Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 performance range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. The SoC the car displays is the ratio of your energy remaining available above the buffer to the maximum possible available above the buffer.

SoC % = 100* (RemainkWh - BufferkWh) / (FullkWh - BufferkWh)

So as your FullkWh goes down over time, the SoC % will be unaffected (you won't notice the reduction in FullkWh readily when using SoC %).

BTW, BufferkWh seems to always be 0.045*FullkWh, so this can be "simplified" as:

= 100 * (RemainkWh - 0.045*FullkWh)/ (0.955 * FullkWh)

= 100 * 1.047* (RemainkWh/FullkWh - 0.045)

This is not a formula that really provides much insight, but it's worth noting the buffer 4.5% value in any case.

I wish I could say I understood 4.5% of what you just said. I have faith it’s accurate but the TL;DR is that my assumption is wrong and I should keep using the % as my battery indicator.

I'm not going to get anywhere near 300 miles with this kind of discharge rate. LOL (No AC, no heater, no heated seats, driving weather in the 50s-60s, and minimal freeway.) I just enjoy driving the car too damn much! :D

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 8.09.19 PM.png

Tesla use the EPA test suite to determine the theoretical range. Legally, they have to use it.

Your range WILL be different. The choice of tires also affect range, even ignoring the usual culprits of frigid temps and high speed. :)

Recommendation is that you change the battery display from the misleading EPA miles, to percentage.

didn’t read all posts, but this one right away had all you need to know.

- change to % instead of remaining distance
- the 20” wheels don’t get 310miles and never did.
- if you’re on winter tires, expect to lose more
- the battery remaining is a “guess made by the car. It is not very accurate.
- your range will read higher in summer as your battery will be warmer more of the time and will get a better charge as a result.
- keep an eye on your tire pressures, makes a big difference
- preheat the car while it’s plugged in
- precondition at the same time
- be reasonable with your cabin temperature
- don’t charge to full, or really even 90% as you won’t get to take full advantage of the regenerative breaking which will increase your efficiency
- enjoy the car!

don’t forget, you bought a performance car, you didn’t entirely buy it for efficiency, it just happens to be an efficient performance car.

I was on Porsche forums where people where people where complaining about their fuel efficiency. Not the car to buy if you want the most efficiency (until more recently with the Tycan)

Except that none of this response has anything to do with what the OP was asking about - how many rated miles should display at 100% charge on a brand new 3P+? The OP specifically said he is fine with the range and that he knows it depends on many factors. His question was not about the range.

- change to % instead of remaining distance
- the 20” wheels don’t get 310miles and never did.
- if you’re on winter tires, expect to lose more
- the battery remaining is a “guess made by the car. It is not very accurate.
- your range will read higher in summer as your battery will be warmer more of the time and will get a better charge as a result.
- keep an eye on your tire pressures, makes a big difference
- preheat the car while it’s plugged in
- precondition at the same time
- be reasonable with your cabin temperature
- don’t charge to full, or really even 90% as you won’t get to take full advantage of the regenerative breaking which will increase your efficiency
- enjoy the car!

don’t forget, you bought a performance car, you didn’t entirely buy it for efficiency, it just happens to be an efficient performance car.

I was on Porsche forums where people where people where complaining about their fuel efficiency. Not the car to buy if you want the most efficiency (until more recently with the Tycan)
yea....like buying a Bently and complaining about price of gas

• Funny
Reactions: jfinephilly
Using A/C in hot weather has little (if any) impact on range

A/C at full blast can use about 2kW. Steady state on a warm (but not hot) day, it might settle to closer to 1kW or so. Obviously the steady state value depends on solar heating too - on a hot evening it might settle to a somewhat lower value.

In any case, on a trip with average speed of 65mph (this is about the highest average speed most people will see), that is 15-30Wh/mi adder. So for range at those speeds, you'd likely see a 5-10% impact on range.

For more around town use, with average speeds of 30mph, it's a 30-60Wh/mi adder. Range not really a relevant factor for this use case typically, but AC will noticeably impact efficiency.

Probably 50-60 out and kept air at 70

Not clear if it was daytime or not. In the dark or without much solar heating, that would mean about 1-2kW steady state power consumption due to heating. So for your speeds it might have added 20-30Wh/mi (2kW/70mph = 28Wh/mi). In the daytime, if it were sunny, I would expect a lower impact.

I think you'll get about 200 real world miles from it.

I watch a lot of "Out of Spec Motoring" youtube roadtrip vids and I think the guy said he gets 200 real world miles on his performance 3

The first guy that replied answered your question though. EPA tests are also done in doors with no weather or added wind resistance.
Yeah. 200 is about right starting from 100% down to 5% as tested driving normal highway speeds. For the record mine read 296 the first time I charged to 100% and since then has settled out to ~299.

I did a 6k mile road trip up to Vancouver, BC last month averaging speeds of 80-85 mph with my aero covers removed. I would have been able to average below 300 Wh/mi if I had the covers on and kept my speed at 70 mph but the car charges so fast that my trip would have taken longer had I slowed down.

BOsVMjH.jpg
Yes, the fast charging speeds really lend themselves to taking advantage of the charging curves 5-60% and just slingshotting from SC to SC as fast as your wits and radar detectors will let you. I can’t wait for a CCS adapter to further maximize charging options.

We went from 45ish to 97ish in the time to took to walk over to Panera, eat and leave. Maybe a little over 20 minutes.
Plugging in at a SoC that high isn't ideal. Try to target 10% since you'll get way more in the same 20 minute time frame.

Edit: If you had to eat at that moment, I get it, sometimes you're just really hungry! But when I know I have a planned stop at a supercharger, and my estimated State of Charge on arrival is pretty high (20+%) I'll usually speed up just so I can get that higher charging speed. Driving at higher speeds warms up the stator & battery which in effect prepares the car for faster charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Plugging in at a SoC that high isn't ideal. Try to target 10% since you'll get way more in the same 20 minute time frame.

Edit: If you had to eat at that moment, I get it, sometimes you're just really hungry! But when I know I have a planned stop at a supercharger, and my estimated State of Charge on arrival is pretty high (20+%) I'll usually speed up just so I can get that higher charging speed. Driving at higher speeds warms up the stator & battery which in effect prepares the car for faster charging.

It is the only SC on the whole trip, besides one in the start and end locations. Just happened to be almost dead middle lol. Will keep in mind for longer trips.

I've lost 20 miles of range in one month. I called Tesla and they said that they battery checked out fine and they didn't see any issue's on their end. So now I am down from a range at a 90% charge of 243 miles to a 90% charge of 223 miles. I changed my A/C configuration to "auto" and turned off the cabin overheat, but nothing has made a difference. I have the 20" wheels and 2020 performance model, but I drive super slow to try and conserve battery power. Not sure what I am supposed to do to get back my 20 miles of range....but like it was mentioned above, I changed to percentage because it's driving my OCD mind crazy!!

I have lost 20 miles of range in one month. I went from a 90% charge with 243 miles, down to 223 on a 90% charge. I have a 2020 M3 performance with the 20" wheels. I called Tesla and they said that my battery appeared fine on their end and suggested I turn off cabin overheat and change my A/C to auto. I did both and I am still not seeing the range coming back. I did change my display to show percentage in stead of mile range because it was driving my OCD mind crazy! Now I have no idea what to do....maybe it's time to sell. I dunno.
No worries, that’s just 15%, well within normal, and it’s probably a bit of an underestimate given it dropped so quickly. Might be just 12-13% if you drain it and recharge.

Make sure your car sleeps (contactors); that’s why they suggested those things.

If you want to feel better switch to 18” wheels in the GUI. 😂