Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Long Range vs 2018 P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Time Post, Long Time Members : I'm legitimately split 50/50 on which Model X to get, although I have a slight lean to Performance.

I found a 2018 P100D Manufactured on 12/2018 in California at a Family Owned Car Dealership For Sale. CarFax Report shows 1 Owner. First Odometer Reading reported 1,300 Miles on 10/8/19. On 10/28/19 The Title was issued as a Personal Lease Vehicle. On 12/5/19 It was Traded in to a dealership where it sits waiting for me to get it shipped home to me in Texas, if I pull the trigger.

Am I overthinking this, or is there cause for concern based off this CarFax Report? I'm doubting myself, which is probably normal before spending over $100,000 on something you haven't touched.

Thanks In Advance

Depends how long you plan to keep the MX and ultimately how far you drive. I’m always local so I got a 07/19 Raven Performance and always have a smile on my face driving it.

I’m sure you know all about the Raven upgrades, so keep those in mind, as the MX is an energy Hog, and every improvement up until now will help make sure you get the best overall experience.

Also I wouldn’t pass up free unlimited Supercharging if you plan to keep the MX for a long time with the 2020 LR Raven.

Last edited:
I actually wouldn't say I know all about the Raven Upgrades. I'm trying to gather as much information from multiple sources as possible.

Another thing I was trying to get an opinion on was the manufacturer date vs the registration date of the vehicle. 10 months sitting around or being used for whatever purpose to rack up 1500 miles seems odd to me.

I would not hesitate for a moment getting the Raven 2020.

HW3 included.
More Efficient
Longer Range (both because of Raven and non Performance and possibly Wheels could be 250 vs 325 !!!)
Free Super Charging (buying from dealer might not get it transferred)
Known History
Dynamic Suspension
Full Warranty
You can buy Extended Warranty (might not be allowed to extend warranty).

First Time Post, Long Time Members : I'm legitimately split 50/50 on which Model X to get, although I have a slight lean to Performance.

I found a 2018 P100D Manufactured on 12/2018 in California at a Family Owned Car Dealership For Sale. CarFax Report shows 1 Owner. First Odometer Reading reported 1,300 Miles on 10/8/19. On 10/28/19 The Title was issued as a Personal Lease Vehicle. On 12/5/19 It was Traded in to a dealership where it sits waiting for me to get it shipped home to me in Texas, if I pull the trigger.

Am I overthinking this, or is there cause for concern based off this CarFax Report? I'm doubting myself, which is probably normal before spending over $100,000 on something you haven't touched.

Thanks In Advance

It depends, at least in part, how much cheaper the 2018 is compared to the 2020. If it’s not SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, e.g. 10-20K cheaper, I’d get the 2020.

2020 Long Range Specs our to about $98,000
While the 2018 P100D with same Specs is $105,000 with 1700 miles.
Take the 2020 Long Range and the extra you’d spend on the 2018 P and you can add Xpel stealth PPF with ceramic coating. I went with regular Xpel Ultimate, but wish I did the Stealth. I got a black MX and the stealth would make it matte black and highlight all the curves and edges. If you plan to keep it well over 5yrs you’ll have a good 10years of protection with PPF. Rock chips and swivel marks will be non existent. If you live in a cold climate you’ll be happy all that road salt and sand wont ruin your new baby.

Also get the white seats protected with a coating, mine clean up nicely with water and a microfibre.

A brand new 2020 Performance starts at around $105k anyway. How many options would you want to add to that other than white interior which is only $2k.

The cost of the options could easily be worth buying a brand new car directly from Tesla with no odd carfax history and Free Supercharging and a Raven drivetrain.

Note that if the 2018 claims to have free supercharging it won't transfer to you. You'd have to find an early 2017 build ordered in 2016 to get transferable free supercharging.

6 Seat Interior / White / 22 inch Wheels
Don’t buy Tesla 22”...get the 20s for better range, If you really want 22s buy from TSportline as they’re lighter rims and look a lot nicer. It will also give you an idea of how crazy you want your MX to look.

my 2 cents from my experience buying 22s from Tesla. I have 20s on right now with snow tires and the range is way better than the all season 22s.

I recently went through the same decision process. Used P100D vs new Long Range. New gets the tax incentive, lifetime supercharging, Raven efficiency, better ride quality, quieter, new front seats, no chrome. If you can find a new one in inventory and make it all happen before the 31st. There seems to be a lot of Performance models in inventory and the occasional long range. It was a hard decision not to go performance, but in the end it's my wife's car and 4.4 is almost 2x quicker than her Odyssey.

Reading the various forums, the X develops NVH and rattle issues with miles - I hope not, but you might be inheriting some of those in a used vehicle. Also, if ride quality matters to you, I could not imagine that 22" wheels ride as well as 20" wheels.

Reactions: mswlogo
I know someone with similar decision and chose the 2018 P100D. A few miles of range isn't going to make much of a difference but the performance of P100D is twice that of LR.

Do you have kids that you would worry about having the softer suspension of Raven?

As long as you don't drive the performance, either one would be fine. If you drive the performance and know what you're missing, it's hard not to look back sometimes and wish you got the performance. Even the new plaid coming next year will not be much of a bump in performance, but the difference between 4.4 sec and 2.8 seconds is like a Honda accord VS Porsche

Also, the 2020 is a no go for me since the head rest is not adjustable anymore and uncomfortable for many people

Last edited:
There are likely way too many variables for us to know what's the right choice for you. Do you have a long range car for trips, budget, etc etc etc

For me, it's worth stopping a bit more to charge with the hit of range a 2018 P100d causes. Bc I laugh like a little kid every time I stomp on the pedal and my car rockets me ahead of everything.

If you're worried about range, get the LR. It's still kind of quick.