Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-10-30_11-35-1.png

Reactions: Wuddie
Hi together.
I ordered a Performance on 2nd October and i saw during the last days on Tesla Germany several cars in my config. Now they are sold and i still got no vin assigned. Does anyone know if there are Performances on the Antweerp, because there were on Tesla Hompepage several Performances to sell?
I am a little bit confused......LG Andre (Germany)
I should imagine there are lots of Performance and LR models for Germany on the RCC ANTWERP and TRITON ACE and GRAND AURORA and .....

What are the train things that run down the side of the dock, keeping pace? Are they land tugs pulling it into the dock or just trying to help it not hit the side? I swear that ship could not have been an inch wider and still got in.
They are called mules-manned locomotives. There about 6 (3 either side) of these that pull the ship into the locks and stop the ship hitting the lock gates, It's very skilled job they do but they make it look very easy.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. Impatient
Sorry, not sorry, I am kind of geeking out on this stuff

Panama Canal locks - Wikipedia

Each lock chamber requires 26,700,000 US gal (101,000 m3) of water to fill it from the lowered to the raised position; the same amount of water must be drained from the chamber to lower it again.[1] Embedded in the side and centre walls are three large water culverts that are used to carry water from the lake into the chambers to raise them, and from each chamber down to the next, or to the sea, to lower them. These culverts start at a diameter of 22 ft (6.71 m) and reduce to 18 ft (5.49 m) in diameter, large enough to accommodate a train. Cross culverts branch off from these main culverts, running under the lock chambers to openings in the floors. There are fourteen cross culverts in each chamber, each with five openings; seven cross culverts from the sidewall main culverts alternate with seven from the centre wall culvert.

The water is moved by gravity and is controlled by huge valves in the culverts. Each cross culvert is independently controlled. A lock chamber can be filled in as little as eight minutes. There is significant turbulence in the lock chamber during this process

Looking at the picture provided earlier the see is lower that the land based water ways so the Miraflores dock is raising our ship up and then it will get dropped down again at the Gatun Lock. And every time it does that it empties 26,700,000 US gal from the Gatun Lake into the Pacific and the same amount at the end into the Atlantic

That description refers to the new locks (Cocoli and Agua Clara)
RCC ANTWERP is going through the old locks (Miraflores, Pedro Miguel and then Gatun locks at the Caribbean end).
There are 2 sets of locks at the Pacific end because a geological fault line runs between them and the builders thought it was safer to seperate the locks however perhaps controversially when they designed the new locks they decided to go with just the one set at each end.

Thanks Mr Miserable for continuing educating impatient Tesla buyers like myself. Have been following your posts on RCC ANTWERP. Hopefully my white LR is on that, although I have no confirmation.

Is there no functioning webcam for the Pedro Miguel locks? Seems to be locked onto some parking spots or whatever :-o

Thanks Mr Miserable for continuing educating impatient Tesla buyers like myself. Have been following your posts on RCC ANTWERP. Hopefully my white LR is on that, although I have no confirmation.

Is there no functioning webcam for the Pedro Miguel locks? Seems to be locked onto some parking spots or whatever :-o
No functioning webcam at Pedro Miguel Locks, no - unfortunately.

It looks like the Pedro Miguel camera has been disturbed - which is a great shame since it provides a great view normally.

RCC ANTWERP is now conducting her Panama Canal transit. In about 6 hours she will be in the Caribbean. She will arrive in Zeebrugge on 10 Nov and Southampton on 13 Nov.

TRITON ACE departed Pier 80 at exactly 4am local and wasn't at all intimidated by GRAND AURORA waiting impatiently to dock. At midday Z she was just passing under the Golden Gate bridge. She is due to arrive at the Panama Canal on the evening of 7 Nov. This agrees with my estimate of her arriving in Zeebrugge on 20 Nov and Southampton on 22 Nov.

GRAND AURORA has docked at Pier 80 and will commence loading shortly. I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 24 Nov.

TOSCANA No position update from her. She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 27 Nov.

• Informative
Reactions: ABCTG and Haddock
Getting the maximum number of ships through the locks is a puzzle with many variables and one that numerous universities around the world have attempted to solve once and for all. The trouble is that any algorithm produced to date hasn't successfully factored in all the possible variables and so a human still runs the show from a control room. The problem got more complicated by the addition of the new locks which can take much bigger ships but the canal width at the Culebra Cut still will not allow these big ships to safely pass each other.
So for the moment there is a one way system in force with northbound and southbound waves.