Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 build quality & defects thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked my red SR+ up a week ago and can't find anything to worry about. The frunk shut line narrows very slightly where the bumper joins the wings but I have to look twice to even notice it as it is so slight.

The paint looks good and haven't noticed any orange peel despite washing it this week. I guess the summer will allow a closer look.

@Boggle I think we are all enabled for a months Premium Connectivity but you need to use it. I eventually pressed the "world" icon bottom left on the screen when first getting in the car to get the satelite pics on the map as I understand you only have basic maps otherwise.

My whinge is that some windows on the screen need an arrow to show they extend below as I couldn't find Sentry Mode. You have to scroll down to get to some features which isn't obvious.

Reactions: Durzel
@Boggle I think we are all enabled for a months Premium Connectivity but you need to use it. I eventually pressed the "world" icon bottom left on the screen when first getting in the car to get the satelite pics on the map as I understand you only have basic maps otherwise.
Sadly I don’t have that icon.

I’ve tried everything but I basically don’t have it available to me. Awaiting the 11th Mar ranger visit unless they work it out sometime before then

The interior of mine is pretty good. I wouldn't say as solid as previous German cars I've owned but OK so far. I had an airbag warning in week two and a ranger sorted it in 10 minutes (loose connector). Externally our local detailer chap showed me paint defects and "thinness" and so it's now fully PPF coated so I can forget about it!

There was a slight frunk misalignment on collection but I live with that as it's not major. Part the front dash over the speakers was proud on collection but a quick shove clicked it into place. No knocks or rattles.

I was happy to have got the car to a point where I can just enjoy driving it but unfortunately I've now got water pi$$ing in through the cowl seal, so provisionally into Milton Keynes next week for repair. Hopefully they can sort that and we should be all good again hopefully. Sorry just re-read the thread title - this car was from last August. Once the niggles are (hopefully) resolved, it's a beast of a car and well worth it.

Raven S LR collected late Dec had several glitchy issues but really nothing major. All was as expected based on research before buying, and I absolutely love the car. Having driven a 2017 loaner X 100D with 22's for a week I am so happy I went with the late spec. S.

Negatives:
Tailgate alignment not perfect but not too obvious either.
Repeated B-Pillar camera condensation concerning for future development / FSD.
Regen performance vs battery temp pretty fustrating.

Plus:
Collection went smoothly (once I made it to that point!)
I love the ride quality / handling balance.
Sound system at higher end of expectations.
It's been a long time since I actually looked for excuses to drive.
Apart from tailgate, no other aligment issues I can see.
Paint finish above expectations.
Efficiency and range inline with expectations (which is a big plus).

The interior of mine is pretty good. I wouldn't say as solid as previous German cars I've owned but OK so far. I had an airbag warning in week two and a ranger sorted it in 10 minutes (loose connector). Externally our local detailer chap showed me paint defects and "thinness" and so it's now fully PPF coated so I can forget about it!

There was a slight frunk misalignment on collection but I live with that as it's not major. Part the front dash over the speakers was proud on collection but a quick shove clicked it into place. No knocks or rattles.

I was happy to have got the car to a point where I can just enjoy driving it but unfortunately I've now got water pi$$ing in through the cowl seal, so provisionally into Milton Keynes next week for repair. Hopefully they can sort that and we should be all good again hopefully. Sorry just re-read the thread title - this car was from last August. Once the niggles are (hopefully) resolved, it's a beast of a car and well worth it.
Slightly off topic but did you get a full car PPF then? XPEL? How much was it if you don’t mind me asking?

Slightly off topic but did you get a full car PPF then? XPEL? How much was it if you don’t mind me asking?
Premiumshield Elite self-healing. Nicer finish than XPel. Coated with Gtechniq Halo for hydrophobic properties. Still self-heals when coated. £3k but wangled a deal on the back of additional work. Full car with the important panel edge wrap around

Reactions: Durzel
Regen performance vs battery temp pretty fustrating.

Yes I have noticed that too. Previous MS 90 had quicker battery-warm-time, the replacement MS LR takes "a lot of journey" to warm the battery.

I schedule a charge drop from 90% to 80% at start of Off Peak, and then put it back up to 90% an hour before departure, and resume charging, to provide warm battery for commute. I also have charge-at-work so same thing there and hour before departure.

It won't be a problem in the Summer ...

Did you custom order or pick up from inventory?
Inventory.

I started of looking at custom M3, but got a strong impression that the reality was Tesla were just using the system to keep me 'on hold' while they sold 'my car' or specs very similar to inventory buyers several times over, then just ended up picking a regular build car for me and making minor changes to meet my exact build to suit Tesla's production flow.

Once I was ready for a car, it seemed to make more sense to keep a hawk eye on inventory and at least that way I could expect to see a specific car pretty soon after placing the order.

Last edited:
Nice. Will look amazing when done I’m sure :)
It's been done a few months now, looks smart when washed - the ceramic top coat over the PPF is quite shiny and beads water very well. However, other than covering up a few small paint defects (a little bit) it doesn't really look any different to a clean, polished car. There mainly for the protection and a bit of peace of mind.

Inventory.

I started of looking at custom M3, but got a strong impression that the reality was Tesla were just using the system to keep me 'on hold' while they sold 'my car' or specs very similar to inventory buyers several times over, then just ended up picking a regular build car for me and making minor changes to meet my exact build to suit Tesla's production flow.

Once I was ready for a car, it seemed to make more sense to keep a hawk eye on inventory and at least that way I could expect to see a specific car pretty soon after placing the order.

I agree, I don't think "custom" build and the M3 go together, whereas the modest S/X volume tends to mean a car is built for you on order. The wait last time seemed an eternity, and the comms then were less than great - but considerably better than now! It does make a huge difference that this time I'm already in a Tesla :).

I'm a few months away from taking any action, but my current thinking is to order a custom build and keep an eye on the inventory. If an inventory car crops up near a quarter end and offers better value I'll try and jump on it. Of course, knowing Tesla, making plans a few months out can be pointless - and I'm hanging on in case there's a refresh of some sort. o_O