Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LYDDEN COMPETITION RESULT

We didn't have a direct hit on D9 but the closest was @thelegalbeagle who was just one square out.
Being a legal beagle enjoy the adulation from the forum since it won't come professionally.
I'm sure that is why so many estate agents do the competition too.
It was good to note that many entrants had clearly plotted a great circle course for LYDDEN only to be foiled when due to weather she routed further to the south on a rhumb line course. A dastardly trick, and so all the more kudos to the legal beagle - some kudos rolled up and tied with red twine may be with your clerk in the morning, or maybe not.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr. Impatient
GLOVIS SUN COMPETITION RESULT

Once again the rhumb line gambit proved to outwit our many entrants to this competition and we failed to have a direct hit on Q11.
However the "one square out" T-Shirt goes to @Bantam who has narrowly missed out in previous competitions. Congratulations!
It just goes to show that, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again and you might just become the closest loser.

Not sure I'm thrilled about the RH drive cars being swapped from the RCC Amsterdam onto the GLOVIS CRYSTAL especially as mine is / was on the RCC Amsterdam. Doing this in such a short time frame sounds like a recipe for a few damaged cars. I wonder why Tesla have chosen to do this?

Not sure I'm thrilled about the RH drive cars being swapped from the RCC Amsterdam onto the GLOVIS CRYSTAL especially as mine is / was on the RCC Amsterdam. Doing this in such a short time frame sounds like a recipe for a few damaged cars. I wonder why Tesla have chosen to do this?
They may not have decided to cross load - they may have decided just to unload them and leave them on the dock for the next ship to Southampton - poss GLOVIS SUN.
We won't know for sure what option has been taken until deliveries start happening or get delayed.

My car has been delivered today and it looks great. Thank you Mr. Miserable for all the information and education you have supplied us all during the last three months I have been waiting. I think I will have to keep reading this thread as it has almost become a daily requirement.
I have attached picture of car as it was delivered this morning.

Attachments

• New Tesla.pdf
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 76
Tracking GLOVIS CRYSTAL and the ETA to Southampton was 6.00am and is now 11.00am tomorrow. Is this significant in that it could be cross loading with the RCC Amsterdam? What does draft mean? I assume this will change as one loads and the other offloads but unsure what the % draft means? Sorry for all the questions but this ship tracking is new to me.

GLOVIS SUN COMPETITION RESULT

Once again the rhumb line gambit proved to outwit our many entrants to this competition and we failed to have a direct hit on Q11.
However the "one square out" T-Shirt goes to @Bantam who has narrowly missed out in previous competitions. Congratulations!
It just goes to show that, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again and you might just become the closest loser.

get in

Tracking GLOVIS CRYSTAL and the ETA to Southampton was 6.00am and is now 11.00am tomorrow. Is this significant in that it could be cross loading with the RCC Amsterdam? What does draft mean? I assume this will change as one loads and the other offloads but unsure what the % draft means? Sorry for all the questions but this ship tracking is new to me.

Southampton's arrival schedule has been showing Glovis Crystal as arriving in the afternoon of the 10th, so 6/11am - I wouldn't worry.

A ship's draft "is the vertical distance between the waterline and the bottom of the hull". Not to be confused with a ship's draught - beer covertly made in the back of the engine room and traded between ships of different nationalities as a peace offering.

Also the Glovis Crystal is now back in Zebruggee's lock to head out, as per the 10pm estimated departure time.

Reactions: K44ENT
The Glovis Crystal is on her way to Southampton

upload_2020-12-10_6-53-43.png

Reactions: Matt517
RCC AMSTERDAM is now expected in Southampton next Tuesday morning at 0400.
GLOVIS CRYSTAL is still showing as being due to arrive in Southampton tomorrow afternoon however she may turn up a little earlier.
Any thoughts whether RCC Amsterdam is visiting other places before heading towards Southampton?
Four days idle in Zeebrugge doesn’t seem logical. Visiting ports further away than Amsterdam is probably a stretch. RCC A’dam is not on the schedule of Port of Amsterdam (yet).

GLOVIS CRYSTAL departed Zeebrugge early this morning and has arrived off Southampton only to be told that she won’t be docking until 0315 tomorrow morning.
She is presently about 13nm south of Selsey Bill and she will continue to loiter around there until tomorrow morning.

RCC AMSTERDAM remains alongside in Zeebrugge.
She is booked to arrive in Southampton early next Tuesday morning.
I have suggested before that Southampton is probably not the best port for Tesla since they have limited available capacity and little flexibility to cater for the current ad hoc nature of Tesla’s business. Tesla’s feast or famine logistics don’t easily dovetail into the linear flow model that Southampton port operates. That model has been already seriously disrupted by the pandemic related cruise ship movements. Very large ships occupying berths with no passengers to load/offload ( the passenger handling fees were a key source of income for the port). The cruise ships need to come in to port regularly to resupply and Southampton does not want to lose their business when cruising resumes. The cruise ships are very reliable customers and make their port bookings years in advance in normal circumstances and even now, weeks in advance. That is not the case with the Tesla ships where schedules change at the drop of a hat.

GLOVIS SUN is continuing to average around 18kts on her Atlantic passage.
She has continued on a rhumb line course but this morning she has tweaked it to enable her to pass through the Azores to the east of Pico Island.
Her AIS estimate for Zeebrugge remains 1300z on 15 Dec.

GLOVIS SUN Atlantic Dec 20.png

LYDDEN also altered her rhumb line course yesterday evening by coming left 20 degrees to pass to the north of the Azores
She is currently just under 500nm NNW of Flores Island in the Azores and is still managing to maintain over 18kts.
Her AIS is showing that she aims to arrive in Amsterdam at 0900 on 14 Dec - a very ambitious ETA, although the Port of Amsterdam has her arriving at 1345 on 14 Dec. Surprisingly, at the moment she is on track to achieve the former.

Lydden Atlantic.png

The draft (how much ship is below the waterline) is directly related to the quantity of cargo onboard. Last year or maybe earlier this year on this thread we attempted to calculate the number of cars a ship was carrying by its reported draft but it's not an accurate measure and other unknown variables contribute to the draft figure too (ballast & fuel to name but two of those significant variables).
Harbour authorities, particularly tidal ports (like Southampton) require to know this figure so they can calculate whether a ship can safely enter/leave and load alongside without grounding due to tidal fluctuations. The last thing a busy port wants is a blocked berth or channel.

What happened to Glovis Sun??
1.9kn and changed path
I agree it looks like a sudden 'All stop'.
In the past we have seen ships performing what looks like crew training eg man overboard drills whilst in transit.
The drills never last more than an hour.
I'm unable to monitor this event - SWMBO has plans for me this afternoon, but I will revisit later today.

Last edited: