Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GLOVIS SUN continues on track. She is maintaining about 18 kts and has 1009 nm left to run. No significant weather to affect her arrival.
She may route via Brixham to pick up a pilot. She will probably arrive into Zeebrugge in the early hours of Wed 5 Aug. I expect her to then head for Southampton arriving there on Fri 7 Aug (my estimate).

GLOVIS SUN Atlantic Progress.png

GRAND DAHLIA Currently in the Panama Canal. Has revised her ETA to 13 Aug. She has some significant weather enroute to avoid - a brewing storm in the NE Caribbean and the remnants of Hurricane Isaias in the Atlantic later in the week. An easterly bias should do the trick, so my money would be on her routing via the Mona Passage.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN She is making good time down the Pacific coastline. She travelled 387nm in the last 24 hours averaging just over 16 kts. She is on schedule to arrive at the canal entrance on 8 Aug.

GLOVIS SPLENDOR Currently anchored in the San Francisco Bay. She will move alongside Pier 80 early tomorrow morning and commence loading. She is coming to Europe. Departure time yet to be determined but since she is a large ship I would expect 4 full days of loading, so maybe early Friday morning.

RCC ASIA She is enroute to Pier 80 and is due to arrive on Friday night.

We can't yet say which route the GRAND DAHLIA has decided to take but what we can say is she is making a dash for it - 19.9 kts.
She is still in a traffic seperation scheme at the moment and will be for the next 30 minutes or so.
Unfortuneately we will lose terrestrial AIS coverage (free) about then too.
The route forecast on Marine Traffic is not reliable or even accurate and so should not be relied upon.

The weather issue that will be most concerning her will be what is known as INVEST 94L 2020. An INVEST is a met term for a disturbed area that is being monitored for potential tropical cyclone development by the US National Hurricane Centre.
It is marked by the cross in the chart below. What is encouraging is that it hasn't built up much speed in the last 12 hours however it is still being given a 30% chance of developing into a tropical storm.
Hurricane Isaias has been downgraded to a tropical storm however as it tracks north it will bend to the North East into the Atlantic and GRAND DAHLIA will want to ensure that she doesn't cross paths with it. By making an early decision, a course correction of only a few degrees will do the job.
Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 18.24.51.png

I find this comforting while waiting:

If a carrier holds 5500 cars, and is travelling at 18kts then the cargo is travelling at just over 100,000 car-miles/h, or around four times the escape velocity of the Earth. So the cars are collectively trying to get here faster than a Falcon 9 :D

Unfortunately, since they are still in the earth's atmosphere the Max Q figure is off the clock and will have to throttle down, sharpish. :D

Interesting, wonder if my car is on any of these. Just been informed by Tesla that my x will eta Heathrow 2nd week September and I will be informed about specific delivery time when it arrives at port of Southampton. Incidentally I received the Vin on 15/07.
When did you order yours? Ordered mine 17/07 and after calling Tesla last week they confirmed I have been matched to a vehicle but no VIN yet.

I find this comforting while waiting:

If a carrier holds 5500 cars, and is travelling at 18kts then the cargo is travelling at just over 100,000 car-miles/h, or around four times the escape velocity of the Earth. So the cars are collectively trying to get here faster than a Falcon 9 :D
Not as fast as Elon's Roadster though. It's probably got a permanent all-time speed and distance record.

Details here.

GLOVIS SUN Her noon position is shown on the chart below. She briefly popped up on Marinetraffic and other tracking sites just over an hour ago which was a surprise. I expect her to be within normal coverage around midnight tonight. She has about 600 nm to run to Zeebrugge and I reckon she will arrive there around midnight tomorrow.
She will leave Zeebrugge on Thursday night as she is scheduled to arrive in Southampton at 14:30 on Fri 7th.:)

GLOVIS SUN Atlantic Progress.png

GRAND DAHLIA. Her noon position is shown on the chart below. Almost smack in the middle of the Caribbean. It can be seen that she elected to enter the Atlantic via the Windward Passage probably as a result of a decision to avoid the area of INVEST 94L She is maintaining about 18kts and will enter the Atlantic tomorrow afternoon. She should follow the same track across the Atlantic as the GLOVIS SUN. ETA Zeebrugge 13 Aug

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 12.19.37.png

GLOVIS CAPTAIN She is presently about 70nm south of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. She is averaging about 16.4 kts and with just over 2000nm to go to the canal entrance is on schedule. She may encounter the odd thunderstorm tonight but in any case they will not affect her progress. ETA Zeebrugge 21 Aug

GLOVIS SPLENDOR She has just moved alongside Pier 80 in preparation to commence loading later today. ETA Zeebrugge 27 Aug.

i’ve been watching this too. Glovis Safety Is scheduled to arrive 30/8 Jebel Ali, so a crossload is a distinct possibility and the best candidate. Asian Dynasty arrives Sep 9. Torino is the other ship at Southampton Aug 6, but this will be too early.

I've just been looking at the crossload possibility in Southampton from the GLOVIS SUN to GLOVIS SAFETY and concluded that it is pretty unlikely to happen. Whilst both ships are in Southampton at the same time they are using completely separate docks and the timing is not right either.
Likewise with TORINO.