Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you'll find they pay quite a lot.
First of all they have to charter the ship for a one way voyage - it's not on a scheduled route.
A transit of the Panama Canal will easily cost six figures to start with.
It's also irregular.
Although a 'competitive' business, the record shows many court cases saying otherwise. It's probably why so many car manufacturers enter the shipping business.

Referring to the picture, the ship is anchored in the bay because if she came alongside she would start clocking up big fees from the port.
She's not actually due until 08:00 today and so she is saving some money by being in the anchorage.
Most ships like to come alongside a little earlier, say the night before, but in this case a deal was struck to keep the dock free for as long as possible for DONINGTON. As it happens the handling agent for the Tesla will not be ready to receive the ship and start loading until this afternoon and so RCC ANTWERP will not come alongside until around lunchtime (local) today.
RCC ANTWERP can't be too flexible with her departure time because she will have a Panama Canal transit booked. Delaying a canal booking can be an expensive business. A ship of her size will take about 3 days to load at Pier 80. I think we will be looking at a departure on Monday, possibly Sunday night if all goes well. I shall endevour to find out as soon as I can.....

Also a Long time lurker and also thanks Mr M! I don't want to take the thread off topic but I've just received an email for my M3P (ordered Sept) stating that it's been updated and now shows the Uberturbine wheels.

I think it's likely that at least any M3Ps (but possibly also the other specs) coming on these shipments are likely to have the 2021 modifications.

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here, thanks Mr. M for the wealth of information!
Interesting update: tesla has updated their website to show the new refreshed model. Looks like the LR and P models will be getting the refresh this year and the SR+ will only be getting the refresh in feb 2021.
And if I'm not mistaken, range and 0-60 has also had a bump on the updated M3 LR.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 11.28.39.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 11.28.39.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 144
Also a Long time lurker and also thanks Mr M! I don't want to take the thread off topic but I've just received an email for my M3P (ordered Sept) stating that it's been updated and now shows the Uberturbine wheels.

I think it's likely that at least any M3Ps (but possibly also the other specs) coming on these shipments are likely to have the 2021 modifications.

Well spotted. I got a similar email and couldn't see what had changed. Looked again after your post and saw the chrome has vanished.
Anyway, fiver to RNLI for getting off topic :)

Attachments

• tm3.jpeg
    tm3.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: Mr Miserable
I think you'll find they pay quite a lot.
First of all they have to charter the ship for a one way voyage - it's not on a scheduled route.
A transit of the Panama Canal will easily cost six figures to start with.
It's also irregular.
Although a 'competitive' business, the record shows many court cases saying otherwise. It's probably why so many car manufacturers enter the shipping business.

Thanks for the explanation. I still think it's likely inexpensive for Tesla to ship cars to Europe. As MB, VW, Volvo, Audi, Puego, Fiat, etc all ship cars here and only Tesla ships cars there, there has to be a lot of extra RORO capacity back to the old Sod. The ROROs have to pay the Panama Canal fee whether they're empty or full.

I hear what you are saying but at the end of the day Tesla need the RoRos more than they need Tesla
I used to drive a Jeep - that was shipped over here. Additionally, it's not just cars that are shipped by RoRo -tractors and ag equipment, helicopters, boats, you name it.
An awful lot of Mercedes, BMW etc are actually made in USA as Mr Trump found out when he proposed tariffs on them!
Panama Canal fees are a lot cheaper if the ship is empty - a ballast transit. Have a look here for Panama Canal tolls