked at all had the same very noticeable panel misalignment on the passenger side door, where the top corner of the door meets near the mirror with the front panel and windscreen pillar. The door also appeared to be sunken in when compared to the windscreen pillar. The drivers side on all 4 cars was perfect. This included the brand new cars waiting to be collected. The bumpers had misalignment, not major but noticeable and the upper door to roof panels also misaligned.

I only checked after what I’d read on here from current owners.

There was also slight mis colouring between the bumpers and body panels but this is not uncommon due to painting on plastic v metal.

The actual test drive was superb and there were no rattles bangs or knocks from the test car.

Compared to Merc’s and Audi’s then you just wouldn’t expect this on a new car. It’s an area where Tesla will improve as their business model settles, as demand at the moment for the Model 3 is unprecedented. It does make me think that their Quality Control / Assurance methods at assembly are not as rigorous as other Car manufacturers, but with industry auditing this will definitely improve.

It doesn’t put me off buying, but confirms the few posts about cabin noise and moisture build up in some cars, as misalignment may result in these types of issues being presented over time.
7174388D-B356-438B-9EF7-0C3D40555DAC.jpeg
6041DE93-04CE-4417-BCE7-5B4F6BA3DEF5.jpeg
6EF7A87B-BC2C-4B59-9318-919D7BD6D647.jpeg

Reactions: Gatsojon
I had a scratch on my bumper (down to the black plastic), which is in the process of being resolved.

Then both mine, and my friend’s M3 had the exact same issue of the boot hitting the bumper when closing it, beginning to damage the paintwork.

Beyond that, it’s been fantastic.

Reactions: Cyclone1
Collected 18th Jan. Only issues I’ve found were some loose trim in the passenger footwell that clipped back in to place, and I got the low brake fluid warning which was resolved by topping up the brake fluid. Also, the rear doors are slightly misaligned on both sides, but it’s very minor and seems quite common.

Did a test drive on Thursday and of the 4 Model 3’s I looked at all had the same very noticeable panel misalignment on the passenger side door, where the top corner of the door meets near the mirror with the front panel and windscreen pillar. The door also appeared to be sunken in when compared to the windscreen pillar. The drivers side on all 4 cars was perfect. This included the brand new cars waiting to be collected. The bumpers had misalignment, not major but noticeable and the upper door to roof panels also misaligned.

I only checked after what I’d read on here from current owners.

There was also slight mis colouring between the bumpers and body panels but this is not uncommon due to painting on plastic v metal.

The actual test drive was superb and there were no rattles bangs or knocks from the test car.

Compared to Merc’s and Audi’s then you just wouldn’t expect this on a new car. It’s an area where Tesla will improve as their business model settles, as demand at the moment for the Model 3 is unprecedented. It does make me think that their Quality Control / Assurance methods at assembly are not as rigorous as other Car manufacturers, but with industry auditing this will definitely improve.

It doesn’t put me off buying, but confirms the few posts about cabin noise and moisture build up in some cars, as misalignment may result in these types of issues being presented over time.
View attachment 514193 View attachment 514194 View attachment 514195
2nd pic is shocking. 1st and 3rd isn’t great but not sure I’d lose sleep over it, as have seen similar on other cars.

Went to see the 3 Performance in the Edinburgh showroom. The interior seemed pretty well put together. The paint finish also looked pretty good, several scratches but this is not surprising from a showroom example with lots of people handling it. The panel fit looked good at the front and all the doors looked fine although some of the weather sealing trims looked a little bit wonky. All pretty good until you got to the rear. Gap between the boot pillars and the wings was visibly different each side and the trim on the drivers side (the trim where the charging port is on the passenger side) was well off line, rear lights also fitted slightly off. Also when I opened the boot I noticed what looked like a couple of welds underneath the rear lights where the metal meets the panel with the number plate. Hidden in normal circumstances but looked a bit strange. Maybe I'm a bit OCD with my car and I'm not saying it was terrible but honestly I would of been disappointed if I had received it. Admittedly its totally different to an ICE and the money is in the tech but it's still a £50K+ car and should be built like one. I've been lucky enough to have new cars for the last 30 years from differing manufacturers and apart from the BMW (even it was not close really, still £20K less) none of them remotely near that price and they have all been finished spot on, I've never had to take any of them back for panel or fit and finish issues. Also worries me that they are happy to have this on display, if I was a dealer I would expect every car on show to the public to be nigh on perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone1
I've been told by my detailer, who has done several different Teslas (3, S and X), to prepare myself for disappointment relative to the other cars I've brought to him. He said that without exception every car he's looked at has had issues, some of which he hasn't been able to resolve.

Now to some extent I would expect an OCD opinion from a detailer, but I do think also that there is substance behind his comments. I think, unfortunately, you have to make peace with a relative level of quality and fit and finish. You really are paying for the brand, the tech, etc more than the bodywork and precise shuts etc.

That doesn't excuse Tesla of course, but until such time as demand wanes - which seems unlikely any time soon - or they are held to a higher standard in some other way then I think we have to carry on hoping for the best.

Reactions: seadog and Cyclone1
Also when I opened the boot I noticed what looked like a couple of welds underneath the rear lights where the metal meets the panel with the number plate. Hidden in normal circumstances but looked a bit strange.

I think that is one of the areas where the paint doesn't get much coverage. Our paint finish is not very good along the seam above rear number plate - I just put it down to one of the areas that paint doesn't much get to, although that bit is on the exterior of the car, albeit, not very visible until you open the boot. Not sure how bad it will be when I swap the mounting of the rear number plate and expose more bodywork in that area.

I think that is one of the areas where the paint doesn't get much coverage. Our paint finish is not very good along the seam above rear number plate - I just put it down to one of the areas that paint doesn't much get to, although that bit is on the exterior of the car, albeit, not very visible until you open the boot. Not sure how bad it will be when I swap the mounting of the rear number plate and expose more bodywork in that area.

That's the only reason I noticed it. As I had read that some cars had issues with a lack of paint in that area it was something I was looking for, the area did seem to be painted OK but external welds showing looked an "amateurish" finish, don't think that's something you would find on many other cars albeit it's not exactly noticeable in normal viewing. I take it all Model 3's have these two welds?