Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 seats are different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just stumbled upon this comment from MotorTrend:
(MotorTrend Announces Its 2020 Awards Podium Finalists - MotorTrend Group)

"The 2020 Model 3’s seats offer more bolstering, and rear passengers now enjoy a more ergonomic position, as the bench has been raised for improved comfort."

Has anyone seen the 2019 and 2020 interiors side-by-side? Is there really a difference?
I'm currently still waiting for my 2020 order (no VIN yet as of this writing) but I am a bit concerned:

-I don't need the front seats to be sportier or harder. The current seat base is tight enough already (presses too hard on the thighs/legs), I am worried they changed for the worse?
-Rear seats getting raised means there is less headroom?

I would like to hear from people who have ass-on experience with both model years?

• Helpful
Reactions: Judders
Just stumbled upon this comment from MotorTrend:
(MotorTrend Announces Its 2020 Awards Podium Finalists - MotorTrend Group)

"The 2020 Model 3’s seats offer more bolstering, and rear passengers now enjoy a more ergonomic position, as the bench has been raised for improved comfort."

Has anyone seen the 2019 and 2020 interiors side-by-side? Is there really a difference?
I'm currently still waiting for my 2020 order (no VIN yet as of this writing) but I am a bit concerned:

-I don't need the front seats to be sportier or harder. The current seat base is tight enough already (presses too hard on the thighs/legs), I am worried they changed for the worse?
-Rear seats getting raised means there is less headroom?

I would like to hear from people who have ass-on experience with both model years?

This is the first I’m hearing but I’ll trade with your seats if that’s the case!! I for one think the seats need more bolstering. It’s one of the biggest complaints from people that track/auto-x their model 3. They definitely don’t hold me as well as my bmw sport seats nor my wife’s Lexus NX FSport seats.

I have the 9/19 build. From my experience the front seats, where your bum rest seems to be a bit narrow. It is stretching out every time I sit down. The back seats....They make you sit so upright that I think on a long road trip might be uncomfortable for some. I believe they angled the seats this way so taller people can fit in the back.

I am 6 feet and 185lbs athletic build and have almost 5k miles, still waiting to break in drivers seat...Everything feels better in sweats tho haha.

Sounds like this is very old news and Motor Trend had only previously tested an early model 3 (likely a 2017 model).
The Model 3 seats were updated at one time, but it was a long time ago so yes 2020 seats are different than 2017 but no different than 2019.

I would imagine if something like that was just done we would have heard from Tesla and owners about it.

Pretty sure that they changed the seats a long while ago.

Over at tsportline, they still only show Gen1 or Gen2 options for replacement leather seating surfaces. This is the same options they showed before I received my SR+ a few months back.
(Only reason I knew= I'm not stoked about warm weather comfort of the pleather/vegan stuff, and wanted to see what a real leather interior would cost...)

I would assume they'd update the listing to specify a Gen3 of this was a recent change...

link: Tesla Model 3 Seat Upgrade Interior Kit - Insignia Design - Perforated
(hopefully not a 'No-No' to post a link... sorry if it is.)