Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo Gets EPA Range Rating Of Just 201 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche makes really, really great gasoline-powered cars.
No doubt about it.
But they're like the oldest and finest cassette tape manufacturer that now must learn how to make CD's, while the competition is already making flash drives...
And let's not forget that, supposedly, vinyl LPs are outselling CDs. Now all you need is a flash drive...or a record player...in your short-range Porsche.

• Funny
Reactions: mrbulk and VT_EE
so 200 miles range.
Knock off 20% for cold weather
=> 160 miles
Charge to 90%
=>144 miles
Dont run below 30 miles (so you can find a charger if needed)
=>114 miles

anything much over a 50 mile trip each way and you're into range anxiety
this is exactly why you need 300+ miles rated range.

Tesla seem to have moved the goalposts while Porsche were absolutely not benchmarking that P90D.

Still it is their 1st gen, at $180K the depreciation cost will be horrible, but their next effort will be better no doubt.

or more succinctly - it wont overheat because it's batteries wont last long enough for it to get hot !
I would put money on it that Porsche has blocked off the top 10% of the battery for longevity reasons just like Audi did. At least you can charge to 100% without worrying about degradation.

With 201 miles and $150k-$170k price, the Taycan Turbo is DOA.
They will sell, to similar clientele as those who paid $160K for P90D's - which of course that is a limited group, but maybe that is the goal. Range above 200 miles is not as important to everyone. If they priced it on par with P100D, they'd get probably get some more meaningful sales, especially from those who want tech options not available in Tesla, like phone integration (Apple CarPlay/Andoid Auto) to allow phone apps to run on the car's screens, surround view, night vision, dynamic LED matrix headlights, additional noise insulation, ceramic brakes, etc. Not saying everyone is willing to sacrifice range (those people are probably buying the 100D, since even P100D sacrifices range), but some will.

PS> There may also be those who just want their product with all the features on day one, not wait for years for OTA updates to deliver something underwhelming. Or those who prefer a better service experience.

I would put money on it that Porsche has blocked off the top 10% of the battery for longevity reasons just like Audi did. At least you can charge to 100% without worrying about degradation.

That's likely it.

The REAL world range of it is probably on par with a Model S 75D. Plus Porsche tends to be more conservative with numbers so I imagine people will get rated range way more often than in a Tesla.

I hardly ever get rated range unless the conditions are just right.

Even with a P3D I hardly ever have a journey over 200 miles before I need to charge. Sure I have 20inch tires, and an unwillingness to drive at or below the speed limit.

I'd love to take a Taycan on a journey to Portland, and back to see how it does. But, its out of my price range even for a rental. :p

Reactions: whitex
Doesn't matter that some independent lab can get a higher range - they can do that on a Tesla too and blow past 400. The whole point of the EPA doing it is to allow fair comparisons between cars. Big fail here - kind of sad given the Taycan is so nice otherwise. Which also means the smaller battery base model will be more like 150.

A neighbor was looking at the eTron, until he saw the range, and ended up with an ICE SUV instead. So sad the Germans missed the mark - like they were aiming just to beat the old Leaf. Maybe that kind of range works fine in Europe? I understand the eTron is selling well in the EU; not so much in the US.

That's likely it.

The REAL world range of it is probably on par with a Model S 75D. Plus Porsche tends to be more conservative with numbers so I imagine people will get rated range way more often than in a Tesla.
I suspect that is the case too. Also, in a less efficient car, things like wind and weather don't affect the range as much (think, adding 3000lb weight to a Model 3 affects its range much higher % than adding 3000lb to the Tesla semi).

I hardly ever get rated range unless the conditions are just right.
I don't think I've ever gotten rated range our of my P85D. Rated at 259 (I think, don't charge to 100%, 90% is 225), but I can count on 200 in the summer (worst efficiency I got once cruising on Montana highways 142miles 98%t o 3%, fall not winter so ~55F, but average speed 80+mph).

I'd love to take a Taycan on a journey to Portland, and back to see how it does. But, its out of my price range even for a rental. :p
Probably not available for trips to Portland, but there will be a Taycan Turbo available for test drives around here before Christmas (not sure if this is by invite only, I got an invite, if I find the time I will try it out, who knows, it might replace my aging P85D).

• Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
Sad they are fighting the EPA numbers. Took this straight from Doug demuro review even Porsche themselves gave it 217 miles at 99%. They also put the 201 mile range on their official website for the Taycan turbo. Also note that screen doesn't have capacitive touch like smart phones or the Tesla screen. It's hard touch like you almost need a stylus

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191211-233849.png
    Screenshot_20191211-233849.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Dude, go drive a new Model S. The suspension upgrade is amazing. The entire car is way better than your old P85D.
I happen to like the my P85D's SAS+ suspension. My wife's S has a regular SAS on it, I'm as crazy about it. I get that the Raven suspension might be good too, but since I already have suspension that I like, not a reason to upgrade. As a side note, I was close to buying a new P100D earlier this year when the price was at its lowest ($99K for white on white) but got soured on the idea after going though the yellow screen issue with my wife's car. Besides my own issue, I sat in the service center for a over two hours while waiting to find an ICE car rental (no loaners - $100 uber credit doesn't even cover a round trip home, nor does it cover all the errands my wife does with the car they were fixing), listening to other frustrated customers, listening to official Tesla responses for example on how they wanted to charge someone who has a brand new Tesla for diagnostics (hourly), even though the person bought them video of the issue happening, eventually telling him they will wave the diagnostic fee for this one time, but unless he can give reproduce the issue they will charge him if he brings it in again. I was supposed to test drive a Raven during that visit, after dropping off my wife's car, but had to tell the sales guy I'm delayed because there was no rentals (yes, enterprise ran out of cars), and by the time I was provided a Kia rental I just told him not to worry about it, no reason to bother with the test drive if I know I no longer wish to buy another new Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
I won't slag off the Porsche for range (probably ever) but will wait until there is a real-world comparison with the Model S. Then will we know what the true deficit is.
If thegruff is right
"so 200 miles range.
Knock off 20% for cold weather
=> 160 miles
Charge to 90%
=>144 miles
Dont run below 30 miles (so you can find a charger if needed)
=>114 miles
anything much over a 50 mile trip each way and you're into range anxiety
this is exactly why you need 300+ miles rated range."

Then I think Porsche will struggle to sell many. But my guess is that the range will compare better than the EPA numbers suggest. Porsche have done a lot of work making the car excellent in many ways.
But then again: the PRICE!!!

I happen to like the my P85D's SAS+ suspension. My wife's S has a regular SAS on it, I'm as crazy about it. I get that the Raven suspension might be good too, but since I already have suspension that I like, not a reason to upgrade. As a side note, I was close to buying a new P100D earlier this year when the price was at its lowest ($99K for white on white) but got soured on the idea after going though the yellow screen issue with my wife's car. Besides my own issue, I sat in the service center for a over two hours while waiting to find an ICE car rental (no loaners - $100 uber credit doesn't even cover a round trip home, nor does it cover all the errands my wife does with the car they were fixing), listening to other frustrated customers, listening to official Tesla responses for example on how they wanted to charge someone who has a brand new Tesla for diagnostics (hourly), even though the person bought them video of the issue happening, eventually telling him they will wave the diagnostic fee for this one time, but unless he can give reproduce the issue they will charge him if he brings it in again. I was supposed to test drive a Raven during that visit, after dropping off my wife's car, but had to tell the sales guy I'm delayed because there was no rentals (yes, enterprise ran out of cars), and by the time I was provided a Kia rental I just told him not to worry about it, no reason to bother with the test drive if I know I no longer wish to buy another new Tesla.

@CreamSoduh , I noticed you disagreed with my post #33 above. What exactly are you disagreeing with, the fact that I like SAS+ and not SAS, the fact that I was going to buy a new Tesla and I'm not. It was purely an opinion post, so I'm curious what you disagree with.

Going off topic a lot, talking about the Taycan Turbo range.

So as of yet we don't know the estimates of the Taycan 4s and the top of the line Taycan Turbo S. Not sure the size of the battery pack on those variants

Going off topic a lot, talking about the Taycan Turbo range.

So as of yet we don't know the estimates of the Taycan 4s and the top of the line Taycan Turbo S. Not sure the size of the battery pack on those variants

I think you're going to have to try again because you liked the post that he was responding to.

So it couldn't have been because he was off-topic as he was just responding to that. It also had nothing to do with the Taycan 4S or the Taycan Turbo S because he didn't mention those in post 33.

It's perfectly okay to admit that you disagreed with the post because he's suggesting that people have reasons to buy a Porsche Taycan despite the poor EPA range numbers.

Reactions: whitex
The 201 number is too close to just breaking 200 to be coincidence. Part of me thinks they tested it at like 191 and had to unlock some of their locked capacity to break that barrier so the rating doesn't start with a 1.

I'll still get one. Porsche is starting with a capped battery so maybe they can uncap later which is OK - Tesla illegally caps them post sale which isn't OK.

Since I've looked into buying them, I should point out that people won't need to charge the Taycan to 90%. Porsche caps teh battery so 100% isn't actually 100% and lets them charge to full every day and regen brake on a 100% charge. I wouldn't buy one for range, but if anyone was worried about daily charging they have a totally different perspective on daily charging.

Last edited:
The 2012 Model S felt like the car of the future and still does. My P85 uses 320 Wh per mile on average.

The only way you're getting 320 Wh on P85 is to drive it like a Prius or to spend your day stuck in traffic.

I have a P3D, and on the longest trip I've taken it without stopping to charge was 200 miles. According to Teslafi my efficiency was 308 W/Mile with an average speed of 67.

I started with 100% charge, and arrived at my house with 11% charge. The average speed was 67mph.

When I bought the car Tesla claimed an EPA range of 310 miles which we now know was made up. Where Tesla averaged down the Long Range Rear Wheel drive, and ranged up the P3D.

Plus EPA range is the result of a method of measuring range that's not applicable to most road trips. It's a good measurement for mixed driving like one would get on a commute that consist of a little bit of highway, and a little bit of city.

If there is a Taycan ever within my price range (under $100K) then I'll look at real world freeway efficiency where the car is doing 5 over the speed limit at a minimum.

I care about more efficiency with wheels/tires that I actually want on the car, and driving at speeds/quickness that I really want to do. Sure I know how to get more efficiency from the P3D. The first would be to stop taking off quickly, and then I'd have to get different shoes. By the time I'm done I'm left with a Dual-Motor Model 3 with 18 inch efficiency tires with creep mode on.