Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 M3 - Control Arm Squeak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody with a UK M3 have an issue with the front control arm having an extremely loud squeaking rubber noise when turning the wheel or generally driving?

Noticed it yesterday and raised a service request today. Can it be done at home or is it a trip to the service centre?

Reactions: boombap
Anybody with a UK M3 have an issue with the front control arm having an extremely loud squeaking rubber noise when turning the wheel or generally driving?

Noticed it yesterday and raised a service request today. Can it be done at home or is it a trip to the service centre?
Trip to the service centre. We waited for the part to be available but service centre confirmed ok to drive.

No parts replaced on mine, just lubed at the SC.

It will quite probably go again. The lube was a bit of a bodge done under general recall. For us it lasted about a year - I suspect hot weather did it no favours. In the end they replaced both sides even though only one side was creaking. Sod’s Law it occurred a couple of weeks before MOT and they didn’t have parts so had to postpone a week. Thankfully all sorted in a couple of hours at service centre just ahead of needing MOT. But we were without car for a couple of weeks as Tesla refused to check/say if it would be safe to drive - we did get it checked in the end and no movement in joint.

Reactions: pow216
I am not certain, but believe that when Tesla changed over to black trim and heat pumps they also changed the control arm and how it sealed differently to prevent the grease lubricant from moving from the ball joint gasket. My Model 3 did the same exact thing and I removed the wheel and strapped down the control arm and simply wiggled the ball joint thoroughly and that solved the issue with no recurrence. Nom extra lube needed; just rotating the joint was all it took to spread the grease lubricant around again to eliminate the awful sound. There was a YouTube video from a Canadian mechanic that showed the process on a Model 3. If I still had that link I’d paste it here. Try to find it if you’d are out of warranty. If under warranty still, then by all means get the service center to upgrade your control arms.

I had a 2020 M3 with exact same fault. Mobile service changed both on my drive, when they eventually had them in stock. I was concerned about safety since all I'd done was describe the fault, but they said they knew exactly what it was and it was safe to drive. Guess they were changing a lot at that time

Reactions: boombap
Thanks for the info everybody. Not had a rely in app to my service request yet so just called customer service. Guy on the phone said it was unlikely mobile service could do it at home as the car needs to be jacked. Hopefully somebody is in touch soon, not concerned from a safety perspective but it’s a little embarrassing having a lovely modern car like this & it squeaking like an old banger!

I got the creak last week and today went out to record the sound and, of course, it would not reproduce. Nonetheless, I scheduled an SC appt to get lubed and we'll what they do...
They will replace the upper arms with new version if you are lucky and they have them in stock... and then the creaking will be back sooner or later. Promises of after-market arms have been made to cure...

Mine's just gone again. Noticed a slight squeaking on steering and parked up. Then when I went again it made a huge clunk. This is the second time in 6 months.
Huge clunk is worrying - definitely get that checked out ASAP - some of the bolts can come loose, from: Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bearings for Tesla Model 3 & Model Y

That’s not even the worst part! The OE Tesla Model 3 lower control arms have a known tendency to come loose after aggressive track driving with high grip tires. In fact, the bolts totally backed themselves out on us during our Laguna Seca Time Attack event, and frankly we were lucky that the arm stayed on at all. The last half of the lap was completed with the bolts literally being held in place by the factory plastic undertray. This happened despite torquing the bolts higher than the factory spec and having checked them on the first day of the event. You can read more about this here, and we recommend you continually check these bolts if you’re tracking your car.

Not saying you have been tracking your car, but bad things can happen!

Huge clunk is worrying - definitely get that checked out ASAP - some of the bolts can come loose, from: Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bearings for Tesla Model 3 & Model Y

Not saying you have been tracking your car, but bad things can happen!
I can’t help but question “This happened despite torquing the bolts higher than factory spec…” This implies that torquing above factory spec was somehow expected to be better than using the correct figures! Torquing above spec is as likely to cause problems as torquing below spec in my book… if you go beyond the elasticity of the bolt then it can be foooked.

Created a service request for a rubbing noise when turning the steering wheel in warm weather. Really sounded like the noise was isolated to the cabin so felt like it was related to the steering rack.

Mobile service arrived this morning, took the car for a drive and unfortunately couldn't hear anything. Showed them this video:

2.5 hours later they had replaced both control arms with new parts. Issue solved without having to leave the house!

I'm always really impressed with the effectiveness of the mobile service function. Tracking feels fine although I'll try and book it in somewhere soon just to be safe.

So, having had the front control arms both replaced a few months ago, there is now a slight ‘clunk’ which has developed on the front suspension whenever going over rough road surfaces. Quite had to explain the sound, but I suspect it’s related to the control arms.

Anybody had a similar experience after having them changed?

I’ll raise a service request, but it’s a ball ache having to take it in and waste a day waiting for them to diagnose/repair.

I got a loaner today while my M3P is in for HV battery replacement - number 2. And this has the same squeak in the video above. Not a huge issue as 99% of the time it’s on a motorway and don’t hear it. It’s also got a slight vibration in the wheel and the tracking is way out. 3 days till mine is back…..🤞🏻